Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #1

First post + seeking ideas :)

Hey there

First off let me introduce myself and tell you where im at and then i have some questions

So i am a resident of Australia and purchased a second hand Nikon D100 on the cheap to to did my feet into the world photography and get away from point and shoot. In anticipation a trip to Europe i also purchased a Sony Action Cam.

I managed to get some reasonable footage and photos but i did not really take it all to seriously, plus carrying around the Nikon D100 every day was a MASSIVE hassle and soon became a chore.

Once got home from my trip, i soon realised that i really enjoyed the whole process plus how easy it was with a little imagination to edit videos ( Imovie ) to something half interesting that you can show friends or family.

So we are off to Europe again this year and we really want be a little more creative and take it more seriously so i have decided to buy a more modern and better quality camera for stills, that also shoots video so we can do a VLOG every few days and put it online to show family and friends what we are up to plus for our own benefit to look back on when the trip is over.

So i suppose im seeking some ideas from you more experienced folk about a potential set up . I have done my research, but as someone who is still very green to photography that can only go so far.

My criteria for this includes..
-Small and compact ( no more lugging around bigger cameras and lenses )
-a healthy compromise between budget and quality
-Ease of use

My planned set up so car includes..

-Pentax Q7 + 15-55mm lens, possibly the 06 telephoto but IMO is surplus to my needs.

-Metz Mecalite for Vlogs on the run in poor lit areas.
Metz Mecalight LED-320 AUSTRALIAN STOCK | CameraPro Australia

-A small microphone of some kind

-Ill have an iPad with Imovie to edit vlogs and upload them while on the run plus extra batteries and memory cars obviously.

Ironically this should all weigh less then my D100 haha.

So any suggestions on anything else i do or dont need would be greatly appreciated as i would like to have a set up that is fun and easy to use. I always found that when i was enjoying taking pics or filming that i found more interesting things while travelling because you have more reason to look behind that corner or find out whats happening in the next street as opposed to just sticking the usual tourist activities.

Thanks guys and sorry for the long winded first up post

08-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's no external mic jack on the Q or Q7, but speaking of my experience doing video on the Q, the audio is surprisingly good.
(A bit shaky, since she had no monopod at the time.)

This kind of level would've clipped on a lot of other video cameras. I think the Q did an admirable job in that department.

Also, regarding the Metz light, I'm sure it's a good one, but you might be able to save quite a bit of money without sacrificing light output by looking at some of the other options on eBay. I've seen similar lights there for around $30.

Good luck & have fun!
Bob :-)
09-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback

I think you may be right about the sound quality. To be honest I am a little relieved as the Q would look a little rediculous with an external mic plus extra lighting haha.

Im still not sure as to if i should get the original Q plus firmware updates or pay a little more for the Q7 . Its highly likely ill get the Q7 but ill reserve my judge,ent until more reviews surface .

I get the feeling not many people use the video funtion of the Q? I can understand that as there are probably better options for the same price.
09-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #4

The Q7 has a constant focus function in video mode. Sounds like this would be useful to you.

09-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shinAUFC Quote
I get the feeling not many people use the video funtion of the Q? I can understand that as there are probably better options for the same price.
I don't use Video on any of my cameras but youtube is full of Q shot video. Several here have shot some great video check posts from Crewl1 and pearsaab

Hans
09-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like to use the video function on the Q as Hans mentions, but typically it is for short sequences of wildlife to accompany the stills I take with adapted lenses.

The good thing about the Q is that the recorded sound is in stereo and decent quality. The Q7 could possibly have better video quality as the stills are better, but the mic is mono.

The Q7 with 02 lens should make a nice lightweight combo if you can live with the compromises:
-Poor battery life so buy extras
-Possible sensor temp warnings if too much video on hot days
09-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The good thing about the Q is that the recorded sound is in stereo and decent quality.
Wait... The sound on the Q is in stereo? Huh... Sweet!

09-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

The Q manual says it has a mono mic. Maybe it has 2 mono mics to make it stereo?
09-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the feed back guys!

Battery life and sensor temp would not be such an issue for me. I generally use my camera in short bursts and turn the camera off as soon as ive turned it on and i will definitely invest in an extra battery.

Im quite happy in regard to the feedback on the Q's sound recording. I really did not want to have a Mic on the Q...... would look a little silly LOL

I have also decided to use an iPhone 4 as a back up ( up until now ive only had a million year old nokia phone with back lit yellow screen and best feature being it has the game snake LMAO )

The Iphone 4 is only 5megapixel and films at 720p but i think will be adequate as a back up and as a means to get multiple camera angles.

Ive got myself an Mcamlite case for the iPhone, the case has a wide and macro lens, cold shoe mount, tripod mount and comes with a serviceable mic.
mCAMLITE | iPhone/iPod Camera Enhancer

Really, at the end of the day its about convenience and fun and simplicity. The quality may not be there with the iphone so much and most might scoff at my choice , but it should be handy all the same and probably teach me much more about trying to get semi decent video/photos in low light conditions. Remembering it is only an addition to the Q also.
09-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoffo Quote
The Q manual says it has a mono mic. Maybe it has 2 mono mics to make it stereo?
I only spotted the single mic pin-hole, so I figured it was mono, but hey - ya never know. Regardless, it has good audio, and that's the important thing.
09-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoffo Quote
The manual is incorrect, or they changed that spec after they built mine.
There are two mic holes on the body, one next to the lens release and the other on opposite side of mount.
Listen to this series of claps recorded with the Q to hear sound transfer from one side to the other.
Attached Images

Last edited by crewl1; 09-10-2013 at 11:31 AM.
09-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The manual is incorrect, or they changed that spec after they built mine.
There are two mic holes on the body, one next to the lens release and the other on opposite side of mount.
Listen to this series of claps recorded with the Q to hear sound transfer from one side to the other.
Ah... I was looking at the wrong hole apparently. Good to know! Thanks for the info! :-)