Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, I guess the Q cameras don't compress their DNGs to speed up shooting speed (which is a good thing). All I'm saying is that raw files, like jpegs, can be compressed, just not in a lossy manner.
Given how slow the card controller in the Q is I'm not sure they really save time, even with the slow CPU. (No way to know unless they enable compression in a new firmware.) And even if they do I'd appreciate the option of smaller files.

But you're wrong about DNG, it does support lossy compression (using JPEG coding even). Introduced in version 1.4.0.0 of the format, only allowed for LinearRaw 8 bit integer data. (The DNG idea of linear is kind of strange though, you can have a lookup table to make it as non-linear as you like.) (I'm ignoring the embedded JPEG images that have always been supported.)

09-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

A few other observations regarding the JPEGs offered. Clearly, the MX-1 processing is showing some artifacts. DPreview has a policy to shoot studio scenes at default settings (apparently based on the assumption that its readers aren't likely to think for themselves to determine the most favorable settings). Not to say that the Q7 output is more pleasing, but processing (sharpening) could arrive at a more similar outcome. If you are trying to confirm the sensor similarity, take JPEG processed screenshots out of the equation and compare RAW. While I am not about to defend the 02 as the sharpest lens out there, based on my experience with that lens I seriously doubt it performs that poorly (even a bad sample). It does appear that the shot was out of focus (not an infrequent situation for DPreview).

I'm not saying one camera is better than the other, but I seriously doubt that their IQ performance could be that starkly different if all factors in the setup are otherwise equal. In fact, I doubt that the original Q / 02 (which I have) would be nearly as far behind the sharpness rendered by the MX-1 in studio.
09-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Pentax Q7 vs MX-1 = same CMos / different DSP

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
... It does appear that the shot was Out Of Focus (not an infrequent situation for DPreview)...

better have a look at the DPReview Samples before Posting ?
see the RAW image from the Pentax Q7 is as Good & Sharp as the MX-1...
versus iso 800, 1600, 3200, etc... JPEGs are way too much Smoothed by the DSP !
=> the MX-1 High Iso OOC JPEGs are much better !

- Q7 left --- MX-1 right
- RAWs up --- JPEGs down
+ take a look at the JPEG-size :
MX-1 Jpg-size is 47% bigger than Q7 :

and exactly the same difference from the Imaging-Resource iso 3200 samples :

- I-R = MX-1 left / Q7 right
JPEG Size = 6 MB vs 3.5 MB !

Pentax Q7 vs MX-1 = same CMos / different DSP !
because it's a DSP issue... we can just hope a Firmware Update...
... for the Pentax Q7 to reach the MX-1 OOC IQ !

wait & see...

Last edited by geo444; 09-25-2013 at 02:56 AM.
09-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Another good reason to shoot raw, isn't it?