Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Long-exposure shooting question

Hello

I recently bought a Polaroid Optics variable ND filter so that I could learn about and practice long-exposure shots. Firstly, I think it is fair to say that the filter is awesome - if you're interested Google it, I got mine off Amazon and happy to share more detail if requested - remember, I'm not an expert though. I set the Q up on a tripod and set it up to use a remote control (3s delay). I switched to manual setting and set the shutter speed to 30" on an aperture setting of 1.9 and used a 12sec self-timer. For some reason, it seems to run a double-exposure. I see the LCD go black when the shutter opens, there is a click after 30 secs (sounding like the shutter is closing) but the LCD stays black for a further 30secs - then the image appears in the LCD. I have the settings on 4:3 ratio JPEG, 12m, three star quality and sRGB color space and definitely not using multi-exposure nor interval shooting and internal ND filter is set to "off". I considered that the after the click it may be writing the file to the card but I don't understand why it should take so long, normally does this within just a few seconds. Any ideas? Anyone had a similar issue?

11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's taking a dark frame. The shutter is closed, and a second exposure is made. This contains only sensor noise, which is then removed from the image. I was pretty sure you could turn it off, but I can't find the setting for it at the moment.
11-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Did you turn off noise reduction?
11-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Many thanks for the response, certainly sounds probable.I'll take a look.

Yep, so far I've always worked with a low ISO but experimented the other day with increasing the ISO for street work. Forgot to revert before doing the long-exposure shots. The High-ISO NR option is in the camera settings menu (page two) and set to Auto - that's why it only got invoked during particularly long exposure settings.

Last edited by photonfondue; 11-06-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: update