Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yet another Q surprise

I'd known for a while that my generic Q hood can take 52mm filters. While that's pretty cool, the resulting images did nothing in particular for me - so I didn't try all my filters at first.

Today I was shooting a closeup or two from my front porch, and remembered that I have a 52mm +1-diopter closeup filter. I popped it on and was quite surprised and happy with the results. Now the Q takes decent closeups with very blurry backgrounds, almost like a larger sensor would produce!

Just for laughs I sought out a near-infinity shot - and it focused just fine across the street at 15mm! Focus lag was no issue, and taking a shot with and without the +1 showed no strong degradation. Keep in mind that this is a $12-for-three closeup filter, not a high-quality Raynox or other big name. The shot below is at 15mm wide open, and also quite heavily cropped so quality is pretty low. This is with and without the +1, and results are mighty close. Shooting into light would likely be a problem since the filter is outside of the lens hood, but this implies that for a lot of shooting I'd be OK leaving the +1 in place.

Note that I didn't try my +2 or larger diopters, as the +1 results are sufficient for my needs; I could try them for laughs or by request.

08-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Did the focus motor sound like it was straining to move all that hardware?
08-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Most of the hardware you see is the silver plastic hood, so no struggles at all. It focused as well with the lens on as off, so that was a relief.

Maybe it's clearer this way: sturdy hood, +1 52mm filter, and a Q.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 08-30-2013 at 04:47 PM.
08-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For the infinity shots I can see hardly any difference.

Can you show the with/without shots of closeup objects to see what the difference looks like?

I am intrigued about the benefits of this approach vs. an adapted k mount macro lens.

08-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sure I'll play some more tomorrow maybe I'll even try the +2!
09-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
+1 diopter on Q - update

So here are a couple of filter/no filter shots that show a bit more of the blur effect with the +1 filter attached. I couldn't find my +2 - but I did remember once to compare to the in-camera Blur-control function .

Here is a with/without set focused manually on the orb spider - you can see the background is less detailed with the filter (top image):

And this one is top to bottom with filter / no filter / no filter + BC setting:

The BC shot exposed a bit brighter so not a great comparison. I'd say the +1 screw-on is a bit smoother than BC as I see it. These are shrunk shots using Picasa collage, so it might be less clear for you here; I can post the full shots 'tomorrow' if anyone wishes. It should also be done in M mode with fixed ISO and a tripod, if your tester were more rigorous...
09-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A bad-news update - at 5mm the hood+filter combo vignettes the image badly, essentially cropping the corners. I did not determine at what FL this goes away, but it takes care of the always-on concept at least in this implementation.