Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #1

Lens Recommendation for Q10?

I bought pentax q10 for it's portability and style. (red and black. paid $199 at target.com)

I'd like to have some lenses. I do typical shootings like scenery, buildings, interiors and people (I say 'tourist style')

I want to have a lens that will give me vintage, lomography like look.

I am looking at ebay and saw some interesting Wollensak lenses.

It looks like those were made for vintage cameras.

Would that be a good choice?

With a stock lens, F 4.0 is the lowest. so I am thinking I should get below F 3.0?
I believe mm doesn't matter since I don't use zoom often and I am willing to walk further to get a close up shot?

There are lenses that create those black circle ring edges, what are those? are they built like that or do they create such effects on certain cameras?

02-04-2014, 04:05 AM   #2

Original Poster

Check out this video. I wonder how it would came out if it was filmed with stock lens.

I love that 'vivid yet faded'??? look.
02-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #3

Sounds like you might get some fun from the original 03 Fisheye lens... although it's F5.6
02-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by masterh Quote
I want to have a lens that will give me vintage, lomography like look.
Honestly, I think you'd be better off doing that with software for a couple of reasons... 1) You can easily get exactly the look you want. If it's done in-camera, you're stuck with what you get. and 2) You won't have to spend any money. You can google around and find some free software out there that will do pretty much anything you can think of. Also, Snapseed isn't free, (it's $20) but it's great.

The 03 fisheye is a great lens, and every Q owner needs one, but it's not a lomo-type lens.

Good luck & have fun!
Bob

02-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Id suggest trying out the in camera effect modes on the Q, that is exactly what they are for!
02-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
well I know you can use effect modes or just edit it by click of a button with a program.

why do people use different lenses then? Is Q10 too low end camera so that buying extra lenses are wasting money?

I think I will go with wollensak cine raptar.
02-04-2014, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

different lenses are mainly for different focal lengths (wider angle, more telephoto etc)

in the case of the fisheye lens (03) you can get a different effect like this

02-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I think I won't use fish eye lens that much. I should definitely get wide angle lens though.....

02-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The only really wide angle lens for the Q atm is the 08 wide (just released) which is quite expensive. On the Q7 the 02 zoom is reasonably wide though

The fisheye is very wide obviously, but has the fisheye effect and isnt really THAT sharp, awesome fun though and quite cheap. Worthwhile investment in a good time taking photos
02-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #10

The lomo effect that you wanted to achieve with the black ring surrounding is basically an extreme fisheye... ??? A wide angle is a great lens to have & I will get one myself, but I doubt it will achieve the effects or style you are looking for... It will however fit more into your photo in a very mature manner, great for architectural & landscape photography
02-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by masterh Quote
well I know you can use effect modes or just edit it by click of a button with a program.

why do people use different lenses then? Is Q10 too low end camera so that buying extra lenses are wasting money?

I think I will go with wollensak cine raptar.
First, I have to echo what GibbyTheMole said. Try playing around with some software to get the effect you may be looking for. Where we once dodged, burned, and filtered now we click, highlight, and mouse around. It's still post processing but in a different flavor so it's all valid. Not everything happens in-camera. Plus, a lot of software doesn't cost any money. It's just time to download, play, and learn. Lenses are fun but cost money.

People buy lenses for all sorts of different reasons. One reason I buy lenses which seemingly make no sense when looking at focal lengths and such is that each lens offers a different tactile and physical experience. They all react a little differently to the same environment and to the same shooter. I like this variety. Some lenses are a real struggle to work with and they push me to try different things that I wouldn't do otherwise. For example, I'll take a soft lens and stop it down to f/7.1 or f/9 to sharpen it a bit and take it out in the later afternoon / early evening. The lens is sharper but the shutter speeds are slower. Now my eye starts looking for something that I can capture vs. having my mind think about what I am missing. Maybe I'll pop my flash that I otherwise keep concealed. Maybe I forgot to take my tripod with me so I start looking for whatever rocks and sticks I can stack to build a stand for my camera.

I'm not too keen on in-camera effects because I know I can find essentially the same effects in a software package. When I'm out shooting I want to keep my attention on my environment and my subjects. I can do all the post processing at home. Other folks enjoy what I call the "island experience". The camera effects are like being on a small island where you're not distracted with email, web browsing, etc and where you have a few limited tools. Your window to the image is a small 3" screen. It forces another kind of concentration which my eyes aren't very good at.

The Q system has eight native lenses which seems small compared to larger sized sensor systems. I think the lenses cover a wide enough focal range for the average Q user. The effects lenses are there for creativity where ultimate sharpness is not the goal. If telephoto is your goal then Pentax has answer for you with their native K-Q adapter. For additional manipulation I think you should look at some filters. I have been gentlyexploring filters to change the image and it's another experience too. Beyond that I think software and in camera processing is the next logical step.
02-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Actually a good "lomo" lens would be the 07 cap lens, also cheap
02-28-2014, 04:41 AM   #13

Original Poster
So im going to try one of those old 8mm camera lens. Im not too concerned with mm since I dont zoom too much. But I have a question about aperture. I guess I should buy something lower than 2.8 since stock one offers that( without zoom obviously)
and how does it work with camera? Stock lens have some electric connection. So as I zoom it, it automatically adjusts aperture and shows exposure level.
Getting this lens means everything would be manual? Since it wont show whether its too dark or bright thus I need to adjust shutter speed all the time (prefer using m mode) I will have to take 2x 3x more photos to get the right brightness I believe... maybe its too much hassle to get those lenses that doesnt have electric connection to the camera.....
02-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that will be all manual, though the camera can adjust some exposure variables.

If I had to just use one lens on the Q it would probably be the 01 prime. It's the best quality one. Then really play with the in-camera settings and the lightroom settings to get vintage looks. Merely switching to a sepia tone does wonders that way.