Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Pentax Q to complement a NEX-6?

Hi everyone.
Iíve got into photography this summer and I bought a Sony NEX-6 as my first serious camera. Iím still learning a lot every day and thereís still a lot more left to learn, but I really enjoy photography as a hobby. My next two investments will be a telephoto lens (SEL-55210) and Sonys lovely UWA-zoom (SEL-1018), maybe Iíll buy a native 30-35mmíish lens after the former to.
The NEX will be my main camera for the next 2-3 years (especially because a FF NEX is to expensive atm and Sony need to build an ecosystem first).

Although I adore this camera, the lens with 2-4 lenses can get a little bit heavy and requires an extra bag. So Iím looking for a second camera to compliment the NEX after Iíve got the already mentioned lenses. The obvious choice is the Sony RX 100 MII, because I already know the system and I really like Sony cameras to be honest. After this I thought about a Nikon V1. Itís quite compact as well, but the lenses are expensive and I donít want to invest a lot in a second

Now I discovered the Pentax Q(7). The RX100 is the better standalone camera in my opinion, but the Pentax Q could be better to complement my NEX. Like I already said, Iím not going to buy the camera in the next few months but I like to plan such a purchase as early as possible ^^.

So I have a few questions:
Nativ lenses
Which lenses are you using the most? The 01 prime seems like a no-brainer, it looks like a nice walkaround lens and the 40ish mm is perfect for this use case. I'm also thinking about the fisheye lens, I like the effect but I'm not going to buy 300ishÄ for a NEX fisheye .
Legacy lenses
I love using legacy lenses on my NEX and I would be quite happy to use a few on the Pentax.I was looking through this thread and it looks that there are in general two typ of lenses. Pentax K lenses or (D)SLR lenses look good in general. But I was looking for C-Mount lenses (I guess D mount lenses will vignette a lot on the 1/1.7" sensor .. ). And most of those already vignette on the original Q and produce a lot of CA.
Is there a collection of C- and D-mount lenses which work good on the Pentax Q. I'm especially looking for higher focal lengths in a compact lens. The 4.6x crop factor should make decent telephoto lenses out of these lenses. This is another niche which the Pentax Q should be filling for me, long telephoto (>300mm equivalent) on a NEX requires huge lenses.
JPEG engine
I shoot RAW+JPEG with the NEX, because it`s the camera for my "serious" work. I'm planning to shoot 90% JPEG on the second camera. How good are the OOC jpegs, does I need to PP pictures for decent quality? How good does the Pentax Q works with legacy lenses in this aspect?
Focus peaking
I love this feature on my NEX. I know that Sony has the best implementation of this feature in the business, but how good does it work on the Pentax Q? Do you use it or do you just use MF assist (2x or 4x magnification)?
Image quality
The Q7 seems to have a good IQ for what it is. But does anyone of you own a RX100 and/or Nikon V1 beside their Pentax Q and could say a few words about the difference in IQ (or in general).

Thatís everything for now. I know that this topic is probably a new one, but I thinks itís better to create my own thread.
Thanks in advance!
Julian.

Itís almost midnight in Austria, excuse my English skills right now^^.

11-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to keep GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) in check, buy the RX100. It is also pocketable for ultimate portability.
11-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

I use a Nex 3N as a complement for my Q.
When I need to be quit and I want no one to notice me while I am shooting the Q helps me a lot due to its size.
And with the 48 mm F1.9 I can shot in low light situations.

I only have the Kit Lens for my Nex which suits me well as it is sharp, but a bit on the slow side, but again, it allows me to zoom.

regards

Oliver
11-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
If you want to keep GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) in check, buy the RX100. It is also pocketable for ultimate portability.
I already lost that hope . I know that the RX100 would a little more pocketable, but I would like to have a longer focal length available (via extra lens or build in). Iím not a fan of the other Sony compact cameras, I would like to the ability to shoot RAW from time to time.

QuoteOriginally posted by tek_san Quote
I use a Nex 3N as a complement for my Q.
When I need to be quit and I want no one to notice me while I am shooting the Q helps me a lot due to its size.
And with the 48 mm F1.9 I can shot in low light situations.

I only have the Kit Lens for my Nex which suits me well as it is sharp, but a bit on the slow side, but again, it allows me to zoom.
The shutter sound is a nice benefit of the smaller camera, I havenít thought about that at all. I would probably pick up the Q7 when the price has already dropped with the 01 prime (40mm), the fisheye lens and maybe a zoom if I should get a used one for a good price.
Does anyone has a suggestion for a small lens with high focal length. I thought about something like the ďCosmicar 150mm. f3.2Ē or ďKern Paillard 150mm f/4Ē.

11-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cyberratchet Quote
Thank you both.

I already lost that hope . I know that the RX100 would a little more pocketable, but I would like to have a longer focal length available (via extra lens or build in). Iím not a fan of the other Sony compact cameras, I would like to the ability to shoot RAW from time to time.

The shutter sound is a nice benefit of the smaller camera, I havenít thought about that at all. I would probably pick up the Q7 when the price has already dropped with the 01 prime (40mm), the fisheye lens and maybe a zoom if I should get a used one for a good price.
Does anyone has a suggestion for a small lens with high focal length. I thought about something like the ďCosmicar 150mm. f3.2Ē or ďKern Paillard 150mm f/4Ē.
The RX100 does shoot RAW. The Pentax 135/3.5 is a gem, and it's cheap. The Q7 does have a lot going for it. I'm looking forward to the future firesale myself.
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

An RX100 is a much better companion to a NEX than buying a Q. The role for an RX100 is much clearer then, for when you want a camera that can fit in your pocket and not have to carry any lenses. But when would you reach for a Q rather than an NEX?
11-07-2013, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Cyberratchet Quote
Hi everyone.
Iíve got into photography this summer and I bought a Sony NEX-6 as my first serious camera. Iím still learning a lot every day and thereís still a lot more left to learn, but I really enjoy photography as a hobby. My next two investments will be a telephoto lens (SEL-55210) and Sonys lovely UWA-zoom (SEL-1018), maybe Iíll buy a native 30-35mmíish lens after the former to.
The NEX will be my main camera for the next 2-3 years (especially because a FF NEX is to expensive atm and Sony need to build an ecosystem first).

Although I adore this camera, the lens with 2-4 lenses can get a little bit heavy and requires an extra bag. So Iím looking for a second camera to compliment the NEX after Iíve got the already mentioned lenses. The obvious choice is the Sony RX 100 MII, because I already know the system and I really like Sony cameras to be honest. After this I thought about a Nikon V1. Itís quite compact as well, but the lenses are expensive and I donít want to invest a lot in a second

Now I discovered the Pentax Q(7). The RX100 is the better standalone camera in my opinion, but the Pentax Q could be better to complement my NEX. Like I already said, Iím not going to buy the camera in the next few months but I like to plan such a purchase as early as possible ^^.

So I have a few questions:
Nativ lenses
Which lenses are you using the most? The 01 prime seems like a no-brainer, it looks like a nice walkaround lens and the 40ish mm is perfect for this use case. I'm also thinking about the fisheye lens, I like the effect but I'm not going to buy 300ishÄ for a NEX fisheye .
Legacy lenses
I love using legacy lenses on my NEX and I would be quite happy to use a few on the Pentax.I was looking through this thread and it looks that there are in general two typ of lenses. Pentax K lenses or (D)SLR lenses look good in general. But I was looking for C-Mount lenses (I guess D mount lenses will vignette a lot on the 1/1.7" sensor .. ). And most of those already vignette on the original Q and produce a lot of CA.
Is there a collection of C- and D-mount lenses which work good on the Pentax Q. I'm especially looking for higher focal lengths in a compact lens. The 4.6x crop factor should make decent telephoto lenses out of these lenses. This is another niche which the Pentax Q should be filling for me, long telephoto (>300mm equivalent) on a NEX requires huge lenses.
JPEG engine
I shoot RAW+JPEG with the NEX, because it`s the camera for my "serious" work. I'm planning to shoot 90% JPEG on the second camera. How good are the OOC jpegs, does I need to PP pictures for decent quality? How good does the Pentax Q works with legacy lenses in this aspect?
Focus peaking
I love this feature on my NEX. I know that Sony has the best implementation of this feature in the business, but how good does it work on the Pentax Q? Do you use it or do you just use MF assist (2x or 4x magnification)?
Image quality
The Q7 seems to have a good IQ for what it is. But does anyone of you own a RX100 and/or Nikon V1 beside their Pentax Q and could say a few words about the difference in IQ (or in general).

Thatís everything for now. I know that this topic is probably a new one, but I thinks itís better to create my own thread.
Thanks in advance!
Julian.

Itís almost midnight in Austria, excuse my English skills right now^^.
I have both Sony RX100 and Q7 to back my Samsung NX system. While Sony is very portable, I still prefer Q7 for fun factor, easiness of use and interchangeable lenses. And Q7 clearly beats Sony in IQ for anything above 70mm focal length. I like 01, 06 and 03 lenses. 02 lens is also pretty good. Those are 4 lenses which I have.
11-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum yugi. This is a great place for Qusers to hang out. Please post some pics when you get the chance.
thanks
barondla

11-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.
Iíll probably pick up the RX 100 M2, if the Q7 price shouldnít fall. Adapting C- and D-Mount lenses doesnít look as promising as expected. And thb. I would like to have an in-camera panorama function. I know that I can do this in post, but Sonys panoramas are not to bad. And the Q will most likely be the more expensive kit, I should probably get more legacy lenses for my NEX and focus on a single system .

QuoteOriginally posted by yugi Quote
I have both Sony RX100 and Q7 to back my Samsung NX system. While Sony is very portable, I still prefer Q7 for fun factor, easiness of use and interchangeable lenses. And Q7 clearly beats Sony in IQ for anything above 70mm focal length. I like 01, 06 and 03 lenses. 02 lens is also pretty good. Those are 4 lenses which I have.
Do you have one or two example shots to show the mentioned IQ difference after 70mm? The RX 100 lens does get quite slow in tele range, but does that effect the IQ that much?