Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So I finally made the jump to Q - Building up a system!

Yesterday I received my new-to-me original Q with an 01 prime. The body has 3070+ shutter actuations (of which 150 or so of them are mine) but it is in immaculate condition. I have to admit that I am absolutely smitten by this little camera! The 01 prime is plenty sharp wide open for on-the-go discreet shooting. Under the right lighting conditions I feel confident going up to ISO 1000. Some of the response and lag times could be improved. Maybe that's where the Q10 steps in? I haven't felt like I missed a shot that I would have otherwise gotten with my K-30. The jury in my mind is still deliberating but the overall vibe is positive.

What I really want to do over time is build up a Q based system centered around a Q7. Like many here I have noticed that the 01, 02, and 06 lenses by themselves are more expensive by themselves than buying them in a kit. I've used this month's camera slush fund on another original Q kit to get the 02 zoom from Newegg. The 01 kit had a black body and the 02 kit will have a white body. Once I receive the second kit I will sell one of the bodies. The 01 kit I bought came complete with all cables, manuals, packaging, etc but the 02 kit will probably have higher resale value because it's new and a color other than black. I'm hoping next month to get an 06 but that will probably be a lens I will have to buy as a stand-alone item - hopefully used. From there I will probably go in numerical order or something to get the other lenses. In the mean time I hope the price of the Q7 continues to drop. It seems that lenses do not drop in price as readily.

01-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get the 03, most fun lens ever!
01-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Glad you got a Q! It is such an addictive machine. Make sure it and the lenses have all the firmware updates. Never had a system benefit more from updates.

Stock up on batteries ( Q loves them). Luckily a lot of other cameras use the same one. My Kodak Playsport battery interchanges with the Q. Have fun and Post some pics.

thanks

barondla

The Q is a serious photographic instrument!
01-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I brought myself a Q and 01 from PF Marketplace for Christmas- plus some adaptors so I can mount my K and M42 lenses.

What a fun camera to use. I am sure you will enjoy the system.

Once you have one and start using it you 'get' what the Q is about, which is impossible reading the spec's and looking at reviews.

I am very pleased that I have a Q

01-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think what makes the Q fun to use is that it offers the control of a small DSLR while offering the spontaneity of a point and shoot. It feels like you need to tap more into your intuition than your intelligence. That sounds like an odd thing to say but I think back to Henri Cartier-Bresson. Wasn't he the one who said something like how does a painter know when to use whatever colors he chooses? The painter doesn't stop and think about it intellectually. He works off of his instinct and intuition. Ahh, I can't remember the exact quote or how the saying went! I have to think about this more.

The Q is very much about the here and now. It's about the spontaneity of the present and feeling the pulse of the moment. A DSLR lends itself better to slower, deliberate, and anticipated shots I think. A point and shoot doesn't offer the same control and processing for taking your shots. The Q sits in a special sweet spot.
01-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yea I think having nearly full DSLR controls on such small body is what makes it 'fun' to me. Panasonic's GM1 is similar size to Q but offers m43 sensor, which should be able to produce much better image quality than Q; but it's not the same having to rely on menus.

Enjoy the Q!
01-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The Q is very much about the here and now. It's about the spontaneity of the present and feeling the pulse of the moment. A DSLR lends itself better to slower, deliberate, and anticipated shots I think. A point and shoot doesn't offer the same control and processing for taking your shots. The Q sits in a special sweet spot.
I think you are right
01-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, switching between the controls of a Pentax DSLR and a Q is pretty intuitive, almost too intuitive as I do things like "looking through the viewfinder" automatically.

01-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
Get the 03, most fun lens ever!
Seconded! The 03 is a great little lens.
01-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter

With the 03 (Fisheye) and an extra battery in one pocket, and 06 (Telephoto) in the other, you'll be good to go. I carry my Q/01, everywhere. In fact, when we leave the house, my wife always asks if I have my camera with me. If I see a good deal on a Q7, I might grab it; but until then, I'm quite content with the Q. Post-processing wise (LR5.3+NIK plug-ins), I develop its DNG images the same as the ones from my K-3... Easy... Peazy!

You are in for a ton of fun... M