Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
curious how to best use qk adapter and m42 lens

i was playing around yesterday with a Tair-11A 135mm f2.8 M42 screw mount with a pentax screwmount adapter to the q-k adapter on the q...i was using the av setting on the adapter but was curious would the f setting have any impact on the pictures...didn't have alot of time to play with it so thought i would ask the experts..it did seem to make a difference what i set the f on the lens to as well as on the pk adapter..thanks!!!

10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the only difference is that the lens's aperture stops are labeled while those on the adapter are not. The effect will be the same, but you'll of course get more control when adjusting the aperture using the ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i was playing around yesterday with a Tair-11A 135mm f2.8 M42 screw mount with a pentax screwmount adapter to the q-k adapter on the q...i was using the av setting on the adapter but was curious would the f setting have any impact on the pictures.
AFAIK, the aperture setting on the adapter (1, 2, etc.)
should only set the aperture on a mounted A-type lens
with its aperture ring at its "A" setting
(or a DA lens, which doesn't have an aperture ring anyway).

So with an adapted M42 lens, you'd be best to have the K2Q adapter
at its "L" setting (meaning aperture controlled directly by the ring on the lens).
Then make sure the M42 lens is not set for "Auto" (if it even has that setting),
so the aperture ring on the lens directly stops down the iris.

(But you may want to have the lens opened up for focusing.)
10-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the only difference is that the lens's aperture stops are labeled while those on the adapter are not. The effect will be the same, but you'll of course get more control when adjusting the aperture using the ring.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
AFAIK, the aperture setting on the adapter (1, 2, etc.)
should only set the aperture on a mounted A-type lens
with its aperture ring at its "A" setting
(or a DA lens, which doesn't have an aperture ring anyway).

So with an adapted M42 lens, you'd be best to have the K2Q adapter
at its "L" setting (meaning aperture controlled directly by the ring on the lens).
Then make sure the M42 lens is not set for "Auto" (if it even has that setting),
so the aperture ring on the lens directly stops down the iris.

(But you may want to have the lens opened up for focusing.)
thanks guys!!! will probably only be able to check it out this weekend but have a decent idea on what to try now..thanks

10-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Amy: I searched the converted lens Table for "Takumar" and came up with 5 or 6 links. Each one referred to setting the aperture on the lens, not on the converter. There wetre a few that used the OEM converter and a few used the Fotodiox. No one described whether to set the OEM at 0 or 10 or in between. The best series on posts starts HERE Keep scrolling

You might try a CTRL_F search of the Table for M42 also.
10-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have several M42 lenses and my Pentax OEM and my 3rd party adapter have no effect on M42 lenses regardless of how you set the adapter aperture ring. Both adapters do not touch the aperture pin on a M42 lens. You must use the lens ring to set aperture.

Hans

Last edited by hnikesch; 10-28-2013 at 07:47 PM.
10-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I have several M42 lenses and my Pentax OEM and my 3rd party adapter have no effect on M42 lenses regardless of how you set the adapter aperture ring. Both adapters do not touch the aperture pin on a M42 lens. You must use the lens ring to set aperture.

Hans
thanks hans and paul!!!