Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
The ownership ratio of the 06 is significantly lower than other lenses.
I would not let the report of a few duds put you off buying one.
That's precisely what gives me pause. Not as many people have the 06's compared to say, the 02s. How many bad 02s do you hear of, though? Not many at all. (Actually, I don't think I've heard of any.)

But yeah, I may spin the wheel take my chance on one sometime, I dunno... If I do, I'll just make sure I get a new one with a warranty.

08-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gibby, there were 02's with problems. Mostly optical problems. 02 has been out a year or longer than 06. They improved the 02 as time went on. The same is hapening with the 06.
thanks
the Q with 06 is fun!
08-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
They improved the 02 as time went on. The same is hapening with the 06.
Good to know... Maybe by the time I'm ready to buy, the problems will be hammered out. :-)
08-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Wow you are a patient guy Hans. How long has it been now?
Patients ran out yesterday, I e-mailed Claudia, James Malcolm's (VP Ricoh Imaging Americas) assistant with my story and she got the ball rolling. Got a call today new lens is on the way.

Hans

08-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was wondering how long you could hold out. Nice to have friends in high places
08-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
Site Supporter

At the extreme long end, my copy has very poor edges until about f/8.0. For the rest of its zoom range it is excellent.
I have another one coming, bundled with my Q7. When it arrives I will compare closely and keep the better copy.
08-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
bundled with my Q7
You dawg!!
08-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #23

just want to confirm, the 06 doesn't have a quiet AF motor in the lense compared to the 01 and 02, right?

Last edited by 3uddah; 08-31-2013 at 08:30 PM.
08-31-2013, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3uddah Quote
just want to confirm, the 06 doesn't have a "silent" AF motor in the lense compared to the 01 and 02, right?
In use -- in other words, with the camera extended forward at close to arms' length so you can see the LCD, there is no difference in sound level when using any of the AF Q system lenses. I'm sure that differences in the focusing groups for the different models causes some slight differences in sound, and I'm sure there is some level of sound produced, but they're really about as silent as you're probably going to find in an AF lens.

Scott
08-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
In use -- in other words, with the camera extended forward at close to arms' length so you can see the LCD, there is no difference in sound level when using any of the AF Q system lenses. I'm sure that differences in the focusing groups for the different models causes some slight differences in sound, and I'm sure there is some level of sound produced, but they're really about as silent as you're probably going to find in an AF lens.

Scott
hmmm I can still hear a buzzing noise when the 06 lense is autofocusing even at arms' length. It is louder at the wider end of the focal length. The 01 and 02 lenses are pretty much silent to me.
09-01-2013, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Hi 3uddah,

First, I'd see if anyone else can hear the buzzing. People are different, and you might just be oversensitive to something like a particular frequency. If it's audible to others, and you think this might be a problem with the lens, then I'd request a return for exchange from the vendor you bought it from, especially if it's still within the return period.

Scott
09-01-2013, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi 3uddah,

First, I'd see if anyone else can hear the buzzing. People are different, and you might just be oversensitive to something like a particular frequency. If it's audible to others, and you think this might be a problem with the lens, then I'd request a return for exchange from the vendor you bought it from, especially if it's still within the return period.

Scott
I did a test to see if there is any noise from my 06 when focusing, and it does make a sound like tiny gears moving.

To hear it I have to place my ear on the lens barrel when half pressing the shutter button to focus.

The pitch is a bit lower when compared to the similar noise made by my 02.

The difference in volume of the noise is very slight with the 06 being the louder of the two.

TBH I had not even noticed they made a sound, I am used to screwdriven Pentax K lens sounds.

BTW the 06 did a great job last night at a Kellie Pickler concert (my wife is a fan, OK.)

09-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

My 06 is definitely not dodgy. It does make a little AF noise when focusing but I can only hear it when my ear is right next to the lens. I'll check the focus when the sun comes up.

My 02 and 01 also buzz slightly during focusing and I can only hear it when my ear is right next to the lenses.
09-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #29

Hi snostorm and crewl1,

Thank you both for your feedbacks. The 06 lense even if I hold it out at arms length I can still hear the autofocusing quite prominently and other people hear it as well. The 02 lense does make the noise but as you said it is only when I place it to my ears and even up to the ear it is pretty much silent.

I have contacted the supplier and they confirmed that their other stocks of the 06 lense is not making the buzzing noise when autofocusing. As a result, I have arranged a return of my correct copy of the 06 for a replacement.

Hopefully the new copy coming is all good. Figures crossed.

Thanks & Regards,

3uddah

Last edited by 3uddah; 09-05-2013 at 03:41 AM.
09-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Beyond the build and QC questions that have been raised about the issue, I have to admit that I'm yet to see an extremely sharp photo posted out of the lens. It seems to be good overall, but not as sharp as the best images I've seen posted from the Q. I have the 02 which also seems to be OK, but never as sharp as the better adapted lenses I have used. Even the cheap Fujian 35mm prime with no CA adjustment seems to get far more sharpness and image depth out of the Q sensor. For instance, a simple shot from today (probably at f/2.8 or possibly f4):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo