Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q vs Q7 sensor side-by-side

A picture that only the twisted mind of gear head can truly love. Considering how much better the Q7 is past iso400 I somehow expected a larger difference. Enjoy.

09-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
A picture that only the twisted mind of gear head can truly love. Enjoy.

she's purty!!
09-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How big is a Q lens' image circle? I notice that the Q7 sensor is larger. Could the Q series take a sensor closer to the size of the retaining plate without vignetting?
09-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
How big is a Q lens' image circle? I notice that the Q7 sensor is larger. Could the Q series take a sensor closer to the size of the retaining plate without vignetting?
Note that thickness of the retaining plate (top of camera, left of photo) is thinner on the Q7. As much as we'd like the sensor to be the size of the plate, it does not look like the plate is centered within the image circle, and that the largest sensor that can fit within the retaining plate is not significantly larger than the Q7 sensor.

09-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #5

Bogus image? Sensors should be centered in the mount opening...
09-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdp1 Quote
I dont think Lee has any reason to post a bogus image.

The sensor sizes have been confirmed elsewhere, plus if there is a slight angle to the shot it will look decenter-ed.

Chill and enjoy, bdp1.
09-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The sensors are centered in the mount opening. The mounting plates are not.
09-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #8

Pull up the image in your image editor and draw an intersection between the opposite mounting screws around the opening. This is where the sensor should be centered.

Or measure the distance from the edge of the 'sensor' to the edge of the mount or the mounting screws.

This is clearly an illustration instead of a photograph of actual sensors in place.

From Ricoh's website, PENTAX - Q Black shows an illustration of the sensor of the original Q, centered in its mounting plate.

Having said all this, the original point still stands that the Q7's sensor is larger...

Edit: Ok, I can see that the images are not taken straight-on, so this implies that the sensor is pretty deep back in a kind of tunnel compared to the opening of the mounting plate. Pretty wild...

Edit 2: Or, as point out below, more likely the SR sensor shift is letting the sensors move around.

Last edited by bdp1; 09-13-2013 at 09:24 PM.
09-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Lens Buying Addict

Uhmmmm . . . are you forgetting about the SR system? Where is the sensor within the area under the mounting plate when the camera is turned off? Centered? Resting to one side? I've never read the answer.

I'm sure Lee just laid his two cameras down on his desk and snapped a shot or something, but I see no reason for him to fake anything, nor for him to copy someone else's image.

Who really knows what's going on in a corporate product shot - could be as simple as turning the camera on and letting it rest upright on a table so the sensor is centered, which the product. shooter thought looked more symmetrical.

Unless Lee posts otherwise I say his image is genuine.
09-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Where is the sensor within the area under the mounting plate when the camera is turned off? Centered? Resting to one side?
Unless Lee posts otherwise I say his image is genuine.
Good point about the sensor shift.

Could be genuine, of course! He didn't say where the image came from, his own cameras or some third party.

I don't have a Q camera yet. Maybe someone who has one could simply take off a lens and see if you can angle the camera a bit and see the sensor this far off center.
09-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Forum Member

I'd love to see some Q vs Q7 shots side by side. Both taking the same photo to compare.
09-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I picked up the Q7 today and did some comparisons too. the sensor really is bigger. But I haven't given it a proper spin yet, I have found AF quicker, I like an iso100, but so far I'm not sold on my purchase yet. I love my original Q, but the plasticy body is leaving me a bit underwhelmed.

09-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pull up the image in your image editor and draw an intersection between the opposite mounting screws around the opening. This is where the sensor should be centered.

Or measure the distance from the edge of the 'sensor' to the edge of the mount or the mounting screws.

This is clearly an illustration instead of a photograph of actual sensors in place.

From Ricoh's website, PENTAX - Q Black shows an illustration of the sensor of the original Q, centered in its mounting plate.

Having said all this, the original point still stands that the Q7's sensor is larger...

Edit: Ok, I can see that the images are not taken straight-on, so this implies that the sensor is pretty deep back in a kind of tunnel compared to the opening of the mounting plate. Pretty wild...

Edit 2: Or, as point out below, more likely the SR sensor shift is letting the sensors move around.
The registration distance is 9.2mm. That's the distance between the sensor and the mating surface of the mount. The distance between the mount and the apparent surface of the sensor is much smaller. So yes, the sensor is "back in a tunnel". You can also verify this by looking at it, on whatever version of the Q you have.

The SR moves the whole plate with the sensor in it (they grey thing with two little nubs), so that's not why it looks decentered. But anyone who takes photos should be aware of how easily things end up not being straight. In the Q7 part of the shot it's east to see that the rest of the camera isn't shot striaght on either, so I see no reason to suspect any fakery.
09-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I picked up the Q7 today and did some comparisons too. the sensor really is bigger. But I haven't given it a proper spin yet, I have found AF quicker, I like an iso100, but so far I'm not sold on my purchase yet. I love my original Q, but the plasticy body is leaving me a bit underwhelmed.
So are you going to be the first to stuff the Q7 guts into a Q body? DO IT!
09-15-2013, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
So are you going to be the first to stuff the Q7 guts into a Q body? DO IT!
interesting idea... but no, I'm not up for that challenge. I'm liable to be left with two unworking cameras if I did.