Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Hi gennelman,

Welcome to the Q forum!!!

If your main purpose is to shoot food, I think that you may not need true macro capabilities, just close minimum focusing distance with a more standard lens. A 1:1 macro with the Q gives you a life sized image (about 6mm fills the frame horizontally). A standard dedicated macro would be more appropriate if you wanted to fill the frame with a single baby pea.

If, for example, you are shooting a relatively normal plate (@ 9") of food, then the 01 normal lens (8.5mm) will do this easily, as would most of the focal lengths within the 02 zoom (5-15mm). This would not need any adapter, give you the advantage of AF, the mechanical shutter, very fast flash sync, save you money, and make your Q kit for this much more compact.

Scott

01-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi gennelman,

Welcome to the Q forum!!!

If your main purpose is to shoot food, I think that you may not need true macro capabilities, just close minimum focusing distance with a more standard lens. A 1:1 macro with the Q gives you a life sized image (about 6mm fills the frame horizontally). A standard dedicated macro would be more appropriate if you wanted to fill the frame with a single baby pea.

If, for example, you are shooting a relatively normal plate (@ 9") of food, then the 01 normal lens (8.5mm) will do this easily, as would most of the focal lengths within the 02 zoom (5-15mm). This would not need any adapter, give you the advantage of AF, the mechanical shutter, very fast flash sync, save you money, and make your Q kit for this much more compact.

Scott
Hey Snostorm!

Thank you for the welcome. =)

Surprisingly, I think i understood what you are telling me. I actually have been using the prime lens for a while for that purpose, together with the macro/ food shot option of the Q.

I did consider getting the telephoto lens for the Q. But do you think it'll help? It costs around 6,000 Philippine Pesos here. Roughly $140. So i was thinking I might be better off getting an extension tube or an adapter. (Btw the K-q mount here goes for around $200.)

But I guess, I'm looking to upgrade things a little bit more with better macro capabilities. Eventually, of course, I'd like to go all the way to full blown macro lenses. But for now, I just want to slowly inch my way towards it. (Also giving me enough time to get a really good feel of it and save up for the big deal.)

What do you think? =/

Salamat!