Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

06 Zoom - Dust or bubbles?

So, I was cleaning a thumbprint (oops) off the objective of my 06 zoom yesterday when I happened to angle it just the right way to catch the light. To quote Dave Bowman, "...it's full of stars!" Well, not stars, exactly; but there is a constellation of dust or bubbles or both inside (see pic).

It doesn't seem to affect photos. I stopped it down, shot a blank background, and saw nothing. But it's just....*unsettling* that a new lens has this inside. It's been outside twice, and neither time was in a sandstorm; so I'm certain it has not become contaminated since I've owned it.

Does anyone else see anything similar in their 06 lenses?

This is my second Q7 kit (I returned the first because the 02 was smeary, and the 06 zoom ring was so sticky that rotating the ring was a series of <stick> zoom <stick> zoom motions (hello, stiction!). I don't want to return it, and I'm trying to convince myself not to care. But it just doesn't seem right for a new lens to look like this.

Thoughts, anyone?

Attached Images

11-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is that stuff on the outside or in between the lenses? There should certainly be nothing of the sort inside.

If it is on the inside I think you should return it as it means that either something went horribly wrong on the assembly line or it is not new at all.
11-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Is that stuff on the outside or in between the lenses? There should certainly be nothing of the sort inside.

If it is on the inside I think you should return it as it means that either something went horribly wrong on the assembly line or it is not new at all.
I might have left a speck or two on the outside; but 99.9% of what you see is inside!

11-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is perfectly normal in my opinion.. every single new lens I saw or had ( my DA AL or XS 40mm ) would have similar microscopic spots if backlighted with flashlight - these spots can be of micron size ( invisible for an unarmed eye ) - but light will make them shine..

Those who think differently - please take your shiny new lenses and treat with flash light - that's going to be an eye opener for some --manntax

EDIT:: of course these surface cleaning marks are an entirely different story and have been done by incautious cleaning.. should not affect the photos tho.

11-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have older lenses that are cleaner than that inside... and I have never seen so much dust in a new one.
While those dust pecs might not affect the quality, if you could return it and grab a new one, I would recommend to do so.
11-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a bright flashlight angled the right way I do see sparkly bits inside the lens in the glass.
Mine works great and I don't have a problem with it.
It looks clear when viewed from the front.
Attached Images

11-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This looks normal to me and should have any effect on your picture quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I have older lenses that are cleaner than that inside... and I have never seen so much dust in a new one.
You are speaking from just looking at the lens or actually using some flashlight to highlight it's optics at all angles ??

EDIT: .. people often doesn't realise how the optics looks like when backlighted.. there are plenty of microscopic, invisible particles which is unavoidable even in case of new lenses, that are not visible with an unarmed eye at all and only visible when lighted up with some bright light - that makes them visible to the eye only because the light reflected is contrasty and eye can pick it.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
With a bright flashlight angled the right way I do see sparkly bits inside the lens in the glass.
Mine works great and I don't have a problem with it.
It looks clear when viewed from the front.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This looks normal to me and should have any effect on your picture quality.
Adam.. you mean shouldn't right ?

Agree with both of you guys
11-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
You are speaking from just looking at the lens or actually using some flashlight to highlight it's optics at all angles ??

EDIT: .. people often doesn't realise how the optics looks like when backlighted.. there are plenty of microscopic, invisible particles which is unavoidable even in case of new lenses, that are not visible with an unarmed eye at all and only visible when lighted up with some bright light - that makes them visible to the eye only because the light reflected is contrasty and eye can pick it.
With light... obviously...
11-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

With light... obviously...
Well I feel quite confident that if I had a chance I would show you the same or greater amount of similarly looking particles in every lenses that you own.. the difficulty is to get both the flashlight and an eye angle right - even OP mentioned that it was visible only at certain angle. I just double checked my couple months old XS 40mm and it has shown same amount of micro spots when backlighted --manntax
11-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well I feel quite confident that if I had a chance I would show you the same or greater amount of similarly looking particles in every lenses that you own.. the difficulty is to get both the flashlight and an eye angle right - even OP mentioned that it was visible only at certain angle. I just double checked my couple months old XS 40mm and it has shown same amount of micro spots when backlighted --manntax
And I feel very confident to prove they are cleaner... now mind you, do note that I never said I don't have some dust specs... especially on older lenses.
What I am saying is that I do NOT have as much... not even half of it.
11-22-2013, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

And I feel very confident to prove they are cleaner... now mind you, do note that I never said I don't have some dust specs... especially on older lenses.
What I am saying is that I do NOT have as much... not even half of it.
Well.. you might be, still it is down to the way you look at your lenses and how you actually photograph them. See below a photo of my mint copy XS 40mm pancake , that I have for couple of months and had only 2-3 outings with it. It stays in case, with both caps attached since day one. To the eye it looks like the day I received it - and even when I want I can picture it like that - see samples :

Now the same lens - with angled light in a way AND a camera directed at at proper angle to actually see all the microscpic particles being highlighted with the beam of light.
Doesn't look that good does it ? hahah

mind you the lens IS in mint condition - and the same applies to ANY lens I ever had - if I want to I will find these micron sized particles and make them glow.. even in your lenses. You can of course still believe that your's are glorious exceptions but that is hardly any proof --manntax
11-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well.. you might be, still it is down to the way you look at your lenses and how you actually photograph them. See below a photo of my mint copy XS 40mm pancake , that I have for couple of months and had only 2-3 outings with it. It stays in case, with both caps attached since day one. To the eye it looks like the day I received it - and even when I want I can picture it like that - see samples :

Now the same lens - with angled light in a way AND a camera directed at at proper angle to actually see all the microscpic particles being highlighted with the beam of light.
Doesn't look that good does it ? hahah

mind you the lens IS in mint condition - and the same applies to ANY lens I ever had - if I want to I will find these micron sized particles and make them glow.. even in your lenses. You can of course still believe that your's are glorious exceptions but that is hardly any proof --manntax
... oh wow... you are amazing... my life is over now...
11-22-2013, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ephophex Quote
So, I was cleaning a thumbprint (oops) off the objective of my 06 zoom yesterday when I happened to angle it just the right way to catch the light. To quote Dave Bowman, "...it's full of stars!" Well, not stars, exactly; but there is a constellation of dust or bubbles or both inside (see pic).
From what I understand, when one zooms a lens, air is pumped in and out of it. This will eventually bring in fine dust. I suspect even focusing would do the same to a lesser extent.
11-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
From what I understand, when one zooms a lens, air is pumped in and out of it. This will eventually bring in fine dust. I suspect even focusing would do the same to a lesser extent.
I never though of zooming moving air, but it's entirely common sense.
My shiny new q7 lens looks horrible with a torch, but I'm still a happy bunny :-)

Jeff