Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
In my opinion, Pentax should come out with a faster standard zoom, a wide-angle prime (developed from the GRD IV's lens) and a longer telephoto, to take advantage of the tele centric nature of small sensors. Another speculation on my part is that I think a third party will start to make lenses for Q. My money is on Kenko-Tokina or Tamron.
Yep... I'd love all of that stuff to happen. It would be awesome if a third party would start making lenses in the Q mount, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Providing it's possible to do without sacrificing much IQ, I'd also like to see a superzoom in the 28-200mm equivalent range.

A couple of things I think would be neat to incorporate into the Q:

1) An add-on EVF

2) Software that would allow you to create and download custom filters and effects, and save them to the camera for access via the quick-dial. What I have envisioned is something with an interface similar to Snapseed or Filter Forge that would allow you to open an image to preview the filter you're creating. You'd be able to save however many custom filters your hard drive would hold, and load them to the camera via USB. Perhaps there could also be a internet community of users that could create and share filters and effects. I could see 6 quick dial positions instead of 4 coming in handy with such a setup.

I think if it was marketed correctly, the software idea could boost the popularity of the Q system.

Just a couple o' thoughts anyway.

12-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm not so sure about that. The original Q doesn't look like many corners were cut with it's production. The 1/1.7 sensors of the time couldn't do HD video, so they were faced with an uncomfortable choice: release the camera with a small sensor or release the only MILC system which can't do HD video.
OK - that's a better reason the Q has the smaller sensor, but I still beleive the lennses were designed for 1:1.7 and the body changed later to accomodate the more capable sensor.
12-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Today I was talking with one of Pentax Malaysia guys about the Q system, at first he mentioned the new Panasonic GM1 camera and I found that they are planning to compete with that camera as a serious competitor to the Q.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The tougher question is what will the next Q camera be called!
Q5
12-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Today I was talking with one of Pentax Malaysia guys about the Q system, at first he mentioned the new Panasonic GM1 camera and I found that they are planning to compete with that camera as a serious competitor to the Q.
Also he mentioned there will be a successor for Q7, but not next year.

12-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Ricoh knows exactly what they are doing. It is what was planned from the start. When Japanese companies build a new product category they tend to go all out with the first model.

Look at Sony when they brought out their first SACD highend stereo player in 2000ish. It was $5000 and built like a tank. It was a statement piece. Then they brought out less expensive units.

Pentax did the same thing with the Q. Metal body built like a tank. Expensive like a tank. Then they reduced it's price and brought out less expensively built models to bring more people on board. When enough people join in there will be another ultra premium built body.

The Q system is very tough to explain quickly. There is the fun side and the serious system side. The designers of the Q knew this from day one. That is why we have premium lenses and toy lenses. It also explains the color options. In the past cameras were pigeon holed into one camp or the other. The Q is fresh and breaking new ground by being a mirror that reflects what the customer wants it to be. It is a stroke of design and marketing genius.

Some feel the Q has left the serious user for the fun, Quirky one. Not true. They have brought out an 80-200 f2.8 eq. constant aperture zoom, cool fisheye, and ultrawide zoom. They also increased the Q7 sensor size while keeping the body basically the same size and price.

Growing a new system from scratch takes time. They are doing something right since according to JPT, they are out selling the canikon effort in Japan. Think of the budget differences in that battle!

thanks
barondla

monochrome is right, Ricoh has a plan. Give them time to implement it. I couldn't be happier.
12-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have the original Q with the 01, 02 and 06 lenses, as well as the Pentax K-to-Q-mount adaptor and even the Pentax OVF for the 01 prime. All purchased new but at a significant discount to MSRP. Just last week, I ordered a Q7 body from B&H. Make no mistake: I've enjoyed the Q up to now and one can't say that I haven't committed to the system. But I have the unopened shipping box from B&H with the Q7 inside it sitting before me... and I'm trying to decide whether to open it or send it back.

It's not that I don't think I can have fun with the Q7 or that the image quality won't be better than the original Q. It will be. It's really more a realization that there are better and more-useful options out there for the money. The Olympus Stylus 1 is one comes to mind with its 1/1.7" sensor and 28-300 f/2.8 constant-aperture lens. Yes, it's $699 but I could take the Q7 back, sell off my existing Q gear and have a decent amount of money left over after buying the Olympus. Or I could buy a Ricoh GR for slightly less money than the Oly right now. I could also put the money toward a K-3.

The price of the new Q-mount wide-angle zoomis one thing that bothers me a lot. It tells me everything I need to know about Ricoh's plan for the Q system going forward. I am simply not willing to spend that kind of money to add new lenses to my Q system. That kind of price is more K-mount territory.

So it's not that I haven't enjoyed the Q to this point. I certainly "got" the Q when it came out and was prepared to invest in it when the prices came down a bit. But because of what I see coming for the Q down the road - higher prices for a small-sensored system that was intended to be fun - I have to consider bailing. I'm only thinking aloud here and I don't mean to rile any Q enthusiasts - after all, I've been one myself. And I'd like to hear your thoughts.
12-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
And I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I just want a fast wide prime and a fast telephoto prime. That is all.

12-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Yep, imo the future for Q MUST include more quality primes. Small size should be the Q's selling point, the primes emphasise this and allow quality as well.

Last edited by saladin; 12-29-2013 at 03:18 PM.
12-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But because of what I see coming for the Q down the road - higher prices for a small-sensored system that was intended to be fun - I have to consider bailing. I'm only thinking aloud here and I don't mean to rile any Q enthusiasts - after all, I've been one myself. And I'd like to hear your thoughts.
In my experience, when someone mentions fun to a Pentax executive there is an immediate pushback. Pentax wants the talk to be about how capable the Q is.
12-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the original Q with the 01, 02 and 06 lenses, as well as the Pentax K-to-Q-mount adaptor and even the Pentax OVF for the 01 prime. All purchased new but at a significant discount to MSRP. Just last week, I ordered a Q7 body from B&H. Make no mistake: I've enjoyed the Q up to now and one can't say that I haven't committed to the system. But I have the unopened shipping box from B&H with the Q7 inside it sitting before me... and I'm trying to decide whether to open it or send it back.

It's not that I don't think I can have fun with the Q7 or that the image quality won't be better than the original Q. It will be. It's really more a realization that there are better and more-useful options out there for the money. The Olympus Stylus 1 is one comes to mind with its 1/1.7" sensor and 28-300 f/2.8 constant-aperture lens. Yes, it's $699 but I could take the Q7 back, sell off my existing Q gear and have a decent amount of money left over after buying the Olympus. Or I could buy a Ricoh GR for slightly less money than the Oly right now. I could also put the money toward a K-3.

The price of the new Q-mount wide-angle zoomis one thing that bothers me a lot. It tells me everything I need to know about Ricoh's plan for the Q system going forward. I am simply not willing to spend that kind of money to add new lenses to my Q system. That kind of price is more K-mount territory.

So it's not that I haven't enjoyed the Q to this point. I certainly "got" the Q when it came out and was prepared to invest in it when the prices came down a bit. But because of what I see coming for the Q down the road - higher prices for a small-sensored system that was intended to be fun - I have to consider bailing. I'm only thinking aloud here and I don't mean to rile any Q enthusiasts - after all, I've been one myself. And I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I am having a hard time understanding your thoughts on the Q7. Yes, the ultrawide zoom is expensive for the Q. It isn't an easy lens to make. We know the Q hates purple fringing and ultrawides love to do it. One lens doesn't show the the total direction of the Q system. At the same time they announced the least expensive lens for the Q system- the Mount Shield lens. This lens doesn't show the total direction of the system either. Except that Pentax is broadening the system. The Q UW may be as expensive as some K lenses. It isn't as expensive as an equivalent K lens. Wish I could have bought the Pentax 12-24 for this price. The Q fisheye cost far less than the 10-17 FE zoom, and I use the Q FE more.

The Olympus is a nice camera that imho is a poor investment( as are most non interchangeable lens cameras). It is cheap now, but there is no upgrading of electronics or lens. You are already upgrading the Q to Q7 and it still works with your lens investment. You already have the Oly range covered with the two zooms and 01 prime. Most of this range at f2.8.

The Pentax adapter allows greater reach than the Oly and even the K-3. In this instance neither do what the Q does. I can't see ever getting rid of my Q.

Hang on to your Q system - it is the future.
thanks
barondla
12-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hm, what next for the Q system? My list includes....

...an upgraded Q2, with the same sensor (or better) as the Q7, with the serious retro look of the Q (let me have a white option, please) and in metal as the Q. The Q10 and the Q7 don't do anything for me with their look and plastick-y feel.

...prime lenses. I have the 01, 02, 06 and the fisheye toy, and I almost exclusively use the 01. While you are at it, dear Ricoh, make an equivalent of "the three amigos" in Q-mount: metal-barrel, that "feel" and as good optics as you can come up with for a "wide angle", "a normal" and "a moderate tele" - think, my old-time favorites from the OM days of a 14/2, a 55/1.2 and an 135/3

Also, a macro lens would be great. Not sure if that's in the cards, but I feel that there's some potential in that space.

I'd be ready to pay a premium for this.

Why? The Q fits in my briefcase, in my overcoat pocket, and is always with me, as "the best camera is the one you have with you". And I like "things that feel nice", especially if they also are perfect tools for the job. The Q was going in that direction, but the lenses and the Q10/Q7 stopped short.

By all means, keep the plastic fantastic Q7 series and lenses going, but offering a higher-end upgrade path....

As an anecdote....

I have yet to have a meeting where my neighbor wasn't fascinated when seeing the lil' Q in my briefcase, had to fondle it, and (5 of 6 times) went out to acquire one him/herself, in part because of the "real feel of class and quality" that the metal body of original Q produces. I'm not saying that this is a major market, but it is *a* market, and perhaps one which may be willing to cough up a bit of a premium.....can Ricoh afford to say "no" to that?
12-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #27
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Biro - When I saw the Stylus 1, I didn't like everything about the controls, but the EVF is really good. It seems to be on a par with the OMD series Olympuses. And Olympus JPEGs are nice. If the high-end Q were like that with a Q-mount on the front, I think many people would be happy.

barondla - I agree that wide-angle zooms tend to be expensive for any system. The ones for m4/3 are also expensive when compared to other m4/3 lenses. I think there is an expectation that any system should have a standard zoom, a tele zoom and a WA zoom and Pentax prioritised those.

mtux's comments about a new Q model are very interesting. I think a high-end Q will go back to the build quality of the original, have an EVF option, have wi-fi features, maybe a vari-angle screen like the MX-1 and a bigger battery.

It's interesting that the Lumix GM1 is doing very well in Japan despite it's high price. One of the things that makes that camera viable is its collapsible kit zoom. I wonder whether Pentax can design a lens like that for Q.

If Pentax releases a new Q model, it will be time for a new roadmap, because they have now delivered most of what was promised previously.
12-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In my experience, when someone mentions fun to a Pentax executive there is an immediate pushback. Pentax wants the talk to be about how capable the Q is.
I believe that. The Q is quite fun. That's why I have one. In terms of capability, it's only fair. No amount of marketing-speak will change that until the hardware gets better. When the original Q came out, we knew the lens circle could handle a sensor larger than 1/2.3". And, lo, we have the Q7 with a 1/1.7" sensor. I don't imagine the Q lenses can handle much more. A 2/3" sensor like Fuji uses, perhaps? But the irony is, as the hardware gets better, it's going to become more expensive. How much do I want to pay for a system like this? Not what I think Pentax is likely to be asking before long.
12-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #29
Forum Member

The Q lenses are of very good quality. As for a SLR, it is an investment that can be dispatched over time (although a bit expensive to my taste, see 08).

Upgrading from Q to Q7 was a delight, both for quality at higher ISOs and the larger angle of view, without forgetting the faster autofocus !
Passing from Q7 to Q5 will probably be great too.
As electronics improves faster than optics, I think it is a good idea to have exchangeable lenses. What about the pleasure to re-use a good nice oldie lens on a brand new body !
12-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #30
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
Yep, imo the future for Q MUST include more quality primes. Small size should be the Q's selling point, the primes emphasise this and allow quality as well.
If you look at the fact that the 3 Q models sold 7.8% of the Japanese mirrorless numbers in the lastest BCN data (scroll down to see the mirrorless data), and all 3 placed in the top 20 for the year - then is is easy enough to conclude that the Q system has a long product life ahead of it.

This will include more lenses - Ricoh/Pentax are selling lots of Q cameras so it makes sense to have more lenses and other accessories available to increase your overall sales. Something to look forward to.

What is evident from the BCN data is that the Q is far more popular in Asia than it appears to be in North America / Australasia / Europe as a % of total sales - so it would be fair to conclude that Japanese home market fashions and requirements are likely to drive the Q system camera, lens and accessory developments.