Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All sorted!! Spent the afternoon shooting at iso 125 and 200 with fast moving toddlers. Initial feeling about the update as I start to go through the pics is a significant noise reduction improvement. I seem to able to retrieve a lot more detail than I did prior. Albeit this is the first time I've used this venue. But just moving the levels slider to correct exposure seems to recover a lot more and the subjects are a lot smoother/sharper. Would be curious to see how much more I could get if I then ran the images through noise reduction software.

Am really pleased with the results and super happy that I'm finally getting the pictures I want out of the Q. For a little while there I wasn't sure I'd done the right thing pulling the trigger on this little dynamo. But this firmware update has changed my mind.

Anyone else getting similar results?

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 12-06-2013 at 03:58 AM.
12-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #17

On the Q7 it says , "Improved performance of green button setting on M mode" , any one any ideas what's changed here?

J
12-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #18

Q10 & Q7 update retains all your settings - nice!

After updating FWs they both retain your settings - no going through selecting Language, Date & Time, Q-mode dials & parameters etc. Wonderful! On the original Q - everything goes to "Scratch One" and you've gotta re-enter settings. But I'm not complaining - Pentax Ricoh is rare amongst companies issuing FW updates to discontinued models - I'm quite grateful.

Rick
12-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can anyone who updated their Q check to see if the focus zoom has been increased from 4X to anything higher? If yes I will update. Otherwise will wait till I get the 08 lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hinomaru Quote
But I'm not complaining - Pentax Ricoh is rare amongst companies issuing FW updates to discontinued models - I'm quite grateful.
I must say the update for the Q that enabled the support for the K adapter was MONUMENTAL.
Added peaking, and SR for adapted, and I don't remember what else but it was AWESOME!
Way to go Ricoh!

12-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
On the Q7 it says , "Improved performance of green button setting on M mode" , any one any ideas what's changed here?
In FW 1.00 on M mode when I hit the green button it does a shift in shutter speed to correct the exposure, but it is sort of a smooth change that takes about a second to complete.
if you are underexposed you can see the screen increase in brightness smoothly, sorta like there is some analysis happening as it is doing it.
Maybe the update makes it happen more instantaneously?

Can someone confirm?
12-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
Forum Member

Have the new firmware on the original Q and don't notice any differences. Looks like just the support for the 08 lens like they said. Usually when something important is changed or added it's noted in the release notes. Improvements to image quality and focusing speed etc are noted in the release notes if these are improved. We will continue to get new FW updates for the new lenses that are released. Next lens to be released should be the telephoto macro lens.
12-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoffo Quote
Have the new firmware on the original Q and don't notice any differences. Looks like just the support for the 08 lens like they said. Usually when something important is changed or added it's noted in the release notes. Improvements to image quality and focusing speed etc are noted in the release notes if these are improved. We will continue to get new FW updates for the new lenses that are released. Next lens to be released should be the telephoto macro lens.
Hrmm.. interesting. I wonder if it's all in my head then? I just seem to feel like the noise reduction and low light capabilities have improved. Oh well. As long as I am now happy with my Q, it's all good..

12-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Hrmm.. interesting. I wonder if it's all in my head then? I just seem to feel like the noise reduction and low light capabilities have improved. Oh well. As long as I am now happy with my Q, it's all good..
If you went from the original FW to the latest there were a few improvements in between that were all brought over, so you may be seeing some of those.
FW1.11 improved AF.

QuoteQuote:
Changes to V1.14

• Correspond to [PENTAX-08 WIDE ZOOM].
  • Improved stability for general performance.Note: When update is executed, the camera setting will be returned to default setting. We recommend you to make a memorandum the setting of your camera before updating.
    *Contents of [Version 1.13] and earlier version will be also updated.
Changes to V1.13

• Correspond to [PENTAX-07 MOUNT SHIELD LENS].
  • Improved stability for general performance.Note: When update is executed, the camera setting will be returned to default setting. We recommend you to make a memorandum the setting of your camera before updating.
Changes to V1.12

• Corrected --- Tone Expansion of Smart Effect is not effect correctly in firmware version 1.11.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
Changes to V1.11

• Improved contrast AF performance.
Changes to V1.10

• Correspond to [Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses]. How to input focal length Click here
  • Correspond to [PENTAX-06 TELEPHOTO ZOOM]
Changes to V1.01

• Improved the resolution when set ting Fine Sharpness.
12-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I need a firmware upgrade for "improved stability". Sometimes my camera just shuts down for no reason. I'm hoping it's just a firmware issue.
12-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #25

My Q7 has the "shut down" too

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I need a firmware upgrade for "improved stability". Sometimes my camera just shuts down for no reason. I'm hoping it's just a firmware issue.
My Q7 shuts down for no reason also. I've noticed improvement after the latest FW update - meaning now it shuts down mostly when I'm using "Digital Filters" - I would take a few shots using for example "Toy Camera or Invert Color" modes and for no reason Q7 turns itself off. Other times the Q7 "locks up" and require taking the battery out for reboot. But now shooting in standard modes (without use of Digital Filters) it will operate fine.

Rick
03-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does anyone know when it will reach a new FW for Q7 ?.
1.01 has more than a year ...