Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2013, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #1

Q7: My First Pentax Experience

I obtained a PENTAX Q7 review unit a few weeks ago and have been using it quite a bit.

This is my first time using a Pentax camera, and I have to say, I now understand the passion that loyalists feel for this brand, even if the decidedly lower end Q is more hobbyist than hardcore. No, it may not have the legendary build quality that I've heard so much about, but it does have a fantastic user experience, none the less.

It amazes me that a camera so small still manages to have such a classic photography interface. I love direct access dials and buttons on my cameras, and hate diving into menus, so the Q really appealed to me. I also was looking for something that would be as light and small as possible, but still retained lots of easy, manual control, and Raw shooting. While I would have preferred a bigger sensor, the 1/1.7 produced some very nice images.

The Q inspired me to produce my very first ever video review, and I've posted it on YouTube. Its a little unpolished, but I hope it conveys my enthusiasm for this little camera. I was partly inspired by Blunty, on YouTube, whose effusive praise of the original Q really piqued my interest in the device.

I hope to get my hands on a GR some time soon -- that looks like the ultimate street shooter.

Please check out my review -- i'd welcome some constructive feedback:

Best,
Doug

09-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
liked the style a lot - some effects kept things interesting (perspective change of the 5d, God's fingers pointing at things). Voice wasn't always keeping up w/ the video, but that's just a nit. Good review overall, but since it's a system, some talk about lens qualities would have been welcome. Music at the end was perfect for your city shots - I ended up downloading it. Thanks for the lead - and for the vid too!
09-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to the world of Pentax!! I'm glad that you are enjoying your Q7. Now go out, make some good shots, and have fun!!
09-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome Doug enjoy your Q

Hans

09-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done! Welcome & have fun with your Q7.
09-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done. I really appreciate the clear articulation, there are so many videos I can't bear to listen to. I think you have done this before. While certain parts move pretty fast, one can always rewind. The video would be awfully long otherwise.
09-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Really nice street shots!
09-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this highly enjoyable review. Looks like you enjoyed a splendid day in the city.

10-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
liked the style a lot - some effects kept things interesting (perspective change of the 5d, God's fingers pointing at things). Voice wasn't always keeping up w/ the video, but that's just a nit. Good review overall, but since it's a system, some talk about lens qualities would have been welcome. Music at the end was perfect for your city shots - I ended up downloading it. Thanks for the lead - and for the vid too!
Thank you!
10-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Welcome to the world of Pentax!! I'm glad that you are enjoying your Q7. Now go out, make some good shots, and have fun!!
Excellent advice!
10-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Well done. I really appreciate the clear articulation, there are so many videos I can't bear to listen to. I think you have done this before. While certain parts move pretty fast, one can always rewind. The video would be awfully long otherwise.
Thank you Arnold! Sorry about the fast talking! I'm a native New Yawker, but don't hold that against me!
10-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Thanks for posting this highly enjoyable review. Looks like you enjoyed a splendid day in the city.
Yes indeed. The Q7 was the perfect companion -- light, silent, great IQ. I miss it already!