Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #1

I love the Q but...

I have been using the Q for about 2 years. It has given me some of my best photographs. I love the camera and how versatile it is.

But...

I feel like I want to move onto something a little more advanced. I could probably pull a lot more out of the Q but I simply do not have a lot of money to keep it + buy a new camera. Selling the Q (01 Prime Lens, 03 Fisheye, plus a few other accessories) would put me into the financial situation where I could afford a K50 or possibly a used K5.

I really wish the Q had a viewfinder (I tried LCD Loupes and had mixed emotions about them). I've been using other DSLR from people and just enjoy the experience of photography more when using those types of cameras.

Has anyone here used the Q, sold it, then moved onto a DSLR? Did you regret selling the bundle of joy that the Q is? I know I would. I guess the biggest issue for myself is the size. I carry the Q everywhere. I am not used to carrying a DSLR around. Will I get over that through time?

Just looking for some advice from people who own both a DSLR and Q or people looking to buy a DSLR after using the Q. A friendly discussion!

Thank you!

02-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You can buy the original Q so cheap now I feel it's not worth selling. It's a unique 'cult' camera worth keeping even if you only bring it out at parties.
I fell in love with mine and used it more than any other camera for almost a year, now the MX-1 and the K-01 get the most use. But I don't think I'd ever sell my Q and the 06 lens I bought later because it's just not worth selling.

I have a well used K-7 but I don't carry it with me, it's too big with my preferred 300mm lens on it. I don't think I'd like to be down to just one camera which is a DSLR.
I take it when I know I'll need it.
02-02-2014, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #3

I don't have much advice on that since I started out with a dslr but I just wanted to say that those are some stunning photos you have there.
02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went the other way around. I don't have a Q, but I have a K-r and K-01. And the K-01 is similar to the Q, only bigger and K-mount. I prefer to use the K-01 over the K-r.. so I have to say that the grass might not be much greener. And you already take great photos.

I think Steve wrote well. You can try getting a used DSLR with a nice viewfinder, so you can see if you like it. That way, you know whether to commit or not. And you can still sell it without a substantial loss. You can even get a used K-5 at a very reasonable price, and that will keep you happy for a long time. Or a K200D - great camera with all sorts of features. And no live view at all!
Another option is the K-500. It is a stripped down K-50, but much cheaper.

02-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
Just looking for some advice from people who own both a DSLR and Q
I'd been using two K-x's and a K-5, when I picked up two Q's cheaply a year ago.
I use one with the adapter as a teleconverter, and the other with the 01 or 02 lenses.
There are lots of times when I take the Q and 01 or 02
because even a K-x would be too big and obtrusive.

Like other posters have said, it's worth hanging on to your Q.
You can get a good used DSLR for a couple of hundred bucks.
02-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Have nothing to add to the advice, but wanted to second Sdenby--fine photos indeed.
02-02-2014, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Hang on to your Q. Buy a used 10-14mp K series. Start collecting inexpensive lenses from eBay or pawn/thrift shops and yard sales.
02-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would carry a Q around a lot more than my K-5 so I would come up with a plan to add a DSLR instead of replace the Q with a DSLR.

I currently go back and forth between adding a Q and the Ricoh GR as my portable camera.

02-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Q, FD Canon lenses

I just ordered the Q plus a Fiodiox adapter to enable me to use some of my 25+ Canon FD lenses. I am really looking forward to seeing how the Canon FD 55mm f 1.2 performs.
02-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
You can buy the original Q so cheap now I feel it's not worth selling. It's a unique 'cult' camera worth keeping even if you only bring it out at parties.
I fell in love with mine and used it more than any other camera for almost a year, now the MX-1 and the K-01 get the most use. But I don't think I'd ever sell my Q and the 06 lens I bought later because it's just not worth selling.
I agree with Steve. you might get a couple of hundred bucks out of everything, but you'll regret selling it. If I were you, I'd pick up a nice used K-x or similar body and keep the Q. The K-x is a great camera and it's a couple hundred bucks on the used market.

I have two Pentax DSLRs and the Q, and they serve somewhat different purposes. The Q is my "fun", daily driver camera, though you can of course take serious photos with it. I break out the DSLRs to do more serious stuff, action, and for higher ISO shooting. Between my DSLRs and the Q, the Q gets more use.

Personally, there's no way I'd part with either the Q or my DSLRs.

Good luck!