Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just purchased a Q

I decided to use some of the $$ I've been saving for a new lens for my K-30 and spring for a new original Q. Body only, with all accessories in an unopened box was only $99. Curiosity got the best of me. Not that I need more cameras . . . I have the K-30, a Sony NEX-5R, and a few P&S collecting dust in a drawer. I typically rotate between the K-30 and and 5R depending on my needs/whims for the day.

I also bought a Fotodiox C-mount to Q adapter. I have numerous legacy lenses for both the K-30 and 5R, but I don't anticipate adapting any of them for the Q except 3: a C-mount Fujinon (Japan) 35mm f/1.7, a Cosmicar C-mount 25mm f/1.4, and a D-mount Wollensack Cine Raptar 38mm f/1.4 (as I recall) with a D-mount to C-mount adapter ring. This is all mainly for photographic exploration and fun; I certainly don't intend for the Q to supplant either the K-30 or 5R. I also have in mind eventually using it for aerial photography. I used to do that a lot with my old P&S Nikons, and the thread about the DJI Phantom lofting a Q has my interest peaked again.

Looking forward to seeing what the Q is all about.

Tony

01-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations! I bought my own Q from newegg.com not too long ago and it is a fun camera to use. The form factor enables a lot of interesting shots that a bulkier DSLR would find difficulty with.

Go crazy with it!
01-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The little 01 lens is nice and sharp and small, if you do want to buy a Q lens.
01-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Boris & Terry.

Tony

01-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bought new Q to use with Canon FD lenses

I just got a new-in-box Q camera, hoping to put to use some of my 30-40 Canon FD/FL lens (both FD and FL versions of the 55 mm f 1.2, for example) These are just lying around and not yet ready to give away to Keh. I would appreciate advice/information from anyone having experience with any of the FD to Q adapters/converters that are on the market, particularly which is best adapter to purchase.
01-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just remember one thing... if you expect stellar results, you got the wrong camera.
However, if you expect to just have fun snapping pictures away and just enjoy the pleasure of photography, with decent image quality, you have the right little thing .
01-31-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
. . . if you expect to just have fun snapping pictures away and just enjoy the pleasure of photography, with decent image quality, you have the right little thing .
Very well said. I love snapping photos and trying to get the very best from my equipment.

Tony

01-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just remember one thing... if you expect stellar results, you got the wrong camera.
However, if you expect to just have fun snapping pictures away and just enjoy the pleasure of photography, with decent image quality, you have the right little thing .
crewl1, hnikesch, barondla and others might take you to task on that.

Q Can Do
01-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
crewl1, hnikesch, barondla and others might take you to task on that.

Q Can Do
The original Q can perform, no question about it, but what I am trying to say by that is that is not as good as let's say... MX-1 or the new Q7.
Will give good results... but not as great as others.

I've only mentioned it because a lot of people after they get the Q (and expect stellar results), they get disappointed very fast and start complaining.
I like my Q and what it can do.

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-31-2014 at 09:09 AM.
01-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the inability of the Q to deliver stellar results.

Hopefully the picture above loads correctly. That one of my boys feels pretty stellar to me!
01-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the inability of the Q to deliver stellar results.

Hopefully the picture above loads correctly. That one of my boys feels pretty stellar to me!
It is a good image... good...
But it is stellar to you because is your family and that makes perfect sense!

However, for an outsider and a critique, these are closer to stellar: http://www.boredpanda.com/animal-children-photography-elena-shumilova/ (ignore the ones that are over-edited). Yours will be considered very good snapshots - and that's what the Q is for.

I'm not trying to derail the thread so I will leave it at that.
So, congrats Tony - enjoy your Q as well .

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-31-2014 at 09:24 AM.
01-31-2014, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would this be stellar enough?

Original Q 06 lens at f:3.2

Original Q 01 lens at f:1.9
01-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heinrich, those photos should be stellar in anybody's book. They are in mine.

Tony
01-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote

Two good looking models for sure!
01-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote

Heinrich, those are really good pictures. That's an outstanding portrait of you.