Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

which Q now ?

Hi ,
was looking at local webshopsite , to see what is in stock .
Q (white) + 8.5 + 5-15 is 299€.
Q7 + 5-15 = 339€
while Q7 body is 349 !??

Not in stock
Q10 + 5-15 = 189€ ( why so low ?)
is this model still continued ?

So wich one would i look out for , in regards to AF speed , high iso .......

Last edited by kurt1968; 12-15-2013 at 08:51 AM.
12-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If AF speed and high ISO are key then of the three the Q7 kit would be the choice.
Keep in mind high ISO is not great on any of these compared to DSLR but the Q7 lets you shoot a few stops faster.
The Q10 is really a Q with plastic body so no difference otherwise.
Always buy them with lens kits, buying any separately is more expensive.

All in all the Q plus 2 lenses above is the best deal and IQ is only slightly behind Q7.
12-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

First was the original Q. It looks cool and its really tiny.
Then they made the Q10, which is basically the same as the original Q on the inside, but looks different on the outside (some dont like this change, because it has more plastic)
The latest one is the Q7, which looks like the Q10, but has a better and bigger sensor. This means it will have slightly better ISO performance and that the lenses on it will be slightly wider than on the Q (different crop factor, you see). To sum up, the Q7 has the latest technology and should be the best in that regard. But the Q has a great build and cool design, so a lot of people prefer it. The Q7 did not improve super dramatically over the previous models, but there is improvement in pretty much every area, except maybe build.
More info here (includes comparisons, just scroll down):
Pentax Q7 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
And here (user reviews of individual cameras):
Pentax Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Edit: I think this also explains why the Q10 is cheapest. It is the least popular, because it doesn't have the body of the original Q, and it doesnt have the improved sensor of the Q7. So fewer people buy it, but that means its price goes down and its a better deal. Of course, the other problem is bundles and online deals, which are often inconsistent and don't make sense. Just try to get a good one, and get warranty. Make sure they send you what you paid for, camera and lens(s)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.
12-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK and what about lenses ?
Cropfactor is ?
8.5mm is the fastest ?

12-15-2013, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Well lenses are things you put in front of the sensor and they help you take photos. Some give you a wide field of view, others are tele lenses that make far-away-objects appear close by. Some are bright, others not so much. Most have a focus mechanism to regulate the distance of optimal sharpness is. People seem to love their lenses on the Q, so you probably want to get a package with a lens. You can also get adapters and adapt K mount or I think even C and other mounts to the Q.
More about lenses here:
Pentax Q-Mount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Appears that the Pentax-Q 01 Standard Prime 8.5mm, with its F1.9, is the fastest. Runner up is probably the Pentax-Q 06 Telephoto Zoom 15-45mm at constant F2.8. There are many threads on the forum in praise of specific lenses, you can even find sample photos. People seem to especially enjoy the wide angle zoom. Some really love the fisheye! And some enjoy using primes.
Of course, some members complain that there aren't enough lenses for the Q. Then again, some complain there aren't enough lenses for the K mount cameras, either. Its never enough, you see. But I don't think any of the Q lenses is a real stinker, they just each have their own specifics that you might want or not. I would just be careful with the "Toy lenses" and 03 Fisheye and the 07 Mount Shield lens, because those are the most.. extraordinary in their way, and its easy to complain about their output/usefulness.

The crop factor of the Q7 is 4.7. For the previous models its 5.6. According to Wikipedia that I just checked 5 seconds ago.
Keep in mind that the Q is a tiny, fun camera. It is certainly not meant to compete with the K-mount DSLRs, it is not really meant for professional studio photographers. But it does produce photos and depending on the photographer and scene, they can be pretty amazing And the Q does offer many features that small cameras usually don't - like interchangeable lenses, recording raw image data, focus peaking, etc.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-15-2013 at 10:24 AM.
12-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the Q7 and Q, reviewed the Q10.
Q is better than Q10 for the better build.
They are generally similar in most respects.
So I would get the Q over Q10.

Q7 is better in features, sensor, speed over the other 2.

IMHO, you need the fast prime 01 lens for the Q system to get better w light use