Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for durability - it really depends on the girl. some are very responsible and protective of their gear, others are...not.

Do get a nice wrist strap, though - one she'll use. Let her pick out the color and style, but it should be able to secure to the wrist. Probably find a little pouch, too - that can't hurt. The more ownership the kid feels the better.

There are also some lens hoods usable on the 02 and 01 lenses, which greatly help protect the lens, though the 02 ones do increase the size.

01-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
As for durability - it really depends on the girl. some are very responsible and protective of their gear, others are...not.
My daughter is very protective but she would love a fancy strap or bag. I have seen loads of accessories for the Q.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
White Q with 02 zoom $199 at Newegg PENTAX Q 15170 White 12.4 MP 3.0" 460K LCD Digital Camera with 02 Standard Zoom Lens - Newegg.com
This looks like a great deal, but I don't think they will ship to Denmark. :-(
01-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good job pontax! Both of you will love the Q. You will be a two Q family in no time.

Years ago my friend's son shot with a Pentax Super Program. He was 4 yrs old. He exhibited at the photography store. Darn good images. Never broke the camera.

Had parents looking at cameras for their kid. Find out the kid is 16+ years old. When I would show a decent $200-300 camera, parents would say we can't trust them with any thing that expensive. When asked if the kid was driving a car, the answer was almost always "yes".
thanks
barondla
01-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I'd suggest Mx-1

Why?
1. Better screen.
2. More compact depth compared to Q with the 02 zoom.
3. Its zoom is higher quality than the 02 zoom.
4. it looks nice (although the Q with the standard prime is probably equally as nice)
5. Its cheap.

HowieB

01-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
When asked if the kid was driving a car, the answer was almost always "yes".
Lol

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I'd suggest Mx-1
Why?
1. Better screen.
2. More compact depth compared to Q with the 02 zoom.
3. Its zoom is higher quality than the 02 zoom.
4. it looks nice (although the Q with the standard prime is probably equally as nice)
5. Its cheap.

HowieB
Also an option or maybe the X5?
01-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #21
Inactive Account

First 'Real' Camera...

When my Daughter was 12 she got a Pentax F with its then standard 55mm F1.8. While it was open aperture metering, she did have to learn about ISO, F-stops, and shutter speeds. I think this is essential to learning to be a good photographer. She joined the school Photo Club, learned all about it. This Christmas when she was 30, I gave her a K-01 with a nice collection of my old M42 Takumars. She took right to it - and had no problem fully understanding and utilizing the new kit.

Her twin brother, on the other hand, never showed much interest in Photography until recently, when he got 'hooked' using the simple iPhone point and shoot. I gave him a similar K-01 kit also only with M42s. But his 'learning curve' is now substantial.

So my suggestion would be something that is not only 'automatic everything' - but also capable of teaching 'the basics'. For example, a K-01 with an 18-55 kit lens, and then a manual telephoto - perhaps a K-mount 135mm or so (avoids the M42 30120 adapter which may be frustrating). Or a manual zoom in the 80-200 range. (But don't skip the Primes so she sees the difference in IQ)

I personally use both a K-01 and a Q (mainly for bird/extreme telephoto shots). I think the K-01 would be a better 'starter', as the 1.5x crop factor allows a nice gradual move into manual lenses after the 18-55. Like even perhaps a nice 50mm F1.4 for Portraits (as well as longer telephotos).

The extreme crop factor of 5.6x on the Q means even the manual 50mm F1.4 becomes a long telephoto - close to 300mm.

On the other hand, if bird shots/nature is 'her thing' - then the Q.

Really, there is a place and use for both the K-01 and the Q together. Thats why I ended up with both - K-01 first, then Q to fill in the 'missing' manual M42s on the wide end - and extreme low-cost telephoto using lenses like the M42 Takumar F5.6 200mm on the long end.

1/24/2014 - another choice just came up compared to the K-01 and 18-55, is the newly lowered price on a K-500 at WOOT. $399 with the 18-55, $499 with the 18-55 and 50-200. This is now about the same cost as a NOS K-01 with the same lens(es). For this you get the additional flexibility (complexity? obsolescense?) of a pentaprism, mirror, OVF, and PDAF/exposure sensor...

Last edited by cahudson42; 01-24-2014 at 10:06 AM.
02-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #22

That will be a very nice gift