Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
"Is that a real camera?" "Is that a toy?" "Cute!!!!"
Brother-in-law: Is that an Interchangeable Lens Camera?

12-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q is a great camera and people love to look at it, touch it, and ask questions about it. It is fun. A lot of fun.

I am glad you bought a Q. Welcome to the forums. Post some pics when possible.
thanks
barondla

Make sure you do all the body and lens firmware updates. Q need their shots to be healthy.
12-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
I'd like a newer model for free/cheap, of course, but the original for me is far better!

Metal casing: my first Q has survived knocks and falls that I doubt any newer plastic (ooops, sorry, polycarbonate) model would withstand.
Also, scratches and dents looks so much better on a black metal body. My only complaint in that department would be that the metal underneath the black paint is white and not brass gold like the original Spotmatics and such. That's progress, I guess. So I've bought two more black Q bodies with the 01 lens as backups.

Portability: I almost never use the 01 lens, but instead various strange adapted concoctions. My favourites are body-cap conversions of cheap and cheerful CS-lenses. Normally I use 2,8mm, 8mm and 12mm (all with fixed f:1,2 aperture). With the 2,1mm/2,5mm/2,8mm adapted CS-lenses the Q goes down the back pocket of tight jeans with no problems at all, except when I want to sit down....

IQ: As you may have guessed, the IQ is of lower importance when I use these lenses. But I think the two examples from the 12mm and 2,1mm below shows that you can get almost acceptable results even from lenses in this 3-4 US$ price range.

f:1,2/12mm CS / JPG straight out of Q / downscaled to 1024x:

f:1,2/2,1mm CS / PP in Q / downscaled to 1024x:

And if anybody is interested, I could sell off one (maybe two) unused, mint, 01 lenses!
Location of lenses: South Sweden.

thanks/Erik
Very intersting images, particularly #2. Did you machine a c mount adapter or actually find a cs to q adapter?
12-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #34
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
Yes, I know the Q7 is a significant improvement over the first models but as I'm currently seeing offers for the original Q around 200€ new together with the 5-15 mm or 8 mm, I wonder if I shouldn't get it anyway.

What I am looking for is not a replacement for my K5 but a nice compact camera to carry around with me when I don't want to lug around the big SLR, a P&S with an upgrade option so to speak.

So I'm fishing for opinions from people who maybe had both models, would you still get the first model for a good price, or would you say the Q7 is so much better that I should pay the ca. 300€ more in any case?

Edit: Just saw the Q+8.5mm kit I found for 200€ at a price comparison site was actually listed in the wrong section, it's the lens only! Sounded to good to be true... still the offers for the zoom kit at ca. 230€ are correct, so my question still stands.
If you can get hold of the original Q along with 01 and 02 lenses, you should grab one before the supplies run out. I have two Qs...excellent cameras.

12-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
If you can get hold of the original Q along with 01 and 02 lenses, you should grab one before the supplies run out. I have two Qs...excellent cameras.
Already did!
12-20-2013, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #36

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q - CS adapter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Very intersting images, particularly #2. Did you machine a c mount adapter or actually find a cs to q adapter?
No, I just took one locking body cap per lens, took a 25 mm "hole saw" drill attachment, made the hole (centered by eye measurement), cut/sanded off the excess plastic. As luck would have it the focal flange distance is almost perfect with the JJC brand body caps. On one or two lenses I've had to put a little spacer between the lens and body cap (about 1 mm or so)
Then I used my old friend Super Glue. The red dot for bayonet attachment is nail laquer.
Tip: Use your girls good stuff!
The cheap brands peel off. I'd recommend Clinique! Have fun!!

Below some pictures to help you, I hope!

Thanks/Erik
12-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
No, I just took one locking body cap per lens, took a 25 mm "hole saw" drill attachment, made the hole (centered by eye measurement), cut/sanded off the excess plastic. As luck would have it the focal flange distance is almost perfect with the JJC brand body caps. On one or two lenses I've had to put a little spacer between the lens and body cap (about 1 mm or so)
Then I used my old friend Super Glue. The red dot for bayonet attachment is nail laquer.
Tip: Use your girls good stuff!
The cheap brands peel off. I'd recommend Clinique! Have fun!!

Below some pictures to help you, I hope!

Thanks/Erik
Cool instructable. The Q is fun

12-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #38

Get Q + 01, because Q10 and Q7 has no 01 lens on their kits. Basically, you bought a lens with the body as a bonus
12-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #39

I'm in the same situation as you, Mano. Decided to get the original due to the price difference (I'm a poor student!).
I'm excited now. Thanks to everyone for the advice in this thread, it was very useful it helping me weigh up my options.
12-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #40

I bought a Q three weeks ago with the 01 and the 02 lens for 234 pounds sterling,pretty good price I reckon,hello by the way my first post
12-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scottbott Quote
I bought a Q three weeks ago with the 01 and the 02 lens for 234 pounds sterling,pretty good price I reckon,hello by the way my first post
Welcome to the new Q-sers! Have fun
12-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Again welcome to the new Q-sers! you have a great resource here, tons of info and how-to's for almost anything you can think of has been discussed on this forum, enjoy your Q's and have fun with them
12-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello to the new Q-sers. Welcome to the Q forum. Best little forum around. Post some pics when you get the chance.
thanks
barondla

The Q proves photography can still be FUN.
01-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #44

I'm in the Q-boat too:
With 5-15 and 15-45 Zoom-lenses.
Looking for the WA-Zoom (or fish?).
Having a cheap K-adaptor I must say:
As a super-tele-solution not handable without a tripod - so therefore you need an adaptor (or an adapted lens) with tripod-mount.
I tried Pentax A 1.7/50 and K 3.5/135 and A 4/70-210.
50mm handheld is o.k. but the 70-210 without tripod? No chance....

Having looked at the newer Q10 and Q7 but I don't like their looks as well as their haptics.
The Q is normally not used as a low-light-solution.
For that I have a K-5.
For everything else the Q is doing fine up to ISO 400.
01-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #45

Just bought a Q last Wednesday with the 01 and 02 lens kit. Hi there, btw this is my first post.