Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

Help: Pentax Adapter Q for K mount lenses

Help

I was using the Q with the Q K mount adapter and both the DA 70mm and a SMC M 100mm when I noticed that the leaf shutter in the adapter was always firing. I attempted to disable the shutter and it still fired.

I tested the Q body with the 06 lens and I was able to disable the leaf shutter.

The Q has firmware 1.13

adapter has firmware 1.00

I thought the leaf shutter could be disabled like with the lenses.

11-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Wondering why you want to disable it?

I don't know if it can be, but a simple option is just to use the cheapo fotodiox adapter instead that has no shutter...to me the shutter is the primary reason to spend all that money on the OEM adapter.
11-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
yes, but I have observed that with the adapters shutter, there seems to be an unexpected delay in shutter activation compared to the 06 lens. There is also some vibration.

I just wanted to see if there was a difference shutter on vs electronic shutter
11-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't think there is actually any delay, just the sound of the shutter (most of which occurs after it has taken the picture) fools you. In any case, I don't see any difference in responsiveness between using the official adapter or the cheap no-shutter one with a K lens (I have both) -- they both fire instantly. I'm using original Q body.

11-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've found that the custom function "Use electronic shutter" is hit-or-miss on my Original Q sometimes, even with the 02 and 01 lenses (sold my 06). The lens shutter will release even when C.13 is set to "2" at slower shutter speeds, unless I explicitly use Tv mode. However, the mode makes no difference with the OEM adapter. Not what I'd expect, but it rarely bothers me.

Next, the delay between the shutter button press and actual release seems to be the same (not instant) with the 02 and the OEM adapter, but as vonB says, the adapter is much louder. Best to get/use a $25 adapter without a shutter to guarantee no lag.
11-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I've found that the custom function "Use electronic shutter" is hit-or-miss on my Original Q sometimes, even with the 02 and 01 lenses (sold my 06). The lens shutter will release even when C.13 is set to "2" at slower shutter speeds, unless I explicitly use Tv mode. However, the mode makes no difference with the OEM adapter. Not what I'd expect, but it rarely bothers me.

Next, the delay between the shutter button press and actual release seems to be the same (not instant) with the 02 and the OEM adapter, but as vonB says, the adapter is much louder. Best to get/use a $25 adapter without a shutter to guarantee no lag.
seems that the only thing assured when using a generic adapter is that the Q is forced to use the electronic shutter.

I agree that the main reason to use the Pentax adapter is the leaf shutter, however the build quality of the adapter is as high or higher than Novoflex. Specifically the aperture ring control with a Lock position for lenses with aperture rings, the marked positions for DA lens aperture, and the foot for a tripod mount is very well made and show considerable thought went into its design.

So I wonder if the fact I can not enable the electronic shutter is a feature of my Q or Adapter, or is it a malfunction.
11-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
Help

I was using the Q with the Q K mount adapter and both the DA 70mm and a SMC M 100mm when I noticed that the leaf shutter in the adapter was always firing. I attempted to disable the shutter and it still fired.

I tested the Q body with the 06 lens and I was able to disable the leaf shutter.

The Q has firmware 1.13

adapter has firmware 1.00

I thought the leaf shutter could be disabled like with the lenses.
Follow up additional question.

One thing I have noted with various adapters and different digital camera bodies is that most adapters have a slightly shorter flange distance than spec. This allows most lenses to focus to infinity. If the adapter was out of spec longer than flange distance, it would act as an extension tube for shorter focus at the expense of infinity focus.

This is not necessarily a bad thing since it allow a lens to have some variance for focus at infinity to compensate for environmental conditions including temperature of the lens itself or for manufacturing variances. This is especially true for mirror lenses.

I have a SMC M 100mm f2.8 lens that I just received. I note that on the Pentax Adapter Q for K mount lenses, this lens achieves infinity focus before the infinity stop. "It will focus past infinity."

When I mounted the SMC M 100mm with a Novoflex Pentax K to Sony E adapter to a NEX-6 and focused the lens I noted infinity focus was achieved prior to the infinity stop. My experience is that Novoflex adapters are usually exactly on spec and infinity focus is only achieved at the infinity stop for the lens.

Question: When mounted on a K dSLR or K-01, it is common for the SMC M 100mm to focus past infinity?

Question: Is this an issue of the Pentax adapter or is this an issue of the lens?

Question: Can the SMC M 100mm be serviced to adjust the infinity focus spot?

(I will also post this in the appropriate lens forum...)
11-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Most lenses can be adjusted to calibrate infinity focus. For most of the Pentax-M and earlier screwmount Takumars, this is a very simple procedure involving unscrewing the faceplate off the front of the lens (the part with the name and serial #), loosening a few screws, adjusting the position, and tightening them again. With the proper tools, it can be done in a few minutes.You will sometimes find lenses that have deliberately had their infinity focus position adjusted, possibly to use on a non-native camera with an adapter...

11-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're relying on the green hexagon for focus confirmation on a DSLR with MF,
it may be helpful to have the lens focus past infinity.

Of course, this is not a consideration
if you'll only be using the lens on focus-peaking MILCs.
11-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The electronic shutter does infact has a serious delay intill the pic is fully taken. It takes quite the time to actually read the whole sensor and that is responsible for skewing and loss of sharpness.