Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
03 Lens: Focus lock helper

Is it just me or is the focus ring overly sensitive and prone to be moved every time you look at the camera? I have done various versions of tape to maintain focus but that is tacky. (I liked the blue painters tape best though. Easy to remove and no residue.) I have a solution if anyone is interested.

I designed a ring with a small tab that fits into the focus ring knurl. While it is not "continuous" focus, it jumps between notches, there is enough DOF to cover a fraction of a click. I've been using this for 6 months with no problems. I do have 2 pieces of double stick tape holding the ring in place. I love it, it looks cool and much easier to live with than tape is. The ring was modeled in SolidWorks and printed on an Objet printer with a 24 micron resolution. You could not print this with a common FDM Makerbot type printer. ( I have access to various 3D printers and have those too, so I know their capabilities and I've been 3D printing for 11+ years.)

What do you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check my solution in this thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/233209-03-fisheye-focus-keeper-tip.html

The printed keeper looks cool.
12-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I dont have an 03 lens, but wow that is cool! Now its got me wondering what other camera accessories could be printed
12-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. What a marvelous idea

2. I don't understand the concept of 3D printing so I have no idea of how it is made.

3. I NEED ONE

I really think that you should market this one, most anyone with an 03 lens would get one. If you are willing to make me one just tell me what it would cost.

12-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If there are any plans to produce these for sale, I'd be in for two if they are not outrageously expensive.

Very clever design, barely noticeable when mounted.

Scott
12-22-2013, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
I'll make a batch

I don't know what they will cost, but it won't be too much.

3D printing is an additive process of manufacturing, the opposite of the subtractive process. In the subtractive process, raw material is cut, drilled, machined, milled into the final product. Think of taking a 2X4 and drilling a couple holes and putting a notch in one end. That's subtractive. The additive process starts with nothing and builds layer upon layer of a material, typically plastic. The most common is like a computer controlled hot glue gun that melts layer upon layer to get the final part shape. There are many materials that can be used: plastics, metals, rubbers, clear polymers, paper, foods. I tell people that if I can imagine in on the computer in 3D, I can build it in 3D. Pretty amazing stuff.
12-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Shapeways

Maybe upload it to Shapeways - Make, buy, and sell products with 3D Printing

12-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #8

Original Poster
A batch is printing (has been printed)

PM me if you are interested, a few bucks each plus shipping.
12-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by K10Perry Quote
Is it just me or is the focus ring overly sensitive and prone to be moved every time you look at the camera? I have done various versions of tape to maintain focus but that is tacky. (I liked the blue painters tape best though. Easy to remove and no residue.) I have a solution if anyone is interested.

I designed a ring with a small tab that fits into the focus ring knurl. While it is not "continuous" focus, it jumps between notches, there is enough DOF to cover a fraction of a click. I've been using this for 6 months with no problems. I do have 2 pieces of double stick tape holding the ring in place. I love it, it looks cool and much easier to live with than tape is. The ring was modeled in SolidWorks and printed on an Objet printer with a 24 micron resolution. You could not print this with a common FDM Makerbot type printer. ( I have access to various 3D printers and have those too, so I know their capabilities and I've been 3D printing for 11+ years.)

What do you think?
That is ingenious! Cool looking and a Great design. Sure beats my Scotch Taped 03.

Rick
12-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I wonder if this will also fit on the 04 toy wide?
12-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Forum Member

Re: 03 Lens

QuoteOriginally posted by K10Perry Quote
PM me if you are interested, a few bucks each plus shipping.
Hi Perry
Cool piece of gear,shure beats my mini "O" ring fix.
I'd be interested in one,as long as you are willing to
ship to Vancouver.

Best Regards
Ted Hinsch

Last edited by Teddy 738; 12-29-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: missed a word
12-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
I wonder if this will also fit on the 04 toy wide?
I honestly don't know, but if you can measure the barrel in front of the focus ringa couple times&let me know, I'll let you know? :-)

Perry
12-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #13

Original Poster
IJrinted a dozen focus locks and have some available. Unfortunately, I went on vacation and forgot them at home so won't be able to mail any out until next weekend or later. $3 + shipping, and I'll ship anywhere. US shipping is $6, priority. Overseas, however, will cost more, between $10 and $30 USD. It depends on whether you want priority or standard postage. Just let me know shipping method and I'll get you a $ number.
12-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget to PM me your Paypal info.
12-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Don't forget to PM me your Paypal info.

Same goes for me Perry but email please.

Ted H