Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm pretending I didn't open this thread.

09-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #17
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Moving on. Quickly!
09-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Gotta say, I'm impressed! It would be neat to have a direct comparison shot of the same subject with the same lens & same settings on a Q vs. a Q7 in high res just to see exactly how much difference there is.
09-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lee,

Nice shots with the Q7! I cant wait for mine and I am also keeping my original Q. What are your plans for your Q? I think I will keep mine with the 01 on the Q7 and 03 on the Q. They both fit in a bag that is too small for my K-30!

The Other Lee in Virginia!

09-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quirky Quote
Lee,

Nice shots with the Q7! I cant wait for mine and I am also keeping my original Q. What are your plans for your Q? I think I will keep mine with the 01 on the Q7 and 03 on the Q. They both fit in a bag that is too small for my K-30!

The Other Lee in Virginia!
I had not thought of your plans but it sounds good. I often swap the fisheye on and off when hiking. Great idea to take both and just leave the FE on the Q. I like it!
09-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Gotta say, I'm impressed! It would be neat to have a direct comparison shot of the same subject with the same lens & same settings on a Q vs. a Q7 in high res just to see exactly how much difference there is.
I too would love to see a comparison of shots with all lenses, different iso's, distances, etc. I really don't know how to reduce the infinite number of possibilities to a manageable number. If you have a more specific request I will have time tomorrow to fill it.
09-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I too would love to see a comparison of shots with all lenses, different iso's, distances, etc. I really don't know how to reduce the infinite number of possibilities to a manageable number. If you have a more specific request I will have time tomorrow to fill it.
Would love to see the fisheye on each camera to compare Q7 trimming.
thanks
barondla

09-15-2013, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Would love to see the fisheye on each camera to compare Q7 trimming.
thanks
barondla
I made some comparison FE shots this morning and really screwed up by using a scene that makes it difficult to eyeball the difference. It was my backyard which is all thick trees and bushes. Will reshoot using houses so you can better see the difference. As expected the Q7 looks about 10% wider though. Other than that I saw no difference. Will post better samples later today.

I shot the moon with Sigma 500mm through misty clouds and pushed the vibrance just to bring out as much detail as was capture. the moon barely fit in the frame so no cropping on this puppy, just lots of craters from a Q7!

09-15-2013, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great images and report. Do you have a Q to compare the fisheye coverage with? Wondering how much extra field of view we gain with the Q7? If you do not have a Q/Q10, do the Q7 FE shots have the same file size as your other Q7 shots? This would give an indication of the amount of trimming on the Q7.
thanks
barondla
Here ya go. Enough vertical and horizontal lines to see the FOV difference. Q7 on the left of course.
Attached Images

09-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that moon shot is great'!! How is the 06 zoom lens for wildlife / nature shooting?
09-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #26
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats Lee. Well done with these images and thanks for showing us what the Q7 can do. Small package, big results.
09-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Congrats Lee. Well done with these images and thanks for showing us what the Q7 can do. Small package, big results.
Thanks Ash. Its nice to be able to provide something useful for a change.
09-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deesquared Quote
Wow, that moon shot is great'!! How is the 06 zoom lens for wildlife / nature shooting?
The 06 lens is fine but little short for most of my walk about critter work. I have the most fun with it as a video lens near the bird feeders so I get the zoom and nice dof in the video. For serious video shooting I always use the Pentax adapter and a mid range zoom with aperture ring.

It just seems sinful that I can get more detail on moon shots with the Q/Q7 than I can with a tight crop from the k-5iis and 1000mm of glass.
09-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here ya go. Enough vertical and horizontal lines to see the FOV difference. Q7 on the left of course.
Hey that looks great, love the extra real estate with the Q7.

Do you have an 01 to compare similarly?
09-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I was thinking a comparison to show the difference in image quality due to the new sensor would be useful. So, I suppose something like an ISO 200 shot taken with a sharp lens (like the 01) on the Q vs. the same scene & settings on the Q7. Then maybe a higher ISO comparison with the ISO set at say, 1600 to compare high ISO performance.