Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q7 First Impressions

I just received the Q7 this past weekend. As a 2 year user of the original Q, I thought I would provide my initial impressions. First, although the Q7 has been out for many months, I had to special order the Q7 as it is generally not available on the shelf in Canadian stores yet. retailers are still trying to sell off old Q10 stock so have been reluctant to bring in another camera. Not a good sign for Canadian sales.

The first thing I noticed were the controls are set up the same as the classic Q so that was great. Startup and operation seem much quicker which is a real bonus. AF in good light is lightning quick. The real good news is the IQ is definitely improved from the classic Q. This is the main reason for the upgrade. High ISO quality is much better and at base ISO, there appears to be more resolution and clarity to the images, so the larger sensor is a good choice. My only question with the larger sensor is why didn't Pentax include a larger sensor in the original Q? This may have muted the early criticisms.

While the build quality is not up the classic Q standards, it feels better than I expected. All in all this appears to be a great upgrade and makes the Q a much more capable little camera. A few initial pics as well.

Dale

Attached Images

12-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing, Dale! I agree that the Q7 seems to be a solid upgrade over the Q/Q10. Sucks that they used the Q10's plastic body for it though. Maybe the Q5 will come with a magnesium alloy body...
12-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We will see if the body hold up over time. I have taken the original Q to trips overseas including Africa and it has held up well.

Dale
12-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

Dropped mine on rough asphalt while walking my dog... got a little dent on the mode dial and tiny scratch on the strap eyelet. I think if it was plastic that eyelet would have come off.

12-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Was that the original Q or the Q7?

Dale
12-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #6

Original Q.
12-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
I just received the Q7 this past weekend. As a 2 year user of the original Q, I thought I would provide my initial impressions. First, although the Q7 has been out for many months, I had to special order the Q7 as it is generally not available on the shelf in Canadian stores yet. retailers are still trying to sell off old Q10 stock so have been reluctant to bring in another camera. Not a good sign for Canadian sales.

The first thing I noticed were the controls are set up the same as the classic Q so that was great. Startup and operation seem much quicker which is a real bonus. AF in good light is lightning quick. The real good news is the IQ is definitely improved from the classic Q. This is the main reason for the upgrade. High ISO quality is much better and at base ISO, there appears to be more resolution and clarity to the images, so the larger sensor is a good choice. My only question with the larger sensor is why didn't Pentax include a larger sensor in the original Q? This may have muted the early criticisms.

While the build quality is not up the classic Q standards, it feels better than I expected. All in all this appears to be a great upgrade and makes the Q a much more capable little camera. A few initial pics as well.

Dale
Hi Dale
Agree with all your impressions.My Q7 came from Hongkong,Body only since I had the 01,02,03 and 06.Good deal:338.00 shipped.
Could not find anything here locally either.Since it is a Christmas present from "me to me" have not used it yet.
Nice Pics by the way.
Regards
Ted Hinsch

12-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Ted:

Enjoy your new present.

Dale
12-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
Forum Member

Hi Ted:

Enjoy your new present.

Dale

Thank's Dale

I'm shure I am going to have lots of fun with it.

Ted
12-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My only question with the larger sensor is why didn't Pentax include a larger sensor in the original Q? This may have muted the early criticisms.
The 1/1.7 sensors of the time couldn't do HD video, so Pentax had a tough choice: launch the camera with a smaller sensor but with HD video or have a more credible sensor but be the only MILC system without HD video.
12-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The original Q sensor performed better than people expected but unfortunately, due to the small size, many didn't even give the camera a try. Dynamic range was quite good on the original Q compared to other compacts I have used. The Q7 output is quite competitive with the MX-1, so I am very pleased.

Dale
12-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The original Q sensor performed better than people expected but unfortunately, due to the small size, many didn't even give the camera a try.
Ain't that the truth..! I was blown away by the original Q (still am)