Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q7 Wide Angle?

Hi Chaps,

Iíve been a Pentax DSLR owner for a few years now but have just won a Q7 in a photo comp. Was pretty surprised to win so have not had much chance to read up on the Q7 yet (but pretty excited about joining the Q7 club J). I normally shoot pretty wide and although the 5-15 looks like a nice walkabout lens Iím wondering if the Q7 has any wider options? I know Pentax are just about to launch a wide zoom for the Q but I really cant afford the £430 price tag for this. Are there any other wide options available for the Q7 as I see a lot of C-mount lenses advertised on Ebay for the Pentax Q and wondered if they work well?

Many thanks for any replies
mark

12-13-2013, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The only Pentax option, as you mentioned, is the wide zoom:

SMC Pentax-Q 08 Wide Zoom 3.8-5.9mm F3.7-4 Reviews - Q-Mount Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I would honestly use a larger format camera for wide-angles, like a Pentax DSLR. You're just not going to get the same IQ from a compact like the Q, not only due to the small sensor size itself but also due to diffraction.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2013, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Any lens that you adapt to the Q7 will have a crop factor of 4.6x, so to get an adapted wide angle you have to start with a very wide focal length lens.
Cheapest way to go wider than the 02 zoom may be to get the 03 fisheye and apply some de-fish process in post.
12-13-2013, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

The 02 zoom is pretty darn wide on the Q7. Comparable to the DA15 on APS-C.

Compare these two shots:

02 @ 5

DA15

And as Larry said, don't forget the 03 fish-eye. Cheap and *ridiculously* wide. It covers the Q7 sensor quite easily.

12-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers for all the comments guys. Based on your feedback I think I'll stick with the 5-15 for the time being :-)