Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #1

when Santa Claus looks pink...

In the last 1 1/2 years with my Q I have always been unhappy with the rendering of "red" under artificial light with my Q, which is often shifted to magenta. Especially in christmas time, this is extremely annoying to me, as it means that for example Santa Claus can often look like dressed in pink instead of the classic red. Unfortunately, even with RAW I haven't been able to fix that problem. The only thing that helps is the usage of the flash to change the lightning situation. Has anybody else made the same experience under artificial light, and does anybody know if the Q7 would be better in this respect?

Thanks for any help!
Christian

02-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the Q have a white balance mode?

If so, you can play around with the WB and see if it works out, another thing you could do is shoot in RAW and then go into Adobe Photoshop, open photos with CameraRAW and manually adjust the WB either using the presets or a custom one.
02-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. I have already tried this, but it doen't help either. All other colours will only look odd but the reds remain pink.

I rather seems to be an issue of the sensor (more red than the sensor can handle), or a question of image processing in the camera.
02-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it's a characteristic of the modern Pentax. My K-30 has a rough time with reds too. They get shifted to different hues or some unnatural saturation. I shoot in RAW so I can correct for this but it is noticeable. Maybe it's part of their algorithm where they had to give up red rendering for something else?

02-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm... Perhaps adjusting saturation/vibrancy would help?
02-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think it's a characteristic of the modern Pentax. My K-30 has a rough time with reds too. They get shifted to different hues or some unnatural saturation. I shoot in RAW so I can correct for this but it is noticeable. Maybe it's part of their algorithm where they had to give up red rendering for something else?
Thanks, maybe that explains why I like their rendering of a blue sky more than on my Canon DSLR. It has also been my impression that the general Pentax-rendering of red colours can have a small shift towards magenta, but it is usually still "ok" with my Q, at least under neutral daylight, and I really like their rendering of landscapes and the possibility to attach a polarizer.

However, for lowlight photography with the Q, this is another issue for me beside the small sensor and the slow standard zoom (especially because my Canon S110 seems to be much better in this respect...).

Last edited by shooty77; 02-06-2014 at 02:01 AM.