Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax q adapter longer exposure time

Hello !
Is there any way to get longer exposure than 2 sec with a "pirate" adapter ?

What on the pentax adapter is communicate with pentax q is it electrically or mechanist and is there any picture on that ?

I just want to try to use my pentax q for astrophotography and need longer exposure time and I have one pirate adapter .
Kindly bjorsa

12-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Electronic. Must have OEM adapter for that...
12-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bjorsa Quote
Hello !
Is there any way to get longer exposure than 2 sec with a "pirate" adapter ?

What on the pentax adapter is communicate with pentax q is it electrically or mechanist and is there any picture on that ?

I just want to try to use my pentax q for astrophotography and need longer exposure time and I have one pirate adapter .
Kindly bjorsa
You'll need to get the pentax adapter, since it's got the leaf shutter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok so no way to trick the pentax q to think that I have a pentax q adapter and not a kiwi adapter
Kindly bjorsa

12-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Q bodies don't have a mechanical shutter. The premium lenses ( 01,02,06, 08) have leaf shutters in them. When the Q uses any other lens it defaults to using the electronic image sensor as a shutter. This gives us the 2 sec longest exposure time. This is why Pentax built their Q-PK adapter with a leaf shutter in it. No other lens adapter has a shutter.

Trying to fool the camera to adapter type would be like a car with no wheels, being fooled to ride well. Not happening. This is why the Pentax adapter is more expensive. I thank Pentax for building their adapter this way. It is worth its weight in gold.

We can use a trick to get a longer exposure time. Set camera to manual exposure 2 seconds. Set multiple exposure in menu. Take 9 exposures at 2 seconds giving 18 sec total. This will reduce noise by about 3 steps! You could also take single shots and combine them in editing software like you did.

Enjoyed your planet shots. Please share more.
thanks
barondla
12-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Q has built in image stacking? Wow! How many images can it stack?
12-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Yes 6BQ5, they will do multiple exposures. My K-7 does and every DSLR/MILC since. All do 9 shots max. The ME menu also allows ticking auto ev adjust on or off. I use ME a lot for noise reduction of low light ( not astronomical) shots. It is a blessing on the Q.

I have heard the K-3 allows many more than 9. No idea if it is true. Hope so.
thanks
barondla
long live the EL84. The Q is fun.
12-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Q bodies don't have a mechanical shutter. The premium lenses ( 01,02,06, 08) have leaf shutters in them. When the Q uses any other lens it defaults to using the electronic image sensor as a shutter. This gives us the 2 sec longest exposure time. This is why Pentax built their Q-PK adapter with a leaf shutter in it. No other lens adapter has a shutter.

Trying to fool the camera to adapter type would be like a car with no wheels, being fooled to ride well. Not happening. This is why the Pentax adapter is more expensive. I thank Pentax for building their adapter this way. It is worth its weight in gold.

We can use a trick to get a longer exposure time. Set camera to manual exposure 2 seconds. Set multiple exposure in menu. Take 9 exposures at 2 seconds giving 18 sec total. This will reduce noise by about 3 steps! You could also take single shots and combine them in editing software like you did.

Enjoyed your planet shots. Please share more.
thanks
barondla
Thanks for the answer !
I will try the 9*2 sek and get a "preview" to see if I should get the pentax q adapter
Kindly bjorsa

12-10-2013, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Hi barondla,

I don't have one yet (will be ordering one soon. . .), but the menu allows for 2-2000 exposures in multi exposure mode with or without Ev comp!

Scott
12-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Yes 6BQ5, they will do multiple exposures. My K-7 does and every DSLR/MILC since. All do 9 shots max. The ME menu also allows ticking auto ev adjust on or off. I use ME a lot for noise reduction of low light ( not astronomical) shots. It is a blessing on the Q.

thanks
barondla
long live the EL84. The Q is fun.
I know of HDR stacking where the camera combines under, over, and properly exposed shots. Not to hijack the thread but could I ask you to point me to the multiple image stacking feature so I can find it in my K-30?
12-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I know of HDR stacking where the camera combines under, over, and properly exposed shots. Not to hijack the thread but could I ask you to point me to the multiple image stacking feature so I can find it in my K-30?

If it is anything like the Q:

Press the MENU button
Red Camera Icon > 2nd Page > Multi-exposure
12-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
Site Supporter

K-3 allows 2000 multiple exposures! Totally amazing. That must take an incredible amount of memory and processing. Few digital cameras do multiple exposures. Does any other camera do 2000? Bet we won't be seeing this in a firmware update for the Q. Think how many batteries it would take.
Thanks snostorm for the info. Makes it harder to resist a new camera.
thanks
barondla
12-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I found it in my K-30. Nine stacked images at ISO 12k came out really clean! Thumbs up for the Q for having this feature too!
12-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I found it in my K-30. Nine stacked images at ISO 12k came out really clean! Thumbs up for the Q for having this feature too!
If only Pentax advertised some of the cool features they have. I actually feel sorry for canikon shooters.
thanks
barondla
12-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter

If only Pentax advertised some of the cool features they have. I actually feel sorry for canikon shooters.

thanks

barondla

Oh, this isn't a common feature among DSLRs or MILCs?