Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K10Perry Quote
Sure, we could easily print 3 inch long versions. :-)
marvellous !
How about concertining cylinder for variable length ?

edit: might need super pogos though

Last edited by Transit; 01-31-2014 at 05:19 PM.
01-31-2014, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

If it's of any use I've just yesterday designed and printed an adapter to fit my Q10 to a lab microscope. You might use the camera side of it if you don't feel like making one from scratch. You could also probably use a reverse of it as the basis of the lens side of the tube.

I intend to post it on thingiverse but haven;t yet because there are some improvements I want to do. Nevertheless you might find it useful in its current form.

The changes I have in mind are first to put a top marker dot to help align with the red dot on the camera. The other thing that needs fixing is quite trivial - I put a little block in the middle at the top of the model just to slow down the pace of printing to allow cooling. The problem with it is that I made its connection to the barrel too fragile and it broke off during printing.

Here's the sketchup file:

Pentax Q microscope adapter

Despite looking a bit rough it fits perfectly to my Q10, neither too hard nor too loose but YMMV depending on printer calibration. Note that it is scaled up x10 so you have to down scale it accordingly.

Regarding the pogo pins, great idea but be careful because they usually have rather sharp points and might damage the Q's contacts as you turn the bayonet into position. Filing them round is not an option because then you lose the gold plating and get a very unreliable contact so try to find ones with rounded rather than pointed ends. I have never managed to get hold of blunt ones except by scavenging from discarded equipment, but probably I just didn't look enough.
01-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The most popular application of pogo pins I have seen in my work is for creating a spring loaded "bed of nails" that come up from a test fixture to make electrical contact with the bottom of a printed circuit board. This test fixture interfaces to a computer or National Instruments controller to cycle a series of signal through the pins to the circuit board. A system like this can test some basic features and functions of the board and the manufacturing process. Was the correct component installed? Was it installed correctly or backwards? Does the component power on and generate the right voltage, etc. It's not meant for a full functional test. In this use case the pins are typically very narrow and sharp since the contacts on the board are tiny.

However, pogo pins come in all sorts of shapes and flavors. Some are big, some are small. Some are needle-like and others are concave like little cups. It's a matter of finding the right ones.

Here's a link to an image I found through Google's Image Search.

As you can see, there are many types available. Finding them and buying them may be a bit more difficult since the applications are typically more industrial / commercial vs. personal projects.
02-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Still measuring and thinking about the project. I can find .5mm pogo pins with rounded compression ends but finding one with a flat opposite end is not as easy in the length we want/need. If a supplier can be located.......

02-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K10Perry Quote
Still measuring and thinking about the project. I can find .5mm pogo pins with rounded compression ends but finding one with a flat opposite end is not as easy in the length we want/need. If a supplier can be located.......
What if you were to use two pogo pins for each contact, one facing the camera and the other the lens and solder them together? The lens would have to be rotated a few degrees to accomodate the offset but that should make no difference whatsoever except for possibly looking a little odd.
03-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting idea. Seems like it could work lister6520.

What if we just bought the toy wide, took the rear mount with flat contacts off and 3D printed a tube to fit it? Then the other end could have the female bayonet with Pogo Pins. It could be a simple kit to bolt together.

thanks
barondla
03-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #22

No reason it would not work, assuming a chip didn't get in the way. But a real expensive way to go.

This is still on my radar of things to do, but it is back burner for now. (I have an arduino windshield wiper control project I need to wrap up now.) If someone could help to find an exact pogo pin around 8 or 10mm long, flat on one end and round the other at the correct diameter, that would be great.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Interesting idea. Seems like it could work lister6520.

What if we just bought the toy wide, took the rear mount with flat contacts off and 3D printed a tube to fit it? Then the other end could have the female bayonet with Pogo Pins. It could be a simple kit to bolt together.

thanks
barondla
03-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Took the Toy Wide mount off for a look see. There are 10 or more little surface mount parts ( probably resistors) on the lens mount + a chip. It would not be easy to solder wires to the small electrical contacts. So small.
thanks
barondla

p.s. Mounted your 3D focus locker on the toy wide today. Works well

05-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K10Perry, if you haven't seen the other extension tube thread, a Chinese company has produced a set for our Q! They come in a set of 3. All electrical contacts are replicated, and AF even works. Unfortunately, the three tube sizes are 10, 16, and 21mm. The 10 might allow the 01 to focus at about 3mm at infinity.

Think you could take one of these tubes and 3D print a shorter tube to bolt inbetween the lens mounts? I could send you a tube to copy. Everyone could buy the new tubes from you. Interested?
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 05-11-2014 at 11:23 AM.