Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #1
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
An answer to the small sensor question

Greetings,

Not sure if ya'll saw this, but there was a pretty interesting comparo over on DPReview: a couple of smartphones vs. a Nikon D800 and, perhaps more interestingly, Canon EOS 10D, 20D, 30D and 40D, both slow and fast Fuji film. The results are quite surprising, especially for the crowd that dismisses the Q/Q7 because of sensor size. Be sure to look at the low light section; shockingly, non-photographers in blind testing preferred pix from the smartphones over the Canon dSLRs...

Smartphones versus DSLRs versus film: Smartphones versus DSLRs versus film: A look at how far we've come: Connect

Of course, my entire take on pixel peeping has always been the same. If I'm the editor of a high-end pub and I need a photo, I'll take Ansel Adams with a disposable camera over the next guy through the door with a D800...

cjf

01-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #2

The margin difference in the canon models is what really surprised me lol, looks like it's best to stay away from upgrading every year.
01-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A similar comparison started a lengthy debate that settled into bickering in another sub forum.
In the end I think we decided that it proved for web based stuff it doesn't matter what you use since the image has been downsized too far to see a difference.

I personally threw the whole other test out for not taking the same pictures with all cameras involved for a direct comparison, and for not providing anything in its original resolution where the differences would be comically glaringly obvious at even 50% of original size.
01-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor technology is definitely improving. And the Q offers all the manual controls, interchangeable lenses, and recording raw, that the smartphones lack. Who knows, maybe the Q is the future!

01-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Actually my prediction in another thread was smart phones working up and things like the Q working down to squeeze point and shoot out of the market since anyone who would just want a fixed lens point and shoot could use a phone.
Probably still have a few bridge cameras for the people that want more optical zoom with a fixed lens though.
01-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another take on phones/small sensor cams vs DSLR's is the same study done about 20yrs ago by Pop Photo in regards to P&S 35mm, APS film, 35mm SLR and medium/large format film. Same findings were given back then. The reason is that the general masses tend to congregate around images they feel are real, widely viewed/shared, and easily duplicated by themselves. Too many times a good photo will be labled as faked/tricked/photo shopped/or outright professional and too "good" and therefore can't possibly be recreated. Therefore won't like it for biased reasons they probably are not even aware of.
01-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
Greetings,

Not sure if ya'll saw this, but there was a pretty interesting comparo over on DPReview: a couple of smartphones vs. a Nikon D800 and, perhaps more interestingly, Canon EOS 10D, 20D, 30D and 40D, both slow and fast Fuji film. The results are quite surprising, especially for the crowd that dismisses the Q/Q7 because of sensor size. Be sure to look at the low light section; shockingly, non-photographers in blind testing preferred pix from the smartphones over the Canon dSLRs...

Smartphones versus DSLRs versus film: Smartphones versus DSLRs versus film: A look at how far we've come: Connect

cjf
The science of sensors for the past 8 years is well addressed here: Sensor Performance Using whatever sensor you have to its best capability is a different issue.