Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax Q 3D printed extension tube project.

This idea originated when K10Perry designed and printed the fabulous fisheye and toy wide focus locker. You can read about that and the beginning of this subject in that thread.

I asked K10Perry if he could print an extension tube for native Q lenses on the Q. This could really open up macro photography with the Q. He is looking in to it.

Any encouragement, ideas or suggestions can be posted in this thread.

thanks
barondla (wish I was half way smart enough to 3D print something)

01-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you make the spot where the contacts go solid material, I may not be too hard for anyone who wants to try to drill out the points for contacts and glue in some short brass or aluminium rod to enable full contact between body & lens (id be willing to give it a crack anyway!)
01-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the interest in this.

If all that's needed for contacts is a hole and flat spots, they can easily be built in. It is a matter of finding time to fire up the 3D scanner and printer. :-)
01-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too am interested.

QuoteOriginally posted by K10Perry Quote
If all that's needed for contacts is a hole and flat spots, they can easily be built in.
I don't even think this is entirely necessary. The tubes can be used like a K mount adapter on the Q. All you have to do is make sure the shutter on the lens is open. It is closed by default when the camera isn't on, but if you take the lens off of the camera when it is on, the shutter will stay opened. Of course this will only allow you to use the lens on the tubes with a completely opened aperture.

My whole point in saying this is that if you cannot make a connection between the camera and the lens through the extension tube, not to give up because there is a less than ideal that is still viable.

01-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would love to see a macro extension tube. My vote on the contacts is to find a way to have them for aperture control, shutter control, and even AF capabilities. If it's a matter of printing a void in the extension for insertion of a small diameter metal bar then let's do it.
01-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I would love to see a macro extension tube. My vote on the contacts is to find a way to have them for aperture control, shutter control, and even AF capabilities. If it's a matter of printing a void in the extension for insertion of a small diameter metal bar then let's do it.
I agree. If it's possible than all the better.
01-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Great plan, very interesting

01-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Contacts are a must!
There are already so many easy macro options with the Q that unless the extension tube preserved the full (all) functionality of the 01 lens .. idk what would be the point?
01-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Agree with digital029art, we need the contacts. Without contacts, as already mentioned, we lose the leaf shutter ( which allows hand held flash at 1/1000), adjustable aperture ( we don't want to shoot wide open wasting the Q dof). Don't think it has been mentioned yet, but with premium Q lenses we also lose the ability to change focus. It takes power to activate the focus by wire.

With all the intelligent people on this forum, we can figure it out. We only have to transfer these electrical signals about 8MM. K10Perry can build the mechanics. We are almost there. Just need to figure out how to allow people to retro fit the contacts. This is why it is called a project!

Don't give up people.
thanks
barondla
01-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #10

First, i agree that there are other solutions for macro work existing. Personally I love my Q->K adapter with a 90mm macro. Truly awesome and bulky! I also use a +4 close-up filter that works nicely.

Getting a scan of the mount and doing the modeling then printing is fairly straightforward. For me, it is the 10 itty-bitty little pins that are spring loaded to contact the back of the lens. Flat spots on the body side with brass inserts seems simple enough. Pins with springs and wired interconnections...... Ideas? I can visualize it and with unlimited manufacturing resources, I could do it. I don't have the manufacturing capabilities unless there is an existing product that can be re-purposed for this. I was initially thinking ripping the guts out of an old doner lens. But looking at the pin size and pitch (distance center to center of each pin), I'm no longer so sure. So, again, thoughts/resources/connections?
01-29-2014, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about using pogo pins?
01-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #12

Pogp pins!

I had never heard of such a thing. If the correct size can be found, perfect solution!
01-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow! Pogo Pins! There are so many choices. One of these has to work. Great find 6BQ5. Exciting development.

The electrical contacts have always seemed the sticky part of this project. In only a few days the project has progressed greatly. It looks like this could really happen. So cool.

I think 3D printing is the wave of the future. With every home having one. Need a Eplacement part? Download the specs file from the company and print it! No waiting and no shipping. Parts on demand. Amazing future.

thanks
barondla

American highend turntable manufacturer VPI brought out a 3D printed tone arm with incredible sound quality.
01-30-2014, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Are we allowed to request for other 3D printed things? If so, I humbly submit the following for consideration.

Make Your Own Acura NSX With a 3D Printer

01-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #15

Sure, we could easily print 3 inch long versions. :-)