Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Q for copying slides?

From time to time I need to copy some old 35 MM Kodachrome slides. I have never had much luck using scanners. Does anybody have a thoughts on using the Q for copying slides. Will it even work? The only Q lens I have is the 02. I do have a Photodiox adapter, and some Oly OM glass.

09-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'd be doing about a 5:1 reduction, so depending on your Oly glass, it could work.
I wouldn't dream of using any of the Q lenses, not least because of their extreme geometric distortion.
09-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lacro Quote
From time to time I need to copy some old 35 MM Kodachrome slides. I have never had much luck using scanners. Does anybody have a thoughts on using the Q for copying slides. Will it even work? The only Q lens I have is the 02. I do have a Photodiox adapter, and some Oly OM glass.
I would opt for something with a bigger sensor and quality glass / a stable setup.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have never tried it with the Q. It would probably work. One problem could be any OM lens is going to be a telephoto lens on the Q. So the camera will have to be farther away from the slide. This might make it harder to align every thing just right. You need to try it. Either way it will be fun.
thanks
barondla

09-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My own set up for copying slides is a slide carrier in front of a soft-box with a TTL flash in it, used as a light box, line everything up and it's a case of clean the slide, place in the holder and copy it, next.... you can copy slides quickly. I tend to use my K-01 with a macro lens, the trick is you don't want any light shining onto the camera side of the slide as that will reduce contrast (and may cause a flare), so I have a tube from the macro lens to the slide carrier, it certainly improves things. Just a cardboard tube painted matt black on the inside.

The slide carrier is just a lamination of card to position the 2" square slides in the same place mounted to a vertical board. The whole set up took me half a day to concoct.

With the increased distance from the slide carrier with the Q it would make it slightly more difficult to keep any light off the surface of the slide on the camera side, but certainly not impossible.

Chris
09-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
If I use one of my Oly lenses, such as my 50 1.8 would extension tubes help decrease the focusing distance from the slide?
09-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Extension tubes will allow the OM 50 to focus closer. That is not necessarily what you need with the Q. Remember, the Q crops the 35mm image by approx 5.8 X. So you get closer with tubes and maybe crop a lot of your slide. If I get some time will try a 50mm lens and see how far away it is to get the complete slide in the frame.

Another problem is the Q is a different aspect ratio vs 35mm. The Q can be set for the correct 3:2 ratio, but that means cropping a small sensor even further, loosing megapixels. Depending on your end use it may not matter.
thanks
barondla
10-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Copy of a 35mm transparency. Used Q/02 lens on tripod, aimed at a lightbox (cri 91 flourescent tube). Fitted a 37mm +10 closeup filter (with adapter to fit 40.5 filter threads). With the zoom at about 10mm the long ends of the slide filled the frame. I cropped the top and bottom of the slide mount out in Elements 11.

Best aperture seems to be around f6.3. ISO 125 Raw converted in Silkypix. Normal sharpening and adjustments.

thanks
barondla

Attached Images

10-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

Original Poster
Barondla,
Forgive my ignorance, but +10 close up filter?? I have only seen +1-4, and I have 1,2, and 3 close up lens filters. Your slide copy looks really good. I am getting
descent results with the OLY 50 1.8 with no extension or CL filter, but not as good as yours with the 02 + CL filter. How far from the slide are you shooting with your set-up?

Thanks,
Lacro
10-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Lacro, the +10 close up lens is sold by Lensbaby in a kit that also includes a +4. With lots of LB stuff, I picked up the 40.5-37 step down adapter to fit the Q system. The LB close up filters don't add any special effects.

Lied about normal sharpening. Forgot to sharpen after reducing for the web. It should look sharper.

Some close up filter kits have a fourth filter(+10) in them. I have seen Bower sell these. Don't know if they have a 40.5 size. Wouldn't be surprised, since Olympus m4/3, and Nikon 1 also use this size filter.

Didn't pay attention to distance from slide. Guessing 8".

Hope this helps
barondla