Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdp1 Quote
Could be genuine, of course! He didn't say where the image came from, his own cameras or some third party.
Both cameras are mine. The slight off center shot on sensor was made to maximize the color so the sensors stood out.

I believe you can start assuming that a post by a long time member with thousands of posts is legit. Trolls and liars don't stay around.

09-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #17

Check out my join date, you newbie!!! (joke)

Anyhow, in your first message in this thread you said that you expected a larger difference, and so I was wondering what was going on, including the possibility that you might have gotten that image from somewhere else and it might have been more of an illustration instead of an actual photo. After all, the bright colors of the sensor certainly make it LOOK like something which might have been created v.s. photographed.

I suspect that you'd see more of a difference if you retook the image while centered between the cameras, to get rid of any wide(er) angle distortion which may have caused the original Q sensor to appear larger because it's closer to the camera than the new Q7 sensor. For example, try backing up and zooming in as far as you can, to keep relative distances to each camera close to identical. I realize that this will be hard to do while keeping the neat looking reflections of the sensor, though. A head-on flash might at least illuminate the sensors, even if they don't go all colorful like you managed above.
09-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So Lee: I have an elderly Copipod with a 49mm Faceplate somewhere in my legacy collection. I'll dig it out if you want to borrow it.

09-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

All very interesting (really it is LOL), but can you see any difference from a Q in the images it takes? That's what I want to see side by side.

Chris

09-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
All very interesting (really it is LOL), but can you see any difference from a Q in the images it takes? That's what I want to see side by side.
Ditto here.
09-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
was

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
All very interesting (really it is LOL), but can you see any difference from a Q in the images it takes?
Chris
Absolutely. The Q is not much above iso400 but the Q7 provides keepers at iso1600 and even iso3200 with a little clean up. I also like the feel of the q7 and love the horizontall and vertical levels on the edges of the display. However at iso100 I have not discovered a noticeable difference, such as moon shoots with the Sigma 500mm at iso100. Both cameras produce more detail than my k-5iis.

As for your side-by-side improvements, I will bow out now and not steal the thunder from the full review about to be posted by PentaxForums.
09-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@imtheguy, did you notice that the Q7 does not show the lens firmware version in the menu like the Q does?
I went to update the firmware on the new 02 with my Q, but when I put it on the Q7 to check it does not display.

09-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
@imtheguy, did you notice that the Q7 does not show the lens firmware version in the menu like the Q does?
I went to update the firmware on the new 02 with my Q, but when I put it on the Q7 to check it does not display.
Yes, I did notice it missing but did not know if it was now elsewhere or some setting I made. The significance just did not register with me at the moment. good catch