Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting the pics taken with the Q7, Dave. I have a couple of Q bodies, and might have to sell one and replace it with the Q7.

09-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
how's the responsiveness of the camera compared to the original Q? does the LCD screen appears to be better in bright sunlight? how is the camera in low light in terms of noise and focus speed? thank you for posting all that you have it looks very good
Vagrant...my apologies for not responding. I'm going to try to do some side-by-side comparisons.

My initial reaction was that the Q7 screen was much better. But I'm going to do some testing tomorrow.
09-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter

no worries thanks for everything that you have posted so far and I look forward to hearing what you think of it when you have time to play with it
09-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for posting those real-world shots, Dave. I'm even more tempted now.

09-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
how's the responsiveness of the camera compared to the original Q? does the LCD screen appears to be better in bright sunlight? how is the camera in low light in terms of noise and focus speed? thank you for posting all that you have it looks very good
The Q7 is slightly more responsive than the Q. I sat with them side-by-side and they were essentially comparable except when scrolling through pictures. The Q7 moved thru pictures a little bit more quickly than the Q. But overall, nothing dramatic.

Onto the LCD screen. At the default brightness setting, the Q7's LCD definitely looks better than that of the Q...the difference was noticeable. However, when I boosted the brightness on both to "max" then they were equivalent...I saw no difference. So if your Q is giving you problems outdoors...boost your display brightness to max...it really helps.

As for low light...it is definitely an improvement. ISO800 looks really good.

A few months ago I picked up a Canon EOS-M when they had a fire sale ($299) on them to clear out inventory. The EOS-M has the same sensor as the Canon Rebel T4i but in a very compact body (slightly larger than a typical point-and-shoot. The large sensor makes the EOS-M ideal for low light and that is what I often carry with me. The EOS-M is pocketable with the 22mm pancake lens. And the low light performance of it is outstanding.

I carry the Q7 when I want to be as portable as possible but still carry a selection of lenses. Its nice to carry the Q7+01 in one pocket of my cargo shorts and then keep the 06 and 03 lenses in the other pocket. I carry the EOS-M when I want a pocketable camera and I know I'll be shooting indoors where I don't need more than just a prime lens.
09-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

A question Dave. Have you noticed the Q7 struggling with white balance especially for tungsten light? Some Pentax DSLRs suffer from this and I'm curious if the same problem exists on the Q system.
09-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
The Q7 is slightly more responsive than the Q. I sat with them side-by-side and they were essentially comparable except when scrolling through pictures. The Q7 moved thru pictures a little bit more quickly than the Q. But overall, nothing dramatic.

Onto the LCD screen. At the default brightness setting, the Q7's LCD definitely looks better than that of the Q...the difference was noticeable. However, when I boosted the brightness on both to "max" then they were equivalent...I saw no difference. So if your Q is giving you problems outdoors...boost your display brightness to max...it really helps.

As for low light...it is definitely an improvement. ISO800 looks really good.

A few months ago I picked up a Canon EOS-M when they had a fire sale ($299) on them to clear out inventory. The EOS-M has the same sensor as the Canon Rebel T4i but in a very compact body (slightly larger than a typical point-and-shoot. The large sensor makes the EOS-M ideal for low light and that is what I often carry with me. The EOS-M is pocketable with the 22mm pancake lens. And the low light performance of it is outstanding.

I carry the Q7 when I want to be as portable as possible but still carry a selection of lenses. Its nice to carry the Q7+01 in one pocket of my cargo shorts and then keep the 06 and 03 lenses in the other pocket. I carry the EOS-M when I want a pocketable camera and I know I'll be shooting indoors where I don't need more than just a prime lens.
Thanks much Dave! I'm pretty sure I will get one, but it's just a question of when. I also like the Q for it's system portability but would like some improvements that the Q7 offers. Your experience with it helps me gauge how much better it is in certain areas. Again, thanks for sharing your experience and taking the time to compare.

Take care,
Mike
09-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
A question Dave. Have you noticed the Q7 struggling with white balance especially for tungsten light? Some Pentax DSLRs suffer from this and I'm curious if the same problem exists on the Q system.
Alizarine...I haven't "noticed" it. What effect does tungsten light have on some Pentax cameras? Maybe I can set up an experiment to test it out.

09-28-2013, 03:25 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Alizarine...I haven't "noticed" it. What effect does tungsten light have on some Pentax cameras? Maybe I can set up an experiment to test it out.
on some (the K-r is said to have the worst particular issue with tungsten light), the AF becomes inaccurate/hunts, and on my K-x it the meter judges one stop or more under-exposed in Av/Tv mode.
09-30-2013, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
on some (the K-r is said to have the worst particular issue with tungsten light), the AF becomes inaccurate/hunts, and on my K-x it the meter judges one stop or more under-exposed in Av/Tv mode.
Alizarine...I haven't noticed any issues like this...even under tungsten light. And I've used it under tungsten light quite a few times (without flash).
10-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Alizarine...I haven't noticed any issues like this...even under tungsten light. And I've used it under tungsten light quite a few times (without flash).
That's great to hear! Thanks for the info Dave!