Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
This is just not true. You can do quite fine with fast (1.4 or better) aperture quality c mounts from tamron, fujinon or pentax, and depending on the focal length they are more compact than the 01. Old Cine lenses can also be found for far far less than $500 dollars, more like $50, if you're willing to do your homework and look around. My most used lenses are 17mm machine vision c-mounts and various cine lenses. That said it's still hard (perhaps impossible) to beat the 01 for a 'normal' focal length Q lens, but I prefer c mount primes over the Q zooms.
I agree that my off the cuff price was too high, but unless I'm looking in the wrong places, most good quality wide (5-15mm) primes in C or D are 100-200 depending on condition, with many of the exotics in the 500-1000 range. Those S-K lenses look great, but are priced pretty high (at least more than $50) for those machine lenses which are hardly compact...
I also haven't seen many C mount lenses under 50mm that are more compact with an adapter than the 01.
I also agree with you on the bokeh point, but I figured for the purpose of the discussion, telling Tad there is no appreciable bokeh and letting him be surprised is better than promising him bokeh and then having him disappointed when he doesn't get the bokeh he wants from a standard focal length.

Link below to some examples of bokeh on a Q. Note the 476mm equivalent focal length.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51345906

10-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
Forum Member

The Contax and M39 adapters are short in length. If 50mm is an option, an M39 Industar 50-2 F/3.5 might be what you are looking for. I have the M42 50-2, it's exceptionally sharp and a great macro lens. They can be found on eBay for about $25 including shipping. Elgeet made a few lenses with the Contax mount which the adapter is merely a collar. I have some luck with a 50mm series E F/1.8 Nikon and the Q in birding.

There's an Industar 69 28mm F/2.8 pancake lens, I have not done any research on it but it looks good. Here's a link to one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDUSTAR-69-2-8-28-Russian-Wide-Angle-Pancake-Lens-M...90560815478%26

Here's a link for a search on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=INDUSTAR-69

Last edited by CheepShot; 10-10-2013 at 08:40 AM.
10-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theeggplanthunter Quote
I agree that my off the cuff price was too high, but unless I'm looking in the wrong places, most good quality wide (5-15mm) primes in C or D are 100-200 depending on condition, with many of the exotics in the 500-1000 range. Those S-K lenses look great, but are priced pretty high (at least more than $50) for those machine lenses which are hardly compact...
I also haven't seen many C mount lenses under 50mm that are more compact with an adapter than the 01.
I also agree with you on the bokeh point, but I figured for the purpose of the discussion, telling Tad there is no appreciable bokeh and letting him be surprised is better than promising him bokeh and then having him disappointed when he doesn't get the bokeh he wants from a standard focal length.

Link below to some examples of bokeh on a Q. Note the 476mm equivalent focal length.
Pentax Q with Samyang 85mm 1.4: Pentax Compact Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The bokeh on this 16mm is pretty good, if you look at the shot with the nail in the wall the bokeh starts to get swirly at 70ft or so.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested-q-r...ml#post2536048
10-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Ok to your question, any pancake lens from other manufactures will not work as expected on your Q because of the crop factor. A Micro 4/3 pancake will turn into a telephoto on the Q. You will need a 8 to 5mm or smaller lens in a C or D mount that covers a 1/2" sensor. I have been looking for that animal for a year and have yet to find one. I have adapted several CS mount lenses to an altered D mount adapter but the IQ has been poor. Adapting lenses to the Q results in super telephotos, a 28mm turns into a 154mm EFL lens. I believe your best bet is to look for 16mm movie CINE lenses they are C mount.

Hans
I have a Fujinon c mount 6mm f1.2 I'm not sold on the IQ as I need to use more and see what it is capable of but it sounds like it fits the parameters you gave.