Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
New uses for quick dial

Q is one of the very few bodies having a four-position customizable quick dial.

Q offers several uses for the dial :
- Smart effects
- Custom image
- Digital filter
- Aspect ratio

Q7 added new uses for Quick Dial :
- AF/MF
- Peak On/Off
- ND filter On/Off

To me, it seems that parameters that have only on/off or two-state values are not the best suitable for the 4-way dial. However, it is nice that Pentax offers the choice. ND filter (damned, why is my image so slow ?) is typically the parameter that requires several button pushes to be changed.
The users (like me) that shoot raw and prefer to apply special effects in post-processing will not be very interested in the smart/custom effects. But it is good to have choice to please the majority.

Please do indicate below your best ideas for the four-position dial (for future firmware enhancements).

12-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Four focal lengths dial

So let's start.

Here is my first idea : I shoot a lot with fast manual zooms that do not have electric contacts. So I have two choices :
- either adjust once the focal length in the menu with the shortest value -> but stabilization will be less efficient with long focals
- either change the focal length each time I adjust the focal on the lens -> what a hassle !

The idea would be to have four customizable values of the focal length for the dial. Ideally, I would just have to type the minimal and the maximal focals and the Q would interpolate the two other values. Say, for instance that I use a 10-100mm. I would type Min=10, Max=100 and the Q would understand that
- Position 1 if 10mm
- Position 2 is 40mm
- Position 3 is 70mm
- Position 4 is 100mm
Ideally, positions 2 and 3 could be interpolated automatically but could be customized afterwards if required. It may be nice to make correspond the position to the marks indicated for focal length on the lens (for instance : 35mm)
In the best of the worlds, several configurations could be defined for easy retrieval in case of lens change.

Tell me what you think of it...
12-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For binary options like AF/MF or Focus-peaking On/Off, dial could be configured to control two of these things.

Example:

1 - AF without FP
2 - MF without FP
3 - MF with FP
4 - AF with FP

Configuration could be done where you pick two binary (toggle) settings and the firmware blends them into the four possibilities, perhaps in two slots -- which slot each setting is specified dictates the blend order.

Problem is that configuration might be rather confusing, so it might be easier to have Pentax/Ricoh just build this option in with a single setting.
12-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
For binary options like AF/MF or Focus-peaking On/Off, dial could be configured to control two of these things.
Nice idea Andrew ! I think it could be very usable.
Jean-Christophe

12-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

From a hardware-perspective, I think it might be nice if P/R might put another customizable button on the face of that dial (or really, anywhere else they want to) -- Q system could use another function button, so I don't have to choose between AF/AE-L etc. OR the traditional green button functionality.