Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #1

Q10 Flash not working

My Pentax Q10 was working just fine then all of a sudden the flash stopped working. Nothing happened, in particular, one second it was fine, next shot, the flash doesn't go off. I got it in December 2012. It has warranty but it'll take 3 months to get back, help

09-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you maybe switch a control inadvertantly? And did you wait for it to recharge? (sorry for the questions if you already know these things)
09-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Did you maybe switch a control inadvertantly? And did you wait for it to recharge? (sorry for the questions if you already know these things)
I reset it to factory settings and fully charge the battery, still won't go off.
09-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure you don't have the mode dial set where flash isn't used. P mode would be safe for example. No scene modes. Check the quick "art " knob on front of the camera- it should be off. Both of these have caught me out before.

Also check that camera is set to single frame advance and that the ISO isn't set super high. Did you mess with flash firing while extended vs down? Check menu custom functions for this. I have mine set to fire in either position. If it is set to only fire when extended it will not fire when down- even if every thing else is set correctly.

Do you still have flash set to lightning bolt in menu. This would force the flash to fire no matter what the camera thinks.
good luck
barondla

09-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Make sure you don't have the mode dial set where flash isn't used. P mode would be safe for example. No scene modes. Check the quick "art " knob on front of the camera- it should be off. Both of these have caught me out before.

Also check that camera is set to single frame advance and that the ISO isn't set super high. Did you mess with flash firing while extended vs down? Check menu custom functions for this. I have mine set to fire in either position. If it is set to only fire when extended it will not fire when down- even if every thing else is set correctly.

Do you still have flash set to lightning bolt in menu. This would force the flash to fire no matter what the camera thinks.
good luck
barondla
Hi barondla. Thanks for replying. I just tried all these. No luck. I reset it to factory settings, still nothing.
09-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by ksagey Quote
Hi barondla. Thanks for replying. I just tried all these. No luck. I reset it to factory settings, still nothing.
Stop resetting to factory settings. Just go through the settings menu & get the correct configuration.
09-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You haven't, by any chance, tried an old flashgun on your Q? They can have high trigger voltages, often well over 100V even on the small ones. Pentax don't tell us what the 'safe' trigger voltage is, but it's normally reckoned to be around 12V, any trigger voltage higher than this will fry the circuitry.

I hope this is not the case, but I've seen it happen lots of times. It's not covered by the guarantee from any manufacturer.

Chris

09-07-2013, 04:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
Stop resetting to factory settings. Just go through the settings menu & get the correct configuration.
I did put in all the configurations recommended, when that didn't work, I just reset it.
09-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
You haven't, by any chance, tried an old flashgun on your Q? They can have high trigger voltages, often well over 100V even on the small ones. Pentax don't tell us what the 'safe' trigger voltage is, but it's normally reckoned to be around 12V, any trigger voltage higher than this will fry the circuitry.

I hope this is not the case, but I've seen it happen lots of times. It's not covered by the guarantee from any manufacturer.

Chris
I haven't tried that, I was just using it normally, and all of a sudden the flash refused to go off.
« filesize | Q-ties »