Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
New Guy with a "Q"...

Hi All! I just received a Pentax Q with the 02 Zoom and the 03 Fish Eye lenses, 3 batteries (1 Pentax, 2 Wasabi), 2 chargers (1 Pentax, 1 Wasabi), an Optio case which camera, batteries and lenses all fit in, and all cables and a Pentax strap.

This is my Q. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Here it is next to my trusty A300. The Sony isn't a big camera by any means but the Q makes it look huge...

So far, I'm blown away with what this little camera is capable of! I am a long time Minolta guy and have recently paired down my film "shooters" to a Maxxum 9xi and a Maxxum 9000 and my DSLRs are a Sony A200 and A300, so all my Minolta/Sony lenses are A mounts. I haven't seen any example shots using Minolta A mount lenses so I opted to purchase a Fotodiox Minolta A mount adaptor for the Q. Not being sure of how the A mounts are going to preform on the Q, I decided to stay away from the more expensive adaptors like the Novoflex.

I am waiting for the adaptor to be delivered so I'm hoping that I will be able to share some "Q" shots with you soon!

Mike

(P.S. - If this is typical of what Pentax cameras are like, I just might have to get Pentax DSLR!)

11-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The nice thing about the Q is that its menu system is practically identical to the K-5 - so if you mean that p.s. you can make the transition with little effort! I came across from the A200 myself, some days I really miss the old metal-jacket 35-105 and 100-200mm
11-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the fun of the Q, check the adapted lens chart in the stickies above, and search the adapter threads so you know what to expect and enjoy your Q
11-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The nice thing about the Q is that its menu system is practically identical to the K-5 - so if you mean that p.s. you can make the transition with little effort! I came across from the A200 myself, some days I really miss the old metal-jacket 35-105 and 100-200mm
Thanks for the tip on the K-5! The more that I use the menu on the Q, the easier it gets to move around it. I don't have the 35-105 but I do have the 100-200mm. I'm looking forward to putting that on the Q!

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Welcome to the fun of the Q, check the adapted lens chart in the stickies above, and search the adapter threads so you know what to expect and enjoy your Q
Thank you sir! I checked the adapted chart and didn't see any Minolta A mounts listed. I'll comb through the rest of the thread and see if I can see something!

Mike

11-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AnalogMan Quote
Excellent! yes I don't think we have indexed any A mounts, feel free to add some to the list. Enjoy your Q.
11-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Excellent! yes I don't think we have indexed any A mounts, feel free to add some to the list. Enjoy your Q.
Thanks Larry! Hopefully I can get some useful information to the adapted list for the A mount!

Mike
11-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AnalogMan Quote
Hi All! I just received a Pentax Q with the 02 Zoom and the 03 Fish Eye lenses, 3 batteries (1 Pentax, 2 Wasabi), 2 chargers (1 Pentax, 1 Wasabi), an Optio case which camera, batteries and lenses all fit in, and all cables and a Pentax strap.

Here it is next to my trusty A300. The Sony isn't a big camera by any means but the Q makes it look huge...

So far, I'm blown away with what this little camera is capable of! I am a long time Minolta guy and have recently paired down my film "shooters" to a Maxxum 9xi and a Maxxum 9000 and my DSLRs are a Sony A200 and A300, so all my Minolta/Sony lenses are A mounts. I haven't seen any example shots using Minolta A mount lenses so I opted to purchase a Fotodiox Minolta A mount adaptor for the Q. Not being sure of how the A mounts are going to preform on the Q, I decided to stay away from the more expensive adaptors like the Novoflex.

I am waiting for the adaptor to be delivered so I'm hoping that I will be able to share some "Q" shots with you soon!

Mike

(P.S. - If this is typical of what Pentax cameras are like, I just might have to get Pentax DSLR!)
Welcome on board Mike! You're gonna have a ball with your combo especially the 03 Fish Eye which I've also acquired recently - it is so much fun!
Q w/03 is more fun than a Nintendo. Oops, my age is showing!

Rick

11-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hinomaru Quote
...Q w/03 is more fun than a Nintendo. Oops, my age is showing!

Rick
Thanks for the welcome Rick! (My age is showing too!)

Mike
11-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on the Q kit and welcome to the forums. The Q is so much fun. So many things to experiment with. The Q will cause an explosion in creativity.

Since the Q came with multiple batteries you are set. Do check that Q has all its shots....er firmware updates. We want healthy Q.

Don't be surprised if the Q leads to other Pentax cameras. It is ok to have fun taking pictures. Pentax understands this.

Post some Q pics when you get the chance.
thanks
barondla
11-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome barondla! Yes, I made sure that my Q is up to date with it's "shots" I downloaded the latest firmware right after I got it. I promise to share my pics with you if you all promise not to laugh...!

I do look forward to using this little jewel and if it leads to other Pentaxes, so be it!

Mike
11-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome AnalogMan!! You're already having fun!

From experience - Best Advice>> do NOT allow anyone with whom you live in close proximity to "borrow" your Q or you'll need to find another. Really.
11-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip monochrome! You needn't worry. The first time I let someone look at it, I immediately felt separation anxiety and found myself grabbing it back!

Mike
11-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! It's a surprisingly good little camera. I accidentally turned on the color selection back in the summer and got some really cool images totally by accident...

I did buy one of these little hoods. It fits both the 02 and the 01 lenses, and works well on the 01. I haven't tried it much on the 02, I don't know how it might affect the wide end.

Amazon.com: EzFoto 40.5mm Silver Tilted Metal Lens Hood Shade for Leica, Contax Zeiss, Voigtlander, Pentax Q prime, NIKKOR 1 Prime Lens: Electronics
11-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome TER-OR! I can see how you could accidentally do a lot of things with the Q. I am constantly amazed at all the different settings that are available with this little gem!

Mike
11-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #15

Original Poster
I just posted some of my first "Q" shots...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q-218.html#post2586230

Mike