Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Share your Q aerial poleshots

Q with Pentax 03 fisheye. 12ft pole. Two shot panorama stitched in PSE11.
thanks
barondla

Attached Images

08-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Er, share my what?
Cool concept, but I haven't even a 10-foot pole to touch my Q with. Clever thread title though and a fun image!
09-05-2013, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #3

^^ Video of Haley Reinhart performing a new song last weekend using this setup:

The audio is from the Zoom H2N recorder. It and the Pentax Q are mounted on a Manfrotto MMC3-01 Monopod that I held over my head. The Monopod is 57.28 inches in height.

The video is shot with the Prime lens but a little blurry. Quite possibly due to operator error. I didn't really know what I was doing and lifted the camera over my head several times to record and it would shut off due to inactivity. At some point I accidentally hit the right buttons and the recording button began flashing. That was just before this song.

Someone paired the audio and video for me. I have some video software and once I install it I may post a link to the original video and audio as recorded by the Q alone.
09-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Er, share my what?
Cool concept, but I haven't even a 10-foot pole to touch my Q with. Clever thread title though and a fun image!
25$ monopod at bestbuy and you are in business. you can use a delayed shutter or a remote

09-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Q with Pentax 03 fisheye. 12ft pole. Two shot panorama stitched in PSE11.
thanks
barondla
I have used that method to inspect my roof and my gutters on my house. I will try something more creative this week-end
09-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Welcome to the Q forum HaleyFan. You are already finding how much fun the Q is. Great first post.

Amazed you held the monopod mounted Q so steady. I would have a tough time with even a grounded pole. The 01 lens makes it even more remarkable. My stills have only been with the fisheye. It is a lot easierto hold the FE steady.

Didn't realize sound from a seperate recorder could be synced with Q video. Without a mic input, thought we were doomed to camera sound. Would love to know what program was used.

Surprised you weren't hasseled by security or fans. The rig had to be noticed and it looks a little ominous for crowd use. It did provide a great view. Rarely see in the crowd shots with no one blocking your view. Well done. Hope you post more.
thanks for sharing
barondla
09-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the welcome. I believe I had an image stabilization function turned on when I shot the video.

To synch up the audio and video you look for something that stands out audibly in the video and then look for the resulting high mark in the visual representation of the audio track. They use a CLAP-board when they make movies because it creates a distinguishable mark for editing purposes (the "clap").

The guy who did the editing said he uses MAGIX Movie Edit Pro to pair the sound and video together ("it was cheap at Best Buy"). Amazon reviews indicate the "Plus" version is much better.

The rig isn't too ominous. I chose a monopod because I thought it would be easier to use in a crowd. With it retracted I could hold it against my chest and easily move through the audience. I actually arrived late and worked my way towards the front. I chose a spot near the center for video recording purposes but that turned out to be the optimum spot for the audio recording (device has two side mics and one center mic).

This was a free show in the city next to Haley's hometown, so I guess security wasn't too concerned about filming. The event organizers later estimated the crowd for the show to be 15,000 people and many of them were recording.

Below is the same audio paired to a video recording shot from the front row by someone using a Canon dslr. Through trial and error, we have found that while the best camera shots come from up close that doesn't seem to be the the optimum place to record audio.

It wouldn't be practical to hold such a heavy camera above your head on a pole. The Q and the Zoom are light enough together that it was no trouble at all - and I have a bad rotator cuff.

11-26-2013, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Birds eye view of fall trees. Q on 12' pole held overhead (approx 17ft total height). Used intravalometer to fire camera. Amazed this could be shot at 1/40 with SR and 03 fisheye. Still need to rig video out to a screen, for easier composing.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-30-2013, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
Here's a few recent ones taken with the Q and 03 on a pole that extends up to 10'. The first two were done at full extension for total height of about 17'); the last one is the 02 and it was taken at about 8-10' high:

12-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Superb images NickLOdeon. Shooting the snow tracks is very creative. Also like the dramatic lighting of the third shot. Did you use the intervalometer?
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 01-01-2014 at 03:51 PM.
12-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Creative indeed. Do you have power now in TO?
01-01-2014, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Albums
Barondla, yes, I did use the intervalometer. I tend to shoot Raw+JPG, so I do find it a bit of hassle to cancel shooting -- the processor is to busy saving the files to register my button clicks trying to stop the sequence. A relatively minor complaint.

I don't actually fish, but shooting blind from a pole seems to be bit like fishing. You cast out your net, haul it back in a see what you've managed to catch. That's a not a complaint, I do enjoy the process, and that it usually produces a useable result.

I first started to shoot on a pole back when my only camera was a Fuji F70EXR, which has no intervalometer. It was kind of eureka moment when I realized the interesting perspective of shooting from a pole, and that I could combine the self-timer and multi-shot mode to give me a few more kicks at the can when shooting blind. The Q is really step forward in that regard -- a proper intervalometer that takes fewer button presses to activate, RAW, the ability to change lenses and the availability of a wide angle lens make it brilliant in fact.

Mamethot, thanks for your concern about the ice storm. They are saying on the news that everyone in the greater Toronto is supposed to be back on the grid as of yesterday. It was really very hard for quite a few people. Thanks to all the hardworking power workers from across Ontario, Manitoba, Quebec, Michigan, etc. who got things back to normal. It has yet to be seen if the powers that be will learn any lessons from this storm and make changes for the future.
01-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #13

well, it's something I'd never thought of doing.
But now I need to get a pole. Great perspectives you'd never get normally.
Great idea!
01-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
Inactive Account

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014 - a Strauss Odyssey:
This one is using the the longest pole I've got!

(click pic)
Courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech

A Kayak Aerial Photography Method | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
01-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very dramatic, digital029art. Creative to the max. Can't imagine shooting from a kayak. I would dump me or the camera in the water. You are the king of aerial pole shooting.

You have a great website. Inspiring and educational.
thanks
barondla

Did you ever get your Q screen fixed?