Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q to K adapter,Pentax verses cheaper options

Hi All.

I've just ordered my Q7 which I will use as a long lens option for my trip to Australia. I'm waiting for it to show up in 4-6 weeks. Now I turn to adapters. I know the Pentax K to Q adapter has aperture settings for aperature-less K mount lenses. A couple of questions:

1) Is the Pentax version sufficiently superior to the version on E**Y listed at $49? $49 verses over $200 seems quite a difference if the adapters are basically identical.

2) For my lenses WITH an aperature ring is it best to use the adapters ring or the lenses, or does it make no difference? If you use the adapters aperature ring do you just open wide the lens aperature? That would seem logical.

Thanks.

11-01-2013, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The official Pentax adapter has a leaf shutter in it so you can sync flash at 1/2000 instead of 1/13.
11-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Hi All.

I've just ordered my Q7 which I will use as a long lens option for my trip to Australia. I'm waiting for it to show up in 4-6 weeks. Now I turn to adapters. I know the Pentax K to Q adapter has aperture settings for aperature-less K mount lenses. A couple of questions:

1) Is the Pentax version sufficiently superior to the version on E**Y listed at $49? $49 verses over $200 seems quite a difference if the adapters are basically identical.

2) For my lenses WITH an aperature ring is it best to use the adapters ring or the lenses, or does it make no difference? If you use the adapters aperature ring do you just open wide the lens aperature? That would seem logical.

Thanks.
You might be interested in reading this:
Pentax K to Q-mount Adapter - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Overall, the Pentax adapter gives you smoother aperture control, a better build quality, and of course support for a tripod mount

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most important, no irritating skewing due to the electronic shutter! It feels like a whole new setup with it compared to ebay ones.

11-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to go with the non OEM to get your feet wet, buy the Fotodiox with aperture at $30 here.
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K Lens to Pentax Q Series Camera

I did a short review here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/233319-new-fotodiox-k-q-adapter.html

The Pentax adapter is worth every penny, though, so if adapted becomes a passion you will want to spend the cash on the real deal.

Someone posted that a retailer was selling them under $200 recently, do a search in the Q forum.
11-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I told my local corporate Pentax rep that the tri-pod foot should be included with the adapter (he agreed). I also suggested they should bundle it in a kit with a body - it is a super accessory.

Last edited by mattt; 11-01-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: stupid tablet typo
11-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If you want to go with the non OEM to get your feet wet, buy the Fotodiox with aperture at $30 here.
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K Lens to Pentax Q Series Camera

I did a short review here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/233319-new-fotodiox-k-q-adapter.html

The Pentax adapter is worth every penny, though, so if adapted becomes a passion you will want to spend the cash on the real deal.

Someone posted that a retailer was selling them under $200 recently, do a search in the Q forum.
I agree with Larry in every aspect. The first reaction of most people is that the Pentax OEM adapter is outrageously priced, but considering the sophistication included in the design, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the price when it was finally released. Including a leaf shutter and a reduction system to allow accurately repeatable aperture settings are not easy or cheap additional features.

The new Fotodiox adapter is considerably nicer than their first version, but in no way is it even close to the OEM functionally. I would also suggest that you try the Fotodiox first. If you run into situations where you find you need either the shutter or the added precision afforded by the OEM, you have an alternative, and will better be able to appreciate the value of the added features.

Personally, I've kept both adapters. With the Q, the Fotodiox allows me to have a totally silent camera with adapted lenses, so with something like a 50 f1.4, I have a stealth camera that I can shoot headshots from across a room. With the OEM, the shutter is reasonably quiet compared to a lot of DSLRs, but loud compared to the Q system shutter lenses, and the mechanical shutter is used by default for all shutter speeds slower than 1/1000. My understanding is that the Q7 allows use of the electronic shutter even with leaf shutter lenses, so the two adapters would not be necessary.

Scott

11-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the excellent replies. After reading the article was convinced I was going to get Pentax version until I read that there is no tripod mount with the genuine Pentax version. I will need a colar and tripod mount. I will see if I can purchase it independantly, but if I can't the 3rd party one I saw does have a built in trip mount. Pity, the Pentax version that was offered with the tripod mount sounds pretty sweet.

Again, many thanks.
11-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Thank you for the excellent replies. After reading the article was convinced I was going to get Pentax version until I read that there is no tripod mount with the genuine Pentax version. I will need a colar and tripod mount. I will see if I can purchase it independantly, but if I can't the 3rd party one I saw does have a built in trip mount. Pity, the Pentax version that was offered with the tripod mount sounds pretty sweet.
Hi stemked,

About tripod collar/mounts. . .

I have a JR K to Q adapter that had a tripod mount, and it was inadequate for use with any lens over about 1 lb. The very fine screws pulled out when I used a heavier lens. Barondla used a heavy duty adhesive to reinforce his with good results though.

If you need a rotating tripod collar, neither 3rd party nor the Pentax OEM adapter have this, but the larger diameter of the Pentax OEM adapter lends itself to easy adaptation to easily available 3rd party tripod collars that can be mounted to any angle around the adapter.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/208945-chinese-tripod-rings-...ml#post2209331

The 3rd party adapters have considerably smaller ODs, so are not nearly as easy to find a existing tripod collar that can easily be modded to use with them. Of course, if the lens you want to adapt has its own tripod collar/mount, this is all irrelevant. . .

The tripod mount for the OEM adapter is very robust, and should support any lens that you can imagine. It uses the same foot as the DA* 300/4. Also, Fanotec, a definite friend of this forum, also has produced a 3rd party foot that fits the OEM K2Q adapter at lower cost than the Pentax foot. I have no idea of he still has stock, but it would be worth it to contact him if you find his design might work for you. I have one of these instead of the Pentax foot, and can definitely recommend it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/231003-sal...ml#post2446161

Scott
11-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stemked, I would buy the original Pentax OEM adapter (and tripod foot) and skip the rest. The Pentax OEM adapter will allow shooting moving animals at high shutter speeds w/o the distorted jello effect. Look up crewl1's demo of this with a common house fan. It also allows handheld macro flash at any shutter speed.

How many trips to OZ do you make? I would want the Q at its best. The OEM adapter achieves this with much less distortion on moving subjects (or handheld). With the Pentax or Fanotec tripod adapters it is rock solid.

Don't forget a red dot scope to help aim this telemonster kit.
thanks
barondla

The Q is FUN. Deal with it.
11-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info all. I WILL go for the Pentax version if, and only if, I can find one with the mount for the tripod. Anyone know a place to get it?

Also thanks for the suggestion for the lazor pointer, Barondia
11-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go with the longest Fanotec foot listed above, it's simply way better for everything than the OEM one.
11-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all.
11-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The newer Fotodiox will give you fine results of stationary objects without jello effect for hand holding up to about 85mm if you are fairly steady at hand holding - and that's on the Q.

The Q electronic shutter scans at 1/13th which is a bit disappointing. The Q7/10 scans at 1/30th - and that will yield a somewhat steadier response.

I'm not arguing that the Pentax isn't a huge step up - or a bad deal - but for those of us who are experimenting and are fine with the limits of the cheaper adapter - its a decent option. If you have some black matte model paint - a quick coat of the somewhat too shiny inside of the barrel addresses the main criticism of the Fotodiox.
01-12-2014, 03:02 AM   #15

Clueless Q user

Hi guys,

Sorry if I'll sound stupid but I really did try my best to understand what you guys are saying. (I got lost in the mm sizes and such.)

I'm a Q user and looking to get a macro lens or macro capability with my camera for food photography.

I get that the Pentax K-Q adapter works well but a bit expensive. Also considered the Fotodiox lens adapter mentioned but my concern right now is the size of the lens that I can attach to the Q with an adapter.

The main reason why I bought the Q over the Olympus Pen was for its size. And I'm afraid that if I use an adapter and use a regular macro lens with it, I will have to compromise portability.

I'm not a serious photographer. I'm just trying to get my feet wet with it so to speak. Main reason for me is to develop the skills to help with a food blog. So using a really good macro lens isn't really a priority. Plus it's way over my budget.

Can you guys recommend an alternative to getting an adapter for macro capability on the Q? I heard about extension tubes. Are they any good? I tried to research on the Kenko Extension Tubes but I can't seem to find any info if it's compatible with the Pentax. It only says that it's good for the Olympus and Panasonic 4/3s.

Salamat!