Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lens Q: would this be worth the trouble?

My dad had many old cameras stuffed into closets, and I've been taking inventory. Among the 'classics' is a super-8 camera with an 8-64mm f/1.7 zoom lens. As a camera it won't be worth much, but I could take out that lens and give it a try on my Q. Even if only the widest part of the range is good it could be a 45-200mm equivalent, and maybe up to 360eq. I have a Q-to-1.25" adapter for my telescope that could possibly help out on the back end.

The camera looks a lot like this one on auction - but with black vinyl instead of the classy wood-grain panels

So has anyone here done such surgery, and was it worth the effort?

08-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It doesn't look like there's a way to adjust the aperture of the lens, that might be kind of disappointing. (I use a bunch of lenses with that problem, but they are super tiny so I put up with it. This one looks pretty big.) I would assume it will be at best mediocre optically, so the surgery would be most useful as practice, but I've been wrong before (plenty of times).