Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #16
Forum Member

Surprised we haven't heard anything about the telephoto macro lens they have as upcoming on the lens roadmap. That's what I'm anxious to hear more about.

11-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I'd like is a Q superzoom... Something like a 28-200 or 28-300 equivalent for the Q. For those times I want to go extremely light. Don't know if they could pull that off well, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Q is meant for scrapbook type of work by its own designers
I'd say it's quite a bit better than that. I've seen some staggeringly good shots of all kinds taken with the Q. There's at least one PF member (Pinholecam) who does some amazing stuff with the Q. Here's his flickr Q album.
11-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From the pentax ricoh site:
QuoteQuote:
Wide-angle zoom
08 WIDE ZOOM The use of glass mold aspherical lens of three ", has been achieved with the lens length of the shortest about 38mm, the size and weight of about 75g weight in the Q mount zoom lens. Size and be able to carry it willingly, 35 mm Taking advantage of the angle of view of the 27mm equivalent from focal length 17.5mm in size conversion, you can use and narrow space that does not take the distance to the subject, such as landscape that emphasizes the sense of perspective is vast, in a variety of applications. further, aluminum cutting cam tube is adopted, and has realized the operation feeling of high-quality smooth.
3.8mm ~ 5.9mm (17.5 ~ 27mm equivalent 35mm format) F3.7 ~ 4 "
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/q7/lenses/index.html
11-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #19

How wide is 17.5? This is the lens I've been waiting for. My use is for architectural interiors... Will it be wide enough?

11-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
3.8mm ~ 5.9mm (17.5 ~ 27mm equivalent 35mm format) F3.7 ~ 4 "
Note they are quoting Q7 conversion factor - on the Q it will be 20 - 33 mm equivalent.

Still pleased to see that Ricoh is surging ahead with the Q mount, as was told to us in the Q call a few months back.
11-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

21.28 on the q/q10 that's about 14mm aps-c equivalent. Still pretty wide. On the Q7 it's a aps-c 11.7-18 on the q-q10 a 14-22 aps-c equivalent
11-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote

I'd say it's quite a bit better than that. I've seen some staggeringly good shots of all kinds taken with the Q. There's at least one PF member (Pinholecam) who does some amazing stuff with the Q. Here's his flickr Q album.
It's meant that Pentax collects all the scrap around the floors, puts all in bags, writes it all in the book, and gives the book to its optical division to see what's available to make lenses.

Jokes aside, I know what Q is capable of, and only 01 prime lens truly shines. 02 is a dud compared to it.

Pentax Q zooms, even 06, are cheaply made, flimsy, they just ooze scrapyard quality. I'm sorry to say that, but they do. At least I had hoped 08 lens could be a faster wide prime of the 01 image quality (and slightly better construction), but they give us ultraslow zoom scrapyard lens.

What Pentax doesn't get for some reason, is that MX-1 lens, or a lens in any dedicated modern compact camera with 1/1.7" sensor, is far superior to 02 lens. And they sell Q in kits with 02. Actually, 02 is horrible compared to modern dedicated compact zoom lenses. Only 01 lens compares favourably in resulting images when compared to other compact cameras — which was visible from the DPR test, for example.

So in that focal range, from 28-80mm, Q gives absolutely no incentive for people to buy it (and substitute their compact camera), and is a total waste of a product line in that range. The most obvious purpose of the Q — possible higher quality interchangeable lenses for small sensor across the focal lengths — are not there. Now after the 07 lenscap (!), and 08 lens which turns out to be a slow zoom made to be superlight, and endless wait to see some sense in all this, I finally figure out that Pentax Q is actually a total waste of time.

Seriously, why did they make a camera that has the most pathetic zoom quality in the range most people will most likely use and be inspired by it, and doesn't have good quality primes in ranges that attract even those that would love to see best possible image quality squeezed out of a small sensor?

If Q is a niche product, then Pentax is really working hard in making it so. I see no reason why would anyone now choose Q over the new tiny m4/3 cameras. I presume that if there was no 06 lens, even most ardent Q users wouldn't even consider the Q, and if the GM1 existed 2 years ago, Q wouldn't have even half the users.

Last edited by Uluru; 11-01-2013 at 02:49 PM.
11-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

but they give us ultraslow zoom scrapyard lens.
You know next to nothing about this lens, but I learned something about you

11-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Judicious use of the ignore function makes for a more pleasant forum experience
11-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
If you ever read user's responses about the 06 lens quality, and how many have returned it, that 02 gets loose in several months, you'd understand that what I presume now is not based on immaterial presumptions.
11-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #26

If you ever read user's responses about the 06 lens quality, and how many have returned it, that 02 gets loose in several months, you'd understand that what I presume now is not based on immaterial presumptions.
Mine is as good as the day I bought it. Sounds like your opinions are based on hearsay, rather than experience.

Remember, the majority of happy users go about their business without comment. The majority of users who seek out forums are users who are looking for information & and much of that will be resolving difficulties... You'll find the same on most product related websites.
11-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
Mine is as good as the day I bought it. Sounds like your opinions are based on hearsay, rather than experience.
Yeah, I actually have good luck with the 02 zoom. If you get a good copy, they're reportedly as sharp as the 01 below about 12mm at apertures of f4 or smaller. Tests by some members here and independent tests have shown this to be the case. I've used my 02 quite a lot for probably a year now & it's not loose, either.

None of these photos, taken with an 02 look like they came from a "dud", either.
11-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I think I've read the majority of 06 user reviews (at least the English language ones) on the 'net, and the great majority, by quite a large margin, were favorable. Even the ones that were critical of the build quality praised the optics and seem to suggest that the size and weight especially for the EQ FL range), optics, constant f2.8 aperture and price point significantly overshadowed the negative aspects. I have not noticed mention of anything even close to an unusually high percentage of returns. My own copy, though frequently abused with heavy front mount TCs and achromatic diopters, still functions, mechanically and optically, as it did when new.

Your presumptions (which I have to assume by your choice of words, is not actual experience with the camera and the lenses mentioned), if based on what you've read on the 'net, are actually totally sourced largely from hearsay from unknown sources, so their validity is questionable at best.

Scott
11-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Originally posted by Uluru Quote If you ever read user's responses about the 06 lens quality, and how many have returned it, that 02 gets loose in several months, you'd understand that what I presume now is not based on immaterial presumptions.
My experience with 3 02 lenses (came with kits on deals) has been exceptionally positive. My 06 is a tight, excellent lens.

I have read on this Forum a user-fix to tighten the zoom ring on early copies using a small strip of plastic from a sandwich bag. Members who made that mod weren't upset about having to do it.

Haven't yet read of a complainer who returned a dud lens, though they might exist.
11-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Well, I've just ordered the Q7 with 02 and 06 lenses, to replace (or supplement) my Q. I'm hoping my experience of the 06 is as good as with the 02 that came with the original Q. That's still tight, but it hasn't seen any rough use.