Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 147
Newegg Q vs. Target Q10

Perhaps from someone who owns both a Q with 02, and a Q10 with 02 - you could advise which to get.

I understand the Q7 is superior - but its out of the budget.

Use will be primarily telephoto (birds etc.) using adapter (Fotodiox) and M42 Takumar primes.

Perhaps a second question - is the $250 Pentax adapter worth it compared to Fotodiox for this application?

Thanks for your advice!
Chris

01-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
Personally, I'd go with the original Q over the Q10. They're both the same camera, except the Q has a magnesium alloy body rather than plastic, and stereo mics for video.

I'd certainly like to have the Pentax adapter with the shutter, but I get good enough results with the Fotodiox for now. I can wait 'til the price drops on the Pentax adapter.
01-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
Agreed, get the Q if you can.
The Fotodiox will do most of what you want and is a great way to start for a small investment.
If you get serious the Pentax adapter is desirable.
You can preview what your lenses can do by checking to see if they are listed in the adapted lenses sticky at the top of this forum.
01-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
EricBrown's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 695
Yes, I agree. I would choose the original Q. I have the Q and sold it. But, at this price I may pick it up again. I really miss using it!!

01-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
Another vote for the original Q... Q 10 is pointless from my point of view.
The worthy upgrade of the Q is Q7.
01-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Another vote for the original Q... Q 10 is pointless from my point of view.
The worthy upgrade of the Q is Q7.
I see on ebay kenmore camera has the same refurbished Q as newegg for $10 less, just a heads up!
01-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,064
Newegg gives you a "free" bag though unless they ran out of them and the camera is new I think (vs. refurb).
01-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 147
Original Poster
Q it is...

Thanks all for the feedback. Q it is. Pulled trigger on Newegg after reading carefully to see if it was a refurb. Nowhere did it say refurb as far as I can tell.

Got today the Fotodiox M42 to Q adapter. Found out the hard way there are at least two versions - V1 and V2. V2 has an internal ring at the base of the M42 threads that looks like it will interfere with the open-aperture do-dads of the late SMC Taks. A 55mm F2 earlier Super Tak seems to seat OK. The V1 - the one you want - has no internal ring. Threads end 'in space'. No problem with later SMC.

I see there is a third version with a tripod mount. Does anyone know if it has the stupid ring, or is 'ringless'? Info appreciated!
Chris

01-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Got today the Fotodiox M42 to Q adapter. Found out the hard way there are at least two versions - V1 and V2. V2 has an internal ring at the base of the M42 threads that looks like it will interfere with the open-aperture do-dads of the late SMC Taks. A 55mm F2 earlier Super Tak seems to seat OK. The V1 - the one you want - has no internal ring. Threads end 'in space'. No problem with later SMC.
Do you have a late SMC Tak to test with? I don't, nor do I have a Fotodiox adapter with the ring, but I have several M42 adapters for EF that have a ring. On those, the ring is very modest, covering only about half the stop down pin, and will not interfere with the aperture indicator on an SMC tak. It will hit the indexing lug, but those are short, so you can probably still focus to infinity.

(The ring is there because various non-Pentax M42 lenses have no way to stop down without it.)
01-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 147
Original Poster
V2 Fotodiox M42 to Q NG for late SMC Taks

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Do you have a late SMC Tak to test with? I don't, nor do I have a Fotodiox adapter with the ring, but I have several M42 adapters for EF that have a ring. On those, the ring is very modest, covering only about half the stop down pin, and will not interfere with the aperture indicator on an SMC tak. It will hit the indexing lug, but those are short, so you can probably still focus to infinity.

(The ring is there because various non-Pentax M42 lenses have no way to stop down without it.)
Tried a SMC 50mm F1.4 rubber ring (w/ open metering) on Fotodiox V2 (w/aperture Flange). No Good. While it looks like it might be seating, the flange jams the focus, preventing lens from moving back to the infinity (and a lot before that) position.
01-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scio, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 103
Tripod mount on any adapter for any lens of any significance, like over 50mm, is a must. I would cringe at hanging my 90/macro on the Q and mounted to a tripod.
01-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 147
Original Poster
NewEgg Q Arrived...

White Q at $189 arrived from NewEgg. Appears NIB/NOS. Packaging HOYA. Camera assembled in Phillipines. 02 Lens in Vietnam. Updated to 1.14 camera firmware and 1.01 lens and seems just fine.

Included camera bag not worth $29 - but 'for free'.. OK. Camera and 02 fit fine and snugly.

Happy so far...

Thanks all again for the advice!
Chris

PS 01/10/2014 2:34 EST - just checked... The White Q and 'free bag' still showing at NewEgg. Black one is gone.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by cahudson42; 01-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.
01-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
White Q at $189 arrived from NewEgg. Appears NIB/NOS. Packaging HOYA. Camera assembled in Phillipines. 02 Lens in Vietnam. Updated to 1.14 camera firmware and 1.01 lens and seems just fine.

Included camera bag not worth $29 - but 'for free'.. OK. Camera and 02 fit fine and snugly.

Happy so far...

Thanks all again for the advice!
Chris
Nice! Now out with you and come back with some pictures .
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, camera, fotodiox, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q lens equivalents for Q/Q10 vs Q7 Docrwm Pentax Q 41 06-27-2013 03:05 PM
Q vs Q10 Lowell Goudge Pentax Q 10 03-31-2013 02:25 PM
Q10 vs Q mdodrill Pentax Q 8 02-26-2013 01:16 PM
Q vs Q10? Sagitta Pentax Q 10 01-30-2013 05:52 PM
Q10 arrives. Q10 vs Q comparison images. barondla Pentax Q 6 10-29-2012 09:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top