Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife has had a Q, but I got one of my own a couple of days ago. Didn't have a chance to really experiment with it, but tried to use it with my Sigma 400mm f5.6 to shoot eagles. I overexposed a bit, but it got a much closer shot that I would have been able to get otherwise.

01-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanator Quote
Just bought a Q last Wednesday with the 01 and 02 lens kit. Hi there, btw this is my first post.
Welcome, post some shots when you can.
01-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
My wife has had a Q, but I got one of my own a couple of days ago. Didn't have a chance to really experiment with it, but tried to use it with my Sigma 400mm f5.6 to shoot eagles. I overexposed a bit, but it got a much closer shot that I would have been able to get otherwise.
Yes, I find that with the Q I need to run a little under exposed generally for the pictures to come out right.
I use M mode, then vary the shutter speed so that the scale is showing about -1 exposure.

With the 400 you may need a scope to make acquiring your target easier.
I have also found that using 4x magnification and an LCD loupe helps with getting the focus spot on.

Looking forward to your photos, welcome to Q ownership
01-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TaoMass, glad to have you in the Q forum. Interested to see some pics with the 400 Sigma. Enjoy the second Q. Two Q families are special!
thanks
barondla

01-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
This past Fall I spent 3 weeks in Germany, I left the K5 at home and just took the original Q. While it will never replace the K5 (or now the K3) for a small and light travel camera it is just fine. Here is an example:

If you are interested, this whole gallery was taken with the Q: Germany trip 2013 Photo Gallery by Heinrich Lohmann at pbase.com
That is an excellent photo gallery of Germany!
01-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
Yes, I know the Q7 is a significant improvement over the first models but as I'm currently seeing offers for the original Q around 200 new together with the 5-15 mm or 8 mm, I wonder if I shouldn't get it anyway.

What I am looking for is not a replacement for my K5 but a nice compact camera to carry around with me when I don't want to lug around the big SLR, a P&S with an upgrade option so to speak.

So I'm fishing for opinions from people who maybe had both models, would you still get the first model for a good price, or would you say the Q7 is so much better that I should pay the ca. 300 more in any case?

Edit: Just saw the Q+8.5mm kit I found for 200 at a price comparison site was actually listed in the wrong section, it's the lens only! Sounded to good to be true... still the offers for the zoom kit at ca. 230 are correct, so my question still stands.
Replying to the original post, which is old but...

YES!

I got my second Q from Newegg with the 02 lens and it is a fun and excellent camera to use for times when you don't want to to take your DSLR. Use it for its strengths and you will see what a pleasure it is to shoot with it. No regrets despite being an older design camera.
01-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Agreed, YES!
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Use it for its strengths and you will see what a pleasure it is to shoot with it.
Very well put.