Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
NotSteve, hope you have electrical power. Ice and snow can be tough on power delivery. Stay warm and safe.

You have a lot more experience with aerial shooting than I. It is intersting to see how you approach it. Never thought of the fishing analogy.

The Q intervalometer is a plus. Having a fisheye is also a big Q advantage. Why do you shoot Raw +jpeg? Post more images.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 01-01-2014 at 08:55 PM.
01-01-2014, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Thanks barondla! I'm working on a Part II that will be more tech oriented (pole design, selection, cam(s), lenses..)

I never did get anything from Ricoh Pentax in Colorado. The lady there will not return any calls or reply to any emails, so it's impossible to order anything from them - unfortunately.
I'm completely disappointed with their lack of service!! I'll try again, see if I can escalate this up their corporate ladder. Maybe I should try top down from their CEO? lol ..

I like most products that "Pentax" makes .. intuitive design, good value, solid product - but God forbid you actually need service or parts!
01-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
You really just need a cheap monopod. I started with a house brand one from Best Buy (big electronics chain in the U.S. and Canada) which only cost about $25. You can even get by without any kind of adjustable head, since you can just vary the angle of the monopod. With your arms outstretched, you'll get about 10-12 feet off the ground, depending on how tall you are.

You can also use painter's poles, which are also quite cheap and extend higher than a monopod, but you need to buy a separate adapter with a tripod thread on it, which is an additional cost/hassle to track down.

So, really, a nice cheap monopod is very effective and worthwhile, which you even have already. In my limited experience, only having a 5 foot monopod and a pole that goes to 10 feet, there's a law of diminishing returns when you start going taller. Increased cost, difficulty in stabilizing the pole/maintaining safety of the equipment any anyone around you... Bigger is not necessarily better.

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
well, it's something I'd never thought of doing.
But now I need to get a pole. Great perspectives you'd never get normally.
Great idea!

Last edited by NotSteve; 01-01-2014 at 06:35 PM.
01-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #19

Thanks for the good wishes Barondla. I was lucky and hardly affected by the storm, but many others were not.

I got into the habit of shooting Raw+JPG when I got my K-5, my first DSLR, mostly because of general clumsiness and it being a lot more camera than I'd been used to. So the RAW was helpful for the extra latitude in post-processing to recover from whatever gaffes happened that day. It's a crutch, in other words.

However, I find it useful for shooting from a pole as well, my thinking being that since I'm shooting blind, I'll need whatever latitude I can get to get a useable image...

I'll find some more images in the next couple days...

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
NotSteve, hope you have electrical power. Ice and snow can be tough on power delivery. Stay warm and safe.

You have a lot more experience with aerial shooting than I. It is intersting to see how you approach it. Never thought of the fishing analoy.

The Q intravalometer is a plus. Having a fisheye is also a big Q advantage. Why do you shoot Raw +jpeg? Post mor images.
thanks
barondla

01-06-2014, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #20

Here's a a trio of shots taken last night in Montreal. It's an outdoor public art installation called "Entre les rangs" (Between the Rows), that is part of the annual Luminotherapie (Light Therapy -- sounds much better/more poetic in French) that runs for a few weeks at Place des spectacles. This is the fourth year the show has been on. I think a bit more height would make a better shot, but I've only got my monopod on hand. First is with the 03 fisheye; the other two with the 02 zoom. The tricky part is that the fisheye lens in particular is quite slow while it requires a relatively slow shutter speed to keep the ISO/noise down. So there's some blur.

You can read about the art piece here:

Luminothérapie's field of swaying stems
01-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
NotSteve, those are some amazing aerial shots. The colors are stunning and vibrant. The high vantage point definetly increases the drama. Great job shooting in such low light. How did the people react to your camera high overhead?

Montreal should be proud of this display. It is quite lovely.
thanks
barondla

Canada, please turn your air conditioner off. The midwestern USA is plenty cold. Thank you.
04-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally had a day that wasn't so windy. Wanted to get the trees from a higher perspective than standard. 16 ft pole held waist high. Q with #03 fisheye. The 3D printed focus lock attachment worked perfectly.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
05-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #23

Pretty nice shot Barondla. Are there still blossoms on the trees? I guess 16' (+ however high you hold it off the ground) might not be high enough to over the tree canopy, but that might make a neat shot. I see you've got a slightly longer pole than when you started. What kind of pole have you got? I sort of pooh-poohed the idea of the focus lock at first, but I am beginning to see its usefulness -- the 03 is a bit fussy to adjust all the time.

If we ever get through this cold spring and into summer, there's a park nearby where large swaths will be covered in blooming flox at some point. It would make for a nice aerial shot I think. Hopefully I'll remember to keep an eye out and will have something interesting to share...

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Finally had a day that wasn't so windy. Wanted to get the trees from a higher perspective than standard. 16 ft pole held waist high. Q with #03 fisheye. The 3D printed focus lock attachment worked perfectly.
thanks
barondla

05-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
NotSteve, I traded the light weight painting pole for a heavy duty window cleaning pole. The taller pole is 3 sections, so it fits into the car easier than the shorter 2 section pole. The weight is a little harder to handle. I see some attach counter weights to the back of the pole for better balance. I need to try it.

You are correct the 16ft pole wasn't tall enough to get above the trees. I am going to see about adding a section to the pole for greater reach. It has been too windy for aerial shooting.

Can't wait to see your images NotSteve.
thanks
barondla
05-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #25

The cherry blossoms are in bloom here for the next few days and I went to check them out the other night. Inspired by Barondla's photo of blossoming trees, I thought to take along a 10' pole to use with Q and 03 fisheye. A couple more feet of height would have been nice, but I was happy enough with a couple of the pix. Also a shot of the Maple Leaf Garden (not the old hockey venue) next to the cherry trees.

05-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
NotSteve, really like the 2nd image. The winding road adds to the composition. Like the way you got up over the trees. This is more what I was trying for. I just needed a taller Pole. Fear that is the normal progression. Ever taller heights.
thanks
barondla
05-21-2014, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

This is as high as I could get in the Everglades without ever leaving the ground!

CLICK image:

Everglades Hiking with an Altitude: Exploring the Slough and Sawgrass Prairies of Shark Valley! | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
05-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Simply amazing image digital029art. Totally awesome view. You get incredible stuff out of the Q.
thanks for sharing
barondla
05-25-2014, 05:42 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Motopole!

05-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Innovative pole shooting! Shooting while moving adds difficulty. Nice images.
thanks for sharing
barondla