Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I can see a high resolution EVF and a higher resolution touch screen on the next Q. That's easy to guess.
Easy to want, at least. Much harder to predict.

The higher-resolution reach LCD seems somewhat plausible, even on a relatively mild refresh of Q7.

The EVF seems like more of a long shot -- Pentax/Ricoh has not embraced the EVF, nor touch screens. For the Q I think I'd prefer a two-model strategy -- a Q7-like model (no EVF, polycarbonate construction), and a second slightly upmarket model with EVF capability (preferably built-in, probably upper corner like GX-7 or NEX) and nicer build materials (a la ur-Q). Maybe even an articulated rear LCD. I'd want to see at least a decent EVF even if not quote state-of-the-art.

Would be nice to include an orientation sensor as well -- I don't know why Pentax seems to think this is optional in digital cameras. Many other cameramakers include these even in bog-standard models.

Lens-wise, if they make the tele/macro prime ~f/2 that would be good enough. I agree that the mediocre standard zoom lets the system down, a better Mark 2 that's a little faster, sharper, and maybe a little more compact (if doing these all at once is possible, otherwise, prioritize sharper, then faster, then compact in that order).

Lots would like a good fast wide prime, I won't argue with that but I think a longer telephoto zoom is probably equally important as (like the 06 and 08 zooms) it can help differentiate the Q from other advanced compacts -- I think I'd like to see it reach into super-zoom territory, maybe 400-600 equivalent, hopefully this can be done without resorting to apertures smaller than f/4.5 or lens being particuarly large/heavy -- maybe something like 24-105/4. It's nice that the adapter exists but wouldn't the average user rather have a full-featured autofocus zoom including ND filter, etc. for this purpose without the weight/bulk needed for larger sensors?

11-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #32

Hi everyone.
I´m new here, I have a Q camera and I enjoy of it, but I have some doubts and expectations.

anyone know or have a real idea about the future of Q system, will be available more lenses, electronic adapters for other lenses...???

Will be possible of using four thirds and micro four thirds lenses...???

or do you consider that Q-S1 will be the end of this serie...???

What could you recommend if someone have the idea of buy a new camera, in my case, if I want a new pentax, should I buy a Q-S1, or put my sight in other camera series...????

thanks in advance
11-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aprendiz_82 Quote
Hi everyone.
I´m new here, I have a Q camera and I enjoy of it, but I have some doubts and expectations.

anyone know or have a real idea about the future of Q system, will be available more lenses, electronic adapters for other lenses...???

What could you recommend if someone have the idea of buy a new camera, in my case, if I want a new pentax, should I buy a Q-S1, or put my sight in other camera series...????

thanks in advance
This is kin to asking when will the government become efficient. To get the answer to these questions, go to your nearest fortune teller and ask them to dust off their crystal ball and look deep into it for answers. While such questions do stimulate conversation, NOBODY, knows what is next for Pentax. Sorry to say but all you can hope to get is wild speculation or regurgitated unsubstantiated rumors. A review of past postings to this forum will give you some idea of previous predictions. The future is adrift with no known course of direction. All we know for sure is what we have available to us today.
11-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aprendiz_82 Quote
Hi everyone.

thanks in advance
I'll agree with CWRailman that predicting the future of the Q is difficult at best. All we can do is offer our own personal opinions and see how things actually turn out.

From what I can gather out of interviews with Ricoh, they are committed to the Q system. That is the company's answer to the question of mirrorless. The bigger question is how dedicated is the market to the Q. If the Q doesn't sell then I imagine that Ricoh will scrap it. That's extreme though, right? We've seen major four models of the Q (Q, Q10, Q7, and Q-S1) and there are eight native lenses available for it. There are many adapters available for the Q system which allow mounting "normal" lenses to achieve a telephoto effect. That comes with a price from both your wallet and some lost functionality (autofocus and mechanical shutter). The Q was released in 2011 so everything you see in the market has evolved in a relatively short of time = 3 years. That doesn't count the work done in the background prior to release. I would say that the Q ecosystem is healthy but small. The Q system really lives and breathes in Japan where it is much more popular than anywhere else in the world. That still pales to u4/3 and the like.

The biggest limitation of the Q system is the sensor. It is currently of the 1/1.7" type. That is slightly smaller than Fuji's 2/3" type and significantly smaller than u4/3. This means the camera system will always be competing against premium compacts. You will always have small lenses with a very, very large depth of field. That's just physics for you. Having interchangeable lenses offers the photographer more creative control.

Sensor technology is always advancing. The u4/3 system is catching up to APS and I think the 1/1.7" sensor tech will catch up to 1" or u4/3. Even at 150 DPI you can make massive 26" x 20" prints from the 4:3 ratio sensor. Just compose your shot correctly, use low ISO, don't over saturate, etc. Follow all the typical best practices. Oh, and don't pixel peep! Yes, that means view from a distance - as you should!

The biggest advantage I see of the Q is the user interface and functionality. It is made to function like a mini-DSLR. Accessing Av, Tv, and M modes is very easy compared to some other systems. Many compacts don't have a thumb wheel for function manipulation.

I think the Q is made to be a high horsepower camera in the smallest possible package - not just body but in body+lens. u4/3 systems can have a small body but the lenses are bigger.

If all of that is too much then the Q may not be a good fit for you. Something like a Sony RX100 may satisfy you better.