Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My Q7 arrives tomorrow...

...so my Q will be listed shortly (most likely with the kit zoom that comes with the Q7).

I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
...so my Q will be listed shortly (most likely with the kit zoom that comes with the Q7).

I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
I envy you, Dave! I'm moving soon to a more expensive city and have to save. Look forward to seeing some of the results.
09-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tomorrow is today - looking forward to hearing your opinion.
09-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
tomorrow is today - looking forward to hearing your opinion.
Just finished setting it up. I took a few quick pictures indoors and outdoors just to check it out. ISO800 is pretty impressive.

I'm heading out to take my daughter to her karate class so I'm taking it with me (and the 06 lens) and will test it in real world conditions.

I'll post some pictures tonight.

09-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cool! thanks!
09-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

look forward to seeing them!
09-19-2013, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll post some quick thoughts. Today was a crazy day because I had to take my daughter to karate, then fix our grill, eat dinner, and head out for a teacher-parents meeting at our school. So my time with the Q7 was limited.

I won't post any karate pictures since most of the pictures have other children in them and I don't post pictures of other parents' children without their permission.

I had a few minutes to take a few test shots before I ran out for Karate. My dogs weren't very cooperative but I was pretty pleased with what iso800 delivered indoors. This is not a great shot...but here is what Milo looks like when I'm rushing around to leave the house:

I love the enhanced support for Eye-Fi cards. I was able to snap a bunch of photos in my office, and then choose just one to download to my iPhone. With every other camera I have used, Eye-Fi downloaded every picture...even if I only wanted one of the pictures. The Eye-Fi support is nice.

I will take some side-by-side photos tomorrow to compare the Q7 vs. the Q. On Saturday I have tickets to the Rutgers-Arkansas football game so I may take it along to try out the 01, 03, and 06 lenses.

09-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that's pretty impressive. Your dog does not look happy, like Milo knows you are going to be leaving. I'm going to be really interested to see how you do with it.
09-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, ISO800 looks pretty good! Did you have the JPG quality settings at max?
09-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This picture was shot RAW with some basic Lightroom adjustments. I'll check to see if I still have the JPG straight out of camera.
09-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few more snapshots from today. These are JPGs straight out of the camera...no editing.

The movie theater was in some heavy shadows due to the sun...but the Q7 seemed to do a nice job balancing the dynamic range.

09-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting the photos! I did some good old fashioned pixel peeping and the quality of the image looks really nice. Sure, we can always pick out some sensor and JPG noise but I think the colors came out nice, the dynamic range is well exercises, and they are plenty sharp. So many reviews seem to say that IQ is poor but these images tell me otherwise.
09-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Thanks for posting the photos! I did some good old fashioned pixel peeping and the quality of the image looks really nice. Sure, we can always pick out some sensor and JPG noise but I think the colors came out nice, the dynamic range is well exercises, and they are plenty sharp. So many reviews seem to say that IQ is poor but these images tell me otherwise.
I agree with Boris (without having done any pixel peeping). Really liked the old fashioned cinema too.
09-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did some quick adjustments on the movie theatre shot. The RAW files hold alot of detail.

09-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how's the responsiveness of the camera compared to the original Q? does the LCD screen appears to be better in bright sunlight? how is the camera in low light in terms of noise and focus speed? thank you for posting all that you have it looks very good