Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The Q is a great little camera, no doubt about that. But I see you want something that's easier to carry around then your bigger SLR. And I have to say, the Q + any lens combo is not THAT small. It will not fit your pocket. It still needs its own bag, and if you're carrying a seperate bag anyway then all bets are off again, imho. That's the reason why my smartphone's camera still is my always-carry-along-with-me-camera.
Q with 01 fits comfortably in my shirt pocket or slacks, especially with the hood dismounted.

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I just bought a white Q, although I have a black one already. The 01 lens looks great on the white original Q! My wife who has ZERO interesting in ANY camera (she thinks iPhone is the best camera ) says she might want to play with the combo.
Q7 should be much better in IQ. but Q looks better to me. And if I need better IQ, I go K01 or K5II.
My wife is now addcited to Q #2. I'll never get it back. In fact, I'll never get my 03 back.

12-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Why would they downgrade when the original one was clearly better!?
Cost I suspect, maybe same reason going to plastic vs magnesium body?
12-16-2013, 09:47 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The one thing the original Q does better than either Q10 or Q7 is sound of video recordings.
The Q has stereo microphones that work very well for capturing performance and concert sound.
Yep... Here's an example:
12-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eggzactly Gibby, nice example.

12-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I've recently just did purchase the original Q. I prefer the magnesium body over the plastic body.
True, it has a smaller sensor than Q7, but so far I am more than happy with it and its IQ.

You can always pick up an MX-1 as a companion to your Q (like I did) if you need the bigger sensor size and still be pocketable .

And I don't know about the others, but I can put the Q+02 in my front jeans pocket without issues (same with MX-1).

I can't even fit a Q+01 in my front or back jeans pocket! I feel that the Q can only be called pocketable when wearing a coat.
Same for the MX-1 it is a hefty compact camera in it's own way.

Pocketable or not I still enjoy the Q
12-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gt6plus Quote
I can't even fit a Q+01 in my front or back jeans pocket! I feel that the Q can only be called pocketable when wearing a coat.

I guess we have to specify the type of jeans .
Small, tight or skinny jeans... yea, I could see that as an issue with the Q .
12-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gt6plus Quote

Well, I generally wear khaki's outside the house - the kind with broad, deep pockets. Sometimes I wear cargo-style pants made of light canvas duck (Carhartts) so obviously they'll work. Even my jeans are Wranglers, cut for actually sitting astride a saddle.

But I'll readily admit I'm an outlier. Even within the distribution of Pentax shooters amongst all camera users.

12-16-2013, 09:58 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This past Fall I spent 3 weeks in Germany, I left the K5 at home and just took the original Q. While it will never replace the K5 (or now the K3) for a small and light travel camera it is just fine. Here is an example:

If you are interested, this whole gallery was taken with the Q: Germany trip 2013 Photo Gallery by Heinrich Lohmann at pbase.com
12-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
This past Fall I spent 3 weeks in Germany, I left the K5 at home and just took the original Q. While it will never replace the K5 (or now the K3) for a small and light travel camera it is just fine. Here is an example:

If you are interested, this whole gallery was taken with the Q: Germany trip 2013 Photo Gallery by Heinrich Lohmann at pbase.com
Excellent!
The photographer certainly counts over the camera/sensor.
12-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #25

Original Q! No doubt!!

I'd like a newer model for free/cheap, of course, but the original for me is far better!

Metal casing: my first Q has survived knocks and falls that I doubt any newer plastic (ooops, sorry, polycarbonate) model could withstand.
Also, scratches and dents looks so much better on a black metal body. My only complaint in that department would be that the metal underneath the black paint is white and not brass gold like the original Spotmatics and such. That's progress, I guess. So I've bought two more black Q bodies with the 01 lens as backups.

Portability: I almost never use the 01 lens, but instead various strange adapted concoctions. My favourites are body-cap conversions of cheap and cheerful CS-lenses. Normally I use 2,8mm, 8mm and 12mm (all with fixed f:1,2 aperture). With the 2,1mm/2,5mm/2,8mm adapted CS-lenses the Q goes down the back pocket of tight jeans with no problems at all, except when I want to sit down....

IQ: As you may have guessed, the IQ is of lower importance when I use these lenses. But I think the two examples from the 12mm and 2,1mm below shows that you can get almost acceptable results even from lenses in this 3-4 US$ price range.

f:1,2/12mm CS / JPG straight out of Q / downscaled to 1024x:

f:1,2/2,1mm CS / PP in Q / downscaled to 1024x:

And if anybody is interested, I could sell off one (maybe two) unused, mint, 01 lenses!
Location of lenses: South Sweden.

thanks/Erik

Last edited by Erich_H; 12-20-2013 at 07:32 AM.
12-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #26

Original Poster
Camera just arrived today. First tests look good, I hope I can find the time to do some daylight shots tomorrow, but I fear this has to wait till the weekend (Job's crazy right now).

From the feel of the camera I'm rather pleased I got the older model. Compared to other small cameras I handled the metal casing feels much less like a toy to me.

Pocketability is just fine, by the way. I had never planned to put in my trouser pocket and it fits quite well into my coat pockets, even with the 02 zoom.
12-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
camera just arrived today.
:d:d:d:d:d
12-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
Camera just arrived today. First tests look good, I hope I can find the time to do some daylight shots tomorrow, but I fear this has to wait till the weekend (Job's crazy right now).

From the feel of the camera I'm rather pleased I got the older model. Compared to other small cameras I handled the metal casing feels much less like a toy to me.

Pocketability is just fine, by the way. I had never planned to put in my trouser pocket and it fits quite well into my coat pockets, even with the 02 zoom.

Such fun! Much joy!
12-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both the original Q and the Q7. After using the Q7 for the past month, I no longer reach for the original Q as the IQ and responsiveness have made this a much better camera for me. However, for the price of the kit available to you, it is hard to pass up and you won't be disappointed.

Dale
12-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #30

Original Poster
Seems the Q is definitely a conversation piece ;-)

I had the K5 in the office several times and the only one who asked me about it was a semi-pro Canon shooter. ("Is that one of this limited leses?" - It was) With the Q everybody who saw it on my desk noticed it. ("Is that a real camera?" "Is that a toy?" "Cute!!!!")

As for me, I still only did a few tests, nothing worth uploading but I really like the 01's pictures and I'm satisfied with the 02 zoom so far - not outstanding but quite usable.

All in all: Thanks to all here who advised me to go for the deal, I'm glad I did!