Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Last fall I went on a three week trip......

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

....to Germany. I hadn't been there since 1956 so I didn't really know what to expect. I wanted to travel reasonable light so I left the K5 at home and just took the original Q with #1, #2, #3 and #6 lenses. When I was packing my wife says: why don't you take my Q body as well, you never know. So I did but didn't trust that tiny wrist strap on it and went to the camera store, spent $ 27.95 and bought a decent strap. One day about half way through the trip, I get out of a car, the Q is dangling from my wrist when the "substantial" strap decides to let go and Q with #2 attached hits the cobble stones. There was no visible damage to camera or lens but both were history. After my return I sent them to Pentax Canada for repair, estimate came back for $ 375.00, I declined to have it fixed and bought the wife a Q10 with #2 lens and saved a hundred bucks. Oh yeah, I got my money back for the strap. Sorry for the long story, here are a few very random samples from that trip:

If anyone is interested, the whole trip is here: Germany trip 2013 Photo Gallery by Heinrich Lohmann at pbase.com

Last edited by Heinrich Lohmann; 02-04-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling
02-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing these. I don't generally think of Germany having the Dutch style wind mills.
02-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those are some interesting pics with some nice variety. I really like the last one. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your bad strap experience!!
02-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I don't generally think of Germany having the Dutch style wind mills.
if u check the dutch anthem ... the first line is "Wilhelmus van Nassouwe, ben ik, van Duitsen bloed..." translates to "William of Nassau, scion Of a German and ancient line..."

02-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to my part of the world Heinrich
Next time let me buy you a beer ...
seriously: great captures and I am impressed by the results you have created with the Q!
02-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Thanks for sharing these. I don't generally think of Germany having the Dutch style wind mills.
You are welcome, these were taken in Ostfriesland, only a couple stone throws from the border with Holland.

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Those are some interesting pics with some nice variety. I really like the last one. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your bad strap experience!!
Thank you for the kind comments and you are welcome. As for the strap, nothing is perfect, if man made it sooner or later it will break. Wish it been later though.

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Welcome to my part of the world Heinrich
Next time let me buy you a beer ...
seriously: great captures and I am impressed by the results you have created with the Q!
Hi Norbert, thank you for the invite but I think your beer money is save, chances of me repeating this trip are just about nil. Once you get the hang of the Q it is a capable little camera.

Take care,
02-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are great shots, the Q looks like a wonderful travel kit.

For straps you can't beat the Nintendo WII strap, it is meant to catch hand held objects flung at high speed.
They are what I use, they are comfy and reliable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Nintendo-Brand-Wii-Remote-Controller-Wri...item5afb4d4ad2

02-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #8

Really nice shots. What is the sailing ship?
02-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
Forum Member

I use the Nintendo Wii strap with my Q also. Can be had from Nintendo's webstore for a buck a piece plus shipping.
02-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific shots, Heinrich. Here is a photo of the Elbe from my most recent trip to Germany.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/123731-no-more-tests-just-...ml#post2477993
02-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Those are great shots, the Q looks like a wonderful travel kit.

For straps you can't beat the Nintendo WII strap, it is meant to catch hand held objects flung at high speed.
They are what I use, they are comfy and reliable.
Genuine Nintendo Brand Wii Remote Controller Wristband Wrist Strap Black x 3 | eBay
Thank you and now the Q7 is even better. I ordered two of the straps.

QuoteOriginally posted by kosmoejtg Quote
Really nice shots. What is the sailing ship?
Thank you, the sailing ships name is "Seute Deern" translated: Sweet Girl. It's part of the naval museum: Bremerhaven Photo Gallery by Heinrich Lohmann at pbase.com

QuoteOriginally posted by hoffo Quote
I use the Nintendo Wii strap with my Q also. Can be had from Nintendo's webstore for a buck a piece plus shipping.
Thank you, got some already

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Terrific shots, Heinrich. Here is a photo of the Elbe from my most recent trip to Germany.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/123731-no-more-tests-just-...ml#post2477993
Thank you, that is a very nice shot. Unfortunately I did not get to spend time in Hamburg.

Take care everyone
02-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing. I don't think you miss anything using the Q for casual shooting.
02-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Terry, thank you and you are welcome.
02-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Fantastic selection of shots, Heinrich! Just judging by this taste, you are a master of exposure and color. That window, the windmill, those doors! Wonderful.
02-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate it. I did not take a tripod, not even a monopod but the SR saved the day on a number of occasions.