Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would removing sensor guard...

... make the Q images sharper? It would make the sensor much easier to clean. Just wondering.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 09-08-2013 at 05:01 PM.
09-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What do you mean by "sensor guard"? Shutter curtain or the glass elements on the sensor? (bayer, AA)

The problem with removing parts from the sensor is that it is very difficult to do without damaging the whole thing, and that it might make the camera malfunction. I seem to remember Pentax stating that you can't just peel the AA filter from a K-5II off to get a K-5IIs. The cameras that are made with different or missing AA filters are engineered around that. Some people try to modify their camera, for example for IR photography, but they usually only replace the parts with different parts (UV filter for an IR filter or a clear element), they can't do without.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-08-2013 at 01:02 PM.
09-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not talking about modifying the sensor. Fairly sure the Q is AA filterless from the factory. I agree that the sensor can't be modified by consumers after manufacture.

There is a guard with glass window that sits approx 2-3mm in front of the sensor. It is not attached to the sensor. Probably designed to protect the sensor, when lenses are interchanged, since there is no mechanical shutter. Looks like this filter/guard could be removed farly easily. So would the Q be sharper without the filter?
thanks
barondla
09-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suspect that might also be the hot mirror. So great to remove if you like IR photos, not so good otherwise. But it's just a guess. If it looked easier to remove than it does I would have tried it, but I don't particularly want to break my camera. If anyone wants to try it, I'd be interested in if my guess is right, and in information on how to do it safely.

Either way I don't expect it to help with sharpness, at least not enough to matter.

09-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Might be a risk related to SR fooling with this. What if the weight of that part is accounted for in the SR mechanism calibration?
09-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Forum Member

Glass, even flat, does introduce some aberrations such as spherical, field curvature, etc when it is put between lens and sensor. It's not of big issue in DSLRs where thickness of filter is small relative to frame size. In almost all small sensored cameras, optical scheme has to take flat glass before sensor in the account... So chances are, you will actually make IQ *WORSE* by removing flat filter (without replacing it with something similar)