Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #1

Would you get the original Q?

Yes, I know the Q7 is a significant improvement over the first models but as I'm currently seeing offers for the original Q around 200€ new together with the 5-15 mm or 8 mm, I wonder if I shouldn't get it anyway.

What I am looking for is not a replacement for my K5 but a nice compact camera to carry around with me when I don't want to lug around the big SLR, a P&S with an upgrade option so to speak.

So I'm fishing for opinions from people who maybe had both models, would you still get the first model for a good price, or would you say the Q7 is so much better that I should pay the ca. 300€ more in any case?

Edit: Just saw the Q+8.5mm kit I found for 200€ at a price comparison site was actually listed in the wrong section, it's the lens only! Sounded to good to be true... still the offers for the zoom kit at ca. 230€ are correct, so my question still stands.

Last edited by mano; 12-15-2013 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Addition to question
12-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was just going to write that the either of the lenses costs as much as the package separately. So, essentially the camera is free. Yes the new Q7 has the upgraded sensor, however the original is not terrible, not bad, its just not as good. It has noise at the higher ISOs. It also has the magnesium alloy body, while the Q7 is polycarbonate. As a walkaround little camera it is really fun to use. I will say the 01 lens (8.5mm) is smaller and therefore easier when mounted to put (the whole thing) in your pocket. The 02 (5-15) is much larger.

About a year ago they were having a clearance sale on the Q with the 5-15. I posted here to see if anyone wanted just the camera body. Then bought it and split the kit and the cost in half. It worked out for both of us. So, I was able to pick up the Q with the 8.5 and the 5-15 for 300 total.

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-15-2013 at 04:54 AM.
12-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just for clarification: the 8.5mm lens is the 01, and the 5-15mm is the 02. Both lenses have a more useful (wider) angle of view on the Q7 than they do on the original Q.

Having both, I would definitely get the Q7. I'll sell you my Q cheap if you like, but postage costs to Europe may be prohibitive
12-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the Q as you are considering to use it. My kit includes the 01 Prime, 06 Telephoto and 03 Fish-eye. Its images are fine right out of the camera. Images also take post processing quite well, too. Up your pp game and most will be hard pressed to tell the diff when compared to any DSLR make, or model. The Q is my grab and go camera. I have no regrets about the Q and using it that way.

As to the Q7.... I do not have one, so can't speak to it relative to the Q. Prices seem to be softening in the US. So, I'll never say never on it. Until then, I'm quite happy with the Q. Getting it was a good decision.

Cheers... M

12-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the original Q and only kept it about 6 months, nothing wrng with it, I just found myself carrying two platforms around all the time and it got a little cumbersome. It's a beautiful little camera and lots of fun, but don't expect the IQ of a DSLR. If the price is right go for it. That said, myself I would not buy it now because I would always feel I should have bought the Q7. The same size and mount with much better IQ would always tantalize me.
12-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q has its own charm - ergonomics, magnesium alloy body, black or white only, boxy shape . . .

I have two and my wife has one (and a daughter has one) - all acquired during the clearance sales for about $100 each net - and I'l also get a Q7 one of these days. Given I have the 01, 02, 03 and 06, adding the Q7 will be sort of like adding 4 new lenses too.
12-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both cameras.
The Q is great and the build is awesome.
IQ is very good at lower ISO vs your DSLR, keep reasonable expectations and you will enjoy it.

Most of the photos in this thread are from Q not Q7. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q.html

For your needs the Q is fine, the Q7 has slightly better IQ and snappier performance if you think you need it.
I bought the Q7 because I felt the larger sensor would allow more latitude in my adapted lens applications.

The Q kit is still what goes with me on business trips and family events.

12-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for your answers! You were most helpful and I just ordered a set with the camera and the 5-15m and 8mm for 350€.

For that price and compared to the current cost of the lenses and Q7 sets I really got the camera for free - so nothing lost if I later decide to get a Q7.

Edit: Also, in the meantime I took a long walk through the forest which led me up and down some rather slippery tracks being at times a bit worried about the kit I was carrying. The experience reminded me again why I thought about the Q in the first place!

Last edited by mano; 12-15-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Afterthought.
12-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I see you took the plunge.
Congrats!

I have Q and Q7 (also reviewed the Q10).

The Q7 is the better camera in most aspects imho.
Speedier response, Better AF in all conditions (esp. low light), better IQ, better features, better crop factor (for my use)

The Q is not bad though, so long as one can accept it for what it is and use it to its strengths (ie. small sensor IQ; ILC; well built; unique small sensor+ILC options)
With the later firmware update, it focuses much better in low light than v1.00 firmware and is generally fast to AF in good light.
Another fantastic thing is that the original Q often comes with the 01 prime which is hard to get as a separate lens.
Also, between Q and Q10, I'd take the Q without a doubt, for the nice feeling heft and metal build.
12-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I use the Q as you are considering to use it. My kit includes the 01 Prime, 06 Telephoto and 03 Fish-eye. Its images are fine right out of the camera. Images also take post processing quite well, too. Up your pp game and most will be hard pressed to tell the diff when compared to any DSLR make, or model. The Q is my grab and go camera. I have no regrets about the Q and using it that way.

As to the Q7.... I do not have one, so can't speak to it relative to the Q. Prices seem to be softening in the US. So, I'll never say never on it. Until then, I'm quite happy with the Q. Getting it was a good decision.
I also have the original Q, and would agree with that assessment. It's a much better camera than a lot of people think. I shoot with the Q more than my DSLRs.
12-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The Q is a great little camera, no doubt about that. But I see you want something that's easier to carry around then your bigger SLR. And I have to say, the Q + any lens combo is not THAT small. It will not fit your pocket. It still needs its own bag, and if you're carrying a seperate bag anyway then all bets are off again, imho. That's the reason why my smartphone's camera still is my always-carry-along-with-me-camera.
12-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've recently just did purchase the original Q. I prefer the magnesium body over the plastic body.
True, it has a smaller sensor than Q7, but so far I am more than happy with it and its IQ.

You can always pick up an MX-1 as a companion to your Q (like I did) if you need the bigger sensor size and still be pocketable .

And I don't know about the others, but I can put the Q+02 in my front jeans pocket without issues (same with MX-1).

Last edited by mrNewt; 12-16-2013 at 07:41 AM.
12-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just bought a white Q, although I have a black one already. The 01 lens looks great on the white original Q! My wife who has ZERO interesting in ANY camera (she thinks iPhone is the best camera ) says she might want to play with the combo.
Q7 should be much better in IQ. but Q looks better to me. And if I need better IQ, I go K01 or K5II.
12-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one thing the original Q does better than either Q10 or Q7 is sound of video recordings.
The Q has stereo microphones that work very well for capturing performance and concert sound.
The other cameras have mono mics.
12-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The one thing the original Q does better than either Q10 or Q7 is sound of video recordings.
The Q has stereo microphones that work very well for capturing performance and concert sound.
The other cameras have mono mics.
Why would they downgrade when the original one was clearly better!?